IGNORED

Tyre blow-out

Dave Parry

Hi all,

I recently had a rear tyre blow-out on my R1100RT.

I was in lane 3 of the M3 between junction 5 and 6, travelling at 70mph and suddenly heard a loud bang, there were no control issues, in fact I first thought it was mechanical, (thrown a rod for instance!) there was some vibration and being in the outside lane all I had to do was move to my right a few feet onto the little bit of hard shoulder on that side. What I found was a hole in the rear tyre about 4 inches in size, not a "hole" as such but 3 cuts radiating outwards from the centre of the tread area with lots of broken wire strands sticking out and 3 flaps of tread flapping Immediate thoughts were that i'd run over something but I don't think that's likely, partly because I think I would have spotted it and steered around it and if I hadn't I would have probably gone over it with the front first!

Carole Nash were excellent and recovered me whithin an hour or so and got me to a local tyre company who fitted a new tyre.

The tyre was an Avon Storm, been on there for around four years, done around 3000 miles, tread was still very good and i'd checked pressure the day before as I was doing a journey from Kent to Exeter.

I had Puncturesafe in there, installed it soon after I fitted the tyre.

When I inspected the inside of the tyre I found that in the area surrounding the damage the rubber was very "soft and squidgy", i'm wondering whether because the bike was unused for the first few months of this year could the Puncturesafe, laying in a pool at the bottom of the tyre have caused some degraging of the rubber?

The only other thing I can think of is whether I had got a puncture at some time which the Puncturesafe had sealed and had left a weakness which now caused the failure?

Any comments most welcome and apologies for this long post.

Hi Dave.

The M3 is not a good place for a blow out, especially lane 3! Mind you there are very few good places to have that happen. Glad you are safe and sound. Also I was pleased the Insurance company (Carole Nash) sorted you out with the breakdown recovery. As to the effect of the potion you had slooshing around inside your tyre...I can't comment. I don't like, or use the stuff.

Thanks Andy,

I can't wait to get the front tyre off now to have a look inside to see if there's any clue to the cause, I won't be using the stuff anymore. I am glad I was in lane 3 though, I wouldn't have wanted to get to the hard shoulder from lane 2, at least I only had to move over a few feet!

I replaced the front tyre yesterday, had a good look inside the old one for any signs of damage but all looks fine so I can't blame the Puncturesafe for causing any deterioration of the rubber in the recently blown-out rear one.

There is still the possibility of course that there had been a puncture in the past which had been sealed by the Puncturesafe which then failed so I won't be using it again.

Thanks for all your replies chaps.

That's what I don't like about any of the self sealing solutions. While I'm not opposed to running a well patched tire, I at least want to KNOW it has had a hole - or HOLES in it, and with the self sealers you really don't know what's going on.

There was a string of reported tire delaminations with AVON storms a number of years ago. One story.

Another cause could be age. You say you had them on the bike for 4 years but how old was the tire before it went on the wheel?

Hi, thanks for your reply, the date code on the failed tyre was 2010, so 7 years old. I will make sure that any tires I fit in future are whithin the current year! The new one fitted on my journey is 3217 and the new front one I fitted a few days ago is 3617.