IGNORED

The First C-Evolution Review In The USA!

moshe_levy

All-

Motorcycle Consumer News received the very first C-Evolution for press review in the entire country, and I just wrapped up my 3 week review period with it. What's it like to ride electric? What about range? How long does it take to charge? What if it runs out of juice? Everything you ever wanted to know about the C-Evo is in this video, the US press' very first in-depth review on this important new model from BMW. Tune in for the nitty gritty!

-MKL

Nice to see you on an electric :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if you've looked into Zero's offerings?

(Disclosure: I'm on month 5 of my relationship with a 2016 Zero DSR. About 6k gas-less miles so far)

I'm surprised by the low (relative) price of $13,750.

For perspective, what's the price of the model you tested?

Watched it last night. Nice work on the review. Makes me wish my commute was a little more scooter friendly.

Couple of notes......

#1 I am also surprised that BMW doesn't have it set up for their connectivity package. You would think that would be an immediate add on.

#2 How in the world did they get that thing legal in the US without accelerometer driven brake lights? Wow, thats just not safe......for anyone

Great review. I'm one of those folks that doesn't tour, so the idea of an electric motorcycle or scooter is gaining appeal. I spent this weekend winterizing two motorcycles, including oil and filter changes, coolant drain, fuel additives and other mods that I could skip with an electric. And, I'm currently riding a Suzuki Burgman 650 as my primary commuter vehicle, so I have no scooter phobia. For me, personally, any two-wheeler has to have a provision for some sort of locking topcase - I find it so convenient for light grocery shopping and picking up takeout. Not to mention being able to lock my helmet away when I'm out and about. And my work parking ramp has multiple charging stations that appear to use the common type of J-1772 type connector, so riding to work would be a snap.

Any two-up feedback? I do give my beloved the occasional ride home from work.

Having only to change tires, brake fluid, and brake pads sounds like a boon.

Having only to change tires, brake fluid, and brake pads sounds like a boon.

Thats the real beauty of an electric commuter vehicle. The lack of maintenance. I've had a Chevy Volt for 17 months. In that time, I've put almost 36k miles on it and the only thing I've done to it maintenance wise is rotating the tires. Due to the regenerative braking systems, they don't even burn through brake pads. I know of at least one Gen1 Volt owner that has already topped 400k miles on his car and is still on the original pads and rotors.

I have always enjoyed wrenching on my toys, but hated doing it just so I could get to work on Monday. I really hope some more companies hop in and start making this a real competitive market. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

#2 How in the world did they get that thing legal in the US without accelerometer driven brake lights? Wow, thats just not safe......for anyone

I'm driving a BMW i3, which has the same throttle-only driving, and it has brake lights that come on with deceleration. Given how much of the technology in the scooter is clearly borrowed from the i3, I'm surprised that feature was omitted. But perhaps the i3 already had the accelerometers in place for the stability control system, whereas they'd be an added cost for the scooter. Still, it IS a matter of safety.

Thank you everybody for the kind words. Let me address some of the questions:

>>>>I'm wondering if you've looked into Zero's offerings?<<<<<

I've been after them for 2 years to get a bike to test. Their fleet is in CA and I'm in NJ. Seems to be a logistical issue. If you know of anyone at Zero, please put in a kind word for me as a trustworthy reviewer.

>>>>How in the world did they get that thing legal in the US without accelerometer driven brake lights? <<<<<

Because it's not legally mandated yet. So they didn't do it. I think it's suicidal to ride a bike with this much regen and no decelerometer. I'd have one on it day 1.

>>>Any two-up feedback?<<<<

15% more torque than a standard C650 and by extension most other scooters, all available from 0 rpm. I don't think you will be complaining with a passenger.

>>>I'm glad you stopped wearing sunglasses in your video.<<<<

Just took some practice in memorization and calming down in front of the camera. Thanks for being patient.

-MKL

I really hope some more companies hop in and start making this a real competitive market. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Dyson plans to bring their version of an electric car to market around 2020 with the help of Sakti3 which they picked up two years ago.

Sakti3 developed Solid State battery's that are claimed to be around twice as energy dense as present day offerings.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2017/10/economist-explains-6

I've been after them for 2 years to get a bike to test. Their fleet is in CA and I'm in NJ. Seems to be a logistical issue. If you know of anyone at Zero, please put in a kind word for me as a trustworthy reviewer.

-MKL

Moshe,

Sorry, I have zero Zero connection(s) but recommend you become a contributing member over at http://electricmotorcycleforum.com

Introduce yourself & post your video including here

Pitch your proposal (to test/evaluate) a Zero & perhaps someone on the board can help make it happen.

Look for me as ESokoloff there.

-MKL

Moshe,

Sorry, I have zero Zero connection(s) but recommend you become a contributing member over at http://electricmotorcycleforum.com

Introduce yourself & post your video including here

Pitch your proposal (to test/evaluate) a Zero & perhaps someone on the board can help make it happen.

Look for me as ESokoloff there.

-Thanks!!!

-MKL