BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20
#999075 - 10/16/17 01:59 AM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
I absolutely get what you're saying. In this instance we're pretty flexible on every aspect other than finding a place that we thought could sustain the business we want to run - not because that's the most important thing in our world, but because that's what we're looking for at this time. If it doesn't work out, and so far it hasn't, we'll come up with something else. smile

*insert witty remark here*
#999103 - 10/16/17 06:18 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]  
Dennis Andress Offline
Boot Slayer
Dennis Andress  Offline
Boot Slayer

Port Orchard, Washington
Cool. Got a business plan? What did the bankers think of it?

#999140 - 10/17/17 12:07 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: Dennis Andress]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
Originally Posted by Dennis Andress
Cool. Got a business plan? What did the bankers think of it?

We do - a few versions really with one specifically tailored to Albany with local costing and all that. Your second question is harder to answer - ultimately since we got several rejections and no offers, I think it's safe to say they didn't like it. However, we had two very enthusiastic bankers when we made the initial rounds, as well as having the local SBA people on board. We carried on through a very - it seemed to us - slow/drawn-out courtship and application process at the end of which we were rejected. Laura got a very curt phone call from one (actually, that's incorrect - Laura had to call a few times to get one of them on the phone) saying the person with final say thought our profit margin projections were too high compared to industry standard. Other than that, once saying "no" we were not able to get very much information or even contact from either bank, and the official rejection letters very boilerplate and not helpful. In the end, we were pretty emotionally drained (and starting to be financially drained as well) having spent more than two months on the process. With that in mind we decided to move on and regroup/reimagine our next steps.

#999159 - 10/17/17 04:29 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]  
Dennis Andress Offline
Boot Slayer
Dennis Andress  Offline
Boot Slayer

Port Orchard, Washington
Sounds like ya'll have it together, even after rejection sucked the life out of your dream. Refine the dream and try again when you are stronger.

#999164 - 10/17/17 06:08 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
Thanks. I wouldn't say rejection sucked life out of the dream, but it did suck a lot of the enthusiasm for that particular property/town out of us, and the waiting gave us lots of time to reexamine exactly what it was we were looking for.

I'll throw an update on here with some pics next time we have good wifi. We're visiting some relatives a bit northwest of Chicago today, then heading down to St. Louis tomorrow - an old friend there has asked us to come and talk to a couple of her classes (she's a college professor now but of what I don't know!) about our trip...gotta put a mini slideshow together for that before I do anything "fun"...
wink

#999556 - 10/24/17 03:28 PM Re: Bakery Quest - 2016/17 Hacking the US with the kid and dogs [Re: szurszewski]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
Alright - let's get this thing caught up ... or closer at least...

I'm thinking I left off in the pictures shortly after returning to Albany from our eclipse trip to Tennessee (you have no idea how hard my brain has to work to spell that correctly!) - yeah? Yeah.

We got the rebuilt, again, FD back and expertly installed, by me...
[Linked Image]

...and then I got to take it off, put the boot on and install it again, and that worked pretty well.

Max BMW hadn't quite lived up to expectations and we had a couple of go rounds and ended up having them take the back end off again (as you probably recall they had just replaced the clutch before our trip to TN) to trace an oil leak that I was worried might be the new rear main seal. It actually turned out to be coming from where the bell housing mates to the engine case, so not related, but because of some issues with the first repair, they covered most of the cost of this one. Here's a hint as to what the issues were that first time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Apart from those spots there were several other more minor fastener issues - I don't really know if the person putting the outside parts (seat, body, etc) back on was the same as the one who did the more technical stuff inside the clutch, etc., but ... let's just say I was left with some doubts, which is not a fun feeling having spent about $3,000 with more than half of that being for the labor.

When I picked the bike up the second time, I checked the sidecar mounts more carefully - the struts were all tight this time, which was great, but this was a little loose:
[Linked Image]

Yep - that's the same mounting bolt that fell out on my way back to Albany from picking up the bike from them last time, after they'd just put in the clutch. Now, I don't really fault them for this - they're not a sidecar shop in any way (though, I do think something that obvious should have been noticed - especially on a bike a customer had brought back in largely because of the way it had been put back together that last time it had been worked on).

On the other hand, I DO expect them to be great at BMW drivetrain stuff - can you see what's missing from this picture?

[Linked Image]

Yep - the fancy stainless clamp on the front/large end of the boot. Sigh. They were friendly and all, but I can't say I'm planning on having any service work done there or buying any bikes from them... (but then the list of dealers I've bought bikes from is very short and the list of places I've had work done is not much longer, so maybe not much of a loss to them).

And while all that was happening we were still waiting to hear from the last of the bankers. Since you already know how that turned out, here are some things we did to occupy the waiting.

A little light hauling,
[Linked Image]

a refresh of the dog-box hardware,
[Linked Image]

new intake boots,
[Linked Image]

little hands help greatly in this endeavor,
[Linked Image]

but you can't work on the bike all the time - sometimes you've got to do a little school work

[Linked Image]

Did I say you can't work on the bike all the time? Well, maybe some of us can - the bike came back from Max without cruise control; it had worked on my way to drop it off, so that was a bit of a surprise. When they put the tank back on they were a little, uh, creative in their routing of the throttle cables and I think that contributed to the problem, but I believe the crud built up inside the twist grip was the main culprit - only had to take like everything off to figure this out wink

[Linked Image]

Eventually, we did run out of bike problems to fix and took our last couple of Albany days to rebuild a ramp at our cousin's place - little less steep now and with a handrail (this was mainly for selfish purposes and I wanted to stop having visions of her dad, who has vertigo issues, pitching sideways off the original ramp).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And that was about it. Well, we did make one more stop by the Max store in NY - to pick up some small parts I'd ordered a few weeks ago, and then called a week ago to check on and was told they thought they had them but couldn't find one.... well, they were all there. Picked up an extra seal and o-ring for the FD as well...just in case.... and took a few minutes to look over their wares before moving on.

[Linked Image]

Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20