IGNORED

Heath & Idle

Dann

For the second time in 3 days I got stuck in Stop&Go traffic (A lot more stop than go...)

Actually, close to an hour each time with the bike mostly at idle.

The temp gauge which is usually a little below the 1/2 level rose to 3/4

After a while, the engine started revving faster at idle. At one point it was a little over 2000rpm while sitting in neutral.

The temp never rose higher than the 3/4 mark on the gauge.

After traffic started moving more regularly, the engine went back to it's normal idle revving speed (about 1100rpm) when waiting at a traffic light, even though the temp gauge was still showing 3/4.

By the time I got home the temp was back to normal and the bike was behaving normally.

I know that this bike has no fan to cool it when idling. What really puzzles me is the increase in rpm.

Can someone explain this behavior?

For the second time in 3 days I got stuck in Stop&Go traffic (A lot more stop than go...)

Actually, close to an hour each time with the bike mostly at idle.

The temp gauge which is usually a little below the 1/2 level rose to 3/4

After a while, the engine started revving faster at idle. At one point it was a little over 2000rpm while sitting in neutral.

The temp never rose higher than the 3/4 mark on the gauge.

After traffic started moving more regularly, the engine went back to it's normal idle revving speed (about 1100rpm) when waiting at a traffic light, even though the temp gauge was still showing 3/4.

By the time I got home the temp was back to normal and the bike was behaving normally.

I know that this bike has no fan to cool it when idling. What really puzzles me is the increase in rpm.

Can someone explain this behavior?

Morning Daniel

Could be as simple as battery voltage related. The BMW 1200 hexhead has the ability to bump the idle RPM up if the system voltage drops below a certain point to increase alternator output. Using the brakes a lot at idle (like sitting with the brakes on, or even worse inching along with the brakes partially on ) can lower the system voltage. Also using a lot of accessories like heated seat, heated grips, heated clothing, etc can also lower the system voltage at idle & cause the engine electronics to raise the curb idle to increase alternator output.

Using the brakes a lot at idle (like sitting with the brakes on, or even worse inching along with the brakes partially on ) can lower the system voltage.
Evening DR

Thanks for the answer.

That's exactly what was happening