IGNORED

DIY Mounting car tires on rims?

elkroeger

So I finally learned how to mount my own moto tires a couple years ago. WOW, was that ever easy!

What about car tires? What do I REALLY need to get the job done - spoons, lube, and some ether? Couple beers and a friend perhaps? I'm looking at a P235/75-15 with a steel rim. Nothing special.

We used to have a guy come out and do the bobcat. took him like 10 minutes to remove and install a tire on that thing. All by hand, with the rim still on the rig. But then he also looked like he could take my lunch money pretty quick! Anybody's lunch money, for that matter....

I have swapped plenty of car and trailer tires using the exact same setup I use for my moto tires. Harbor Freight tire changer and one of Mitch's Mojo Levers. The lower the profile of the tire, the harder it is, but standard tires are usually very simple. Only other thing I typically use is a spray bottle of soapy water and a bar clamp to pinch the tire down into the middle of the rim as I slide the Mojo Lever around the far side of the bead. Only hang up with car tires is balancing. I get by fine not balancing my moto tires, but I wouldn't attempt it on a car tire. The car tires I've done have usually been to patch a puncture from the inside. I mark the tire location on the wheel, dismount, patch, and remount back in the same position so I'm not disturbing the balance. If I was messing around with an unbalanced set, I would take them somewhere afterward and have them properly balanced on a machine.

I've changed a trailer tire on a steel rim. It was about the same as doing an mc tire - I just took the motorcycle attachment off the HF tire changer and used the base. But, given the economies of scale with auto stuff, I'd just haul the tire and rim down to the local gas station (who does most of my car work) and have them do it. I doubt they'd charge me more than $20 or so.

Well with the input of you nice folks, I bought a set of new tires on ebay. They showed up today. That was a daunting stack of tires sitting in the driveway...

But by golly, I went out there with a bottle of windex, and my moto tire irons, and Voila! Took about an hour and a half to put all four on the rims, and pump them up. I was a little concerned about seating the bead. I used the same technique I used on my moto tires. Just put a ratchet strap around the tire, cinch it down and connect my little 12v compressor. Pop! Pop! Easy peasy. Now, I just gotta balance them. Was planning on doing that myself as well.

This is one of those things - I really don't intend to do all my tires myself, but I think it's useful to know how. Just in case. And its fun - Once, anyway.

Thanks guys!