BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#999732 - 10/27/17 01:08 AM Lowering the handle bars  
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
temesvar Offline
Member
temesvar  Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
Ontario
Was wondering if anyone has lowered the handle bars on a RT?
I have lowered the suspension and low seat, in order to make the bike more comfortable for my short inseam.
Now the handlebars seam a bit to high, so would like to lower/shorten them about two inches.
Could machine the upper yoke and mount a regular handle bar, but would prefer to keep the sturdy
two piece casted handle bars. Thanks for any suggestions!


2008 R1200RT
2007 Triumph Sprint 1050
Memories from the past:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900 Seca
1976 CZ 175,1966 Jawa 175, 1958 Jawa 350
#999897 - 10/30/17 12:52 PM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: temesvar]  
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,029
Tri750 Offline
Member
Tri750  Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,029
CA
Many of the gravity challenged riders choose to use the "Bar Backs" for the RT's no matter the generation.
This reduces the reach by a couple inches and may help you out.
The blocks actually raise the bars if you look at them but with the downhill slope of the top tripe clamp, they stay pretty level.
With an install time of 15min or so, it's might be worth a shot. Normally you need to snip a plastic zip tie or two to bring the bars back and turn them lock to lock without stretching the cables .


Classic Cycle Connection
Current:
1971 R75/5 roadracer
1973 Kawasaki Z1 roadracer
1976 BMW R75/6
1999 BMW R1100RT
2007 Kymco People 200S

#999946 - 10/30/17 11:32 PM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: Tri750]  
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
temesvar Offline
Member
temesvar  Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
Ontario
Originally Posted by Tri750
Many of the gravity challenged riders choose to use the "Bar Backs" for the RT's no matter the generation.
This reduces the reach by a couple inches and may help you out.
The blocks actually raise the bars if you look at them but with the downhill slope of the top tripe clamp, they stay pretty level.
With an install time of 15min or so, it's might be worth a shot. Normally you need to snip a plastic zip tie or two to bring the bars back and turn them lock to lock without stretching the cables .

Thanks for the suggestion. Can get a set of those for $95, but will not solve my problem. By no means do I want the bars closer to me!
What I want to accomplish is to lower and also to move further about a couple of inches. Reason is riding position rather slightly inclined forward.
Therefore the weight being taken of the spine and transfer on to the arms. Am not claiming to be right, but is what I prefer!!
I just purchased a set of used bars on eBay and will have something to play with in the winter months. Am machinist, so will not be a problem.
When started this thread was hoping there may be some after market shorter bars. But the market is never for shorter, we all aim for longer, right?? grin

.


2008 R1200RT
2007 Triumph Sprint 1050
Memories from the past:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900 Seca
1976 CZ 175,1966 Jawa 175, 1958 Jawa 350
#999973 - 10/31/17 01:22 PM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: temesvar]  
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 105
Yellowknife Offline
Member
Yellowknife  Offline
Member

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 105
Virginia, USA
I made clamps to mount standard round bars to my R1100RT. Worked great.

Made flat plates from 1/2" aluminum in the shape of the lower end of the cast BMW bar mounts. Made standard-type round bar mount clamps, again from 1/2" stock, bolted vertically to the new plates from below using recessed Allen bolts. Only used 3 of the 4 lower plate mounting bolts to allow space for the two vertical Allen bolts. Now you can choose any bar shape you want, although be sure to check bar-end and lever clearance to fuel tank, tank bag and fairing with steering at full lock. May need to consider limiting steering lock for use of your bar shape choice. I ended up with much shorter bars vs. the stock BMW's.

This is not a difficult or complicated task for a machinist, so enjoy the project.

#999982 - 10/31/17 03:34 PM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: temesvar]  
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,231
lkraus Offline
Member
lkraus  Offline
Member

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,231
Central Ohio
Most risers for this bike are just blocks of aluminum with extra holes to move the bars back and up. Thinner blocks or steel plate moving the bars forward might achieve your forward lean and would be easy to machine. Maybe mock them up out of plywood first to check clearances.

Last edited by lkraus; 10/31/17 03:36 PM.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
#1000013 - 10/31/17 11:46 PM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: lkraus]  
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
temesvar Offline
Member
temesvar  Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
Ontario
Originally Posted by lkraus
Most risers for this bike are just blocks of aluminum with extra holes to move the bars back and up. Thinner blocks or steel plate moving the bars forward might achieve your forward lean and would be easy to machine. Maybe mock them up out of plywood first to check clearances.

Thanks, Larry. It sure is a good idea to make a wood prototype to see what surprises are ahead, before spending the time and material and notice that it will just not work! Been there a few times!!


2008 R1200RT
2007 Triumph Sprint 1050
Memories from the past:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900 Seca
1976 CZ 175,1966 Jawa 175, 1958 Jawa 350
#1000100 - 11/02/17 01:04 PM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: temesvar]  
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 19,668
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
Member

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 19,668
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally Posted by temesvar
Originally Posted by Tri750
Many of the gravity challenged riders choose to use the "Bar Backs" for the RT's no matter the generation.
This reduces the reach by a couple inches and may help you out.
The blocks actually raise the bars if you look at them but with the downhill slope of the top tripe clamp, they stay pretty level.
With an install time of 15min or so, it's might be worth a shot. Normally you need to snip a plastic zip tie or two to bring the bars back and turn them lock to lock without stretching the cables .

Thanks for the suggestion. Can get a set of those for $95, but will not solve my problem. By no means do I want the bars closer to me!
What I want to accomplish is to lower and also to move further about a couple of inches. Reason is riding position rather slightly inclined forward.
Therefore the weight being taken of the spine and transfer on to the arms. Am not claiming to be right, but is what I prefer!!
I just purchased a set of used bars on eBay and will have something to play with in the winter months. Am machinist, so will not be a problem.
When started this thread was hoping there may be some after market shorter bars. But the market is never for shorter, we all aim for longer, right?? grin

.


Sounds like you need an RS...


If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#1000120 - 11/02/17 08:43 PM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: tallman]  
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
temesvar Offline
Member
temesvar  Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
Ontario
.
[/quote]Sounds like you need an RS...[/quote]


That is what I was looking for, more like for a ST. Couldn't find one that was worth buying, so here I am with this RT .
Love it as it is, but there is always a few things that could be improved.


2008 R1200RT
2007 Triumph Sprint 1050
Memories from the past:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900 Seca
1976 CZ 175,1966 Jawa 175, 1958 Jawa 350
#1000222 - 11/04/17 06:40 PM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: temesvar]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 52
Cinko Offline
Member
Cinko  Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 52
DC Metro, USA
Just thought I'd chime in, these are what I have installed and they work great.


They ate Rox bar risers, here is a link.

https://shop.revzilla.com/motorcycl...Fycel1wIVyVmGCh1pkwKTEAQYAyABEgIy1vD_BwE


[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cinko; 11/04/17 06:41 PM.
#1000223 - 11/04/17 08:26 PM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: Cinko]  
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,196
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle
Member

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,196
Ohio
Originally Posted by Cinko
Just thought I'd chime in, these are what I have installed and they work great.


They ate Rox bar risers, here is a link.

https://shop.revzilla.com/motorcycl...Fycel1wIVyVmGCh1pkwKTEAQYAyABEgIy1vD_BwE



Afternoon Cinko

Those won't work on the OP's 1200RT as the 1200RT has cast individual handlebar risers that bolt on each side individually (doesn't use a tubular handlebar) .


[Linked Image]


Last edited by dirtrider; 11/04/17 08:30 PM.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1000226 - 11/04/17 09:09 PM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: temesvar]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 52
Cinko Offline
Member
Cinko  Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 52
DC Metro, USA
Dirt Rider, your right clearly differnet, but that actually should be an easier fix as all you need to do is go to your local hardware store and grab the same SS metric socket screws an inch longer and thrown on 8 hardened 1" spacers below. The bars. That would raise it an inch (or what ever bolt and spacer length you get)

#1000227 - 11/04/17 09:17 PM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: Cinko]  
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,196
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle
Member

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,196
Ohio
Originally Posted by Cinko
Dirt Rider, your right clearly differnet, but that actually should be an easier fix as all you need to do is go to your local hardware store and grab the same SS metric socket screws an inch longer and thrown on 8 hardened 1" spacers below. The bars. That would raise it an inch (or what ever bolt and spacer length you get)


Evening Cinko

The OP wants to LOWER his bars not raise them. There are a great number of spacers on the internet to raise the RT bars but no good way to lower them as they bolt directly to the top of the upper triple tree.


D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1000228 - 11/04/17 09:30 PM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: temesvar]  
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 52
Cinko Offline
Member
Cinko  Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 52
DC Metro, USA
I'm blaming that response on the fact that I'm new to touring bikes and realized that now having saddle bags I could ride home today with two of these after my ride today...

[Linked Image]

On a side note I nataturally assumed most shorter riders have shorter arms so you would want to raise the bars to bring them closer not lower them to make them further away...

#1000237 - 11/05/17 02:05 AM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: Cinko]  
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
temesvar Offline
Member
temesvar  Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
Ontario
Originally Posted by Cinko
I'm blaming that response on the fact that I'm new to touring bikes and realized that now having saddle bags I could ride home today with two of these after my ride today...

On a side note I nataturally assumed most shorter riders have shorter arms so you would want to raise the bars to bring them closer not lower them to make them further away...


There is nothing mathematically proportionate about most human bodies. I am 5'9" and my inseam is 29. I know people of same height with 32 inseam. By lowering the bars will not take the
grips farther nor will they be closer by rising them. Just the body position changes. As of yet, I sit straight up on the bike. I would prefer to be slightly inclined forward. That would take some
of my weight of my spine and transfer to my hands. But thanks for your input! Have a beer on me beer


2008 R1200RT
2007 Triumph Sprint 1050
Memories from the past:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900 Seca
1976 CZ 175,1966 Jawa 175, 1958 Jawa 350
#1000238 - 11/05/17 02:30 AM Re: Lowering the handle bars [Re: Yellowknife]  
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
temesvar Offline
Member
temesvar  Offline
Member

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 232
Ontario
Originally Posted by Yellowknife
I made clamps to mount standard round bars to my R1100RT. Worked great.

Made flat plates from 1/2" aluminum in the shape of the lower end of the cast BMW bar mounts. Made standard-type round bar mount clamps, again from 1/2" stock, bolted vertically to the new plates from below using recessed Allen bolts. Only used 3 of the 4 lower plate mounting bolts to allow space for the two vertical Allen bolts. Now you can choose any bar shape you want, although be sure to check bar-end and lever clearance to fuel tank, tank bag and fairing with steering at full lock. May need to consider limiting steering lock for use of your bar shape choice. I ended up with much shorter bars vs. the stock BMW's.

This is not a difficult or complicated task for a machinist, so enjoy the project.


Am glad am not the only one who wants to lower the bars rather than raise them!
I already have a used top yoke,, a set of clamps and a handle bar. Would just have to
plug the taped holes (weld them) and drill holes to fit the clamps. No big deal there.
I just thought that there may be someone that works/casts aluminum, and can make
a set of handle bars just like the original ones, just a couple of inches shorter. Can only
go so much shorter, as it will hit the tank. Also, I prefer the sturdy solid 2 piece handles
as opposed to the one piece pipe bars.
Once done, will post a picture and let you know if all this effort was worth the trouble
Can always return to the original bars, as am keeping all parts unaltered. dance


2008 R1200RT
2007 Triumph Sprint 1050
Memories from the past:
1986 Yamaha FJ 1200
1985 Yamaha FJ 1100
1983 Yamaha XJ 900 Seca
1976 CZ 175,1966 Jawa 175, 1958 Jawa 350
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.010s Queries: 14 (0.002s) Memory: 2.8482 MB (Peak: 3.0761 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 10:12:31 UTC