IGNORED

Missing rear wheel spacer 2002 1150RT

RayG

Removed rear wheel on my 2002 1150RT but there was no spacer!

Q: We're some ever shipped without a spacer?

Feels more likely that one of the tire guys on my trips lost it of forget to put it back on. thoughts?

I've run 12,000 mi without it, is it really bad to not have that spacer in place?

Thanks

Edited by RayG
Removed rear wheel on my 2002 1150RT but there was no spacer!

Q: We're some ever shipped without a spacer?

Feels more likely that one of the tire guys on my trips lost it of forget to put it back on. thoughts?

I've run 12,000 mi without it, is it really bad to not have that spacer in place?

Thanks

Afternoon Ray

A LOT of riders removed that spacer to move the rear wheel a little more to the right. That was done to help remove some of the PTTR (Pull To The Right) that the BMW 1150RT was noted for. As long as you don't have any rear tire rub then removing that spacer does center the rear wheel more in line with the front wheel.

Great news DR and thanks for answering so quickly.

Typical of searching these forums for answers (aka Search sucks), I ran into one of your posts after, from a couple of years ago about the right pull issue.

Whether its for that or avoiding bi-metal corrosion I think I'm pretty safe to continue as-is.

Maybe put some anti seize on the hub as that entertaining NH mechanic Chris Harris suggests?

Great news DR and thanks for answering so quickly.

Typical of searching these forums for answers (aka Search sucks), I ran into one of your posts after, from a couple of years ago about the right pull issue.

Whether its for that or avoiding bi-metal corrosion I think I'm pretty safe to continue as-is.

Maybe put some anti seize on the hub as that entertaining NH mechanic Chris Harris suggests?

Afternoon Ray

Be very careful in using any anti-seize on that wheel hub. A portion of the rear wheel retention is the friction between the wheel surface & the hub so getting any type of lubrication between them can cause a future loose wheel.

If you use a NON MIGRATING anti-seize on JUST the little centering ring inside the wheel then assemble it without getting that anti-seize on the mating face then you will probably be OK. (just don't use anything that migrates & be very careful at assembly)