Print Thread
#1002036 - 12/06/17 07:32 PM R1200RT WONT START  
Dimond Offline
Newer Member
Dimond  Offline
Newer Member

Danville (near SF), CA
R1200RT won't start

Started fine this AM. Kickstand down and in neutral and ran it for two minutes. 20 minutes later heading out for a ride BUT bike would not start! Turn on key and all lights come on. Push starter button and all I get is a faint click coming from ecu (where I plug in my gs911). Get this click each time I push starter button. Gear selector indicates correctly. GS911 gives NO FAULTS FOUND. Guessing kickstand switch may be faulty? Ki kstand Battery is at 13volts and jumping with fresh battery did not help. Suggestions. Thanks.

2008 R1200RT & 2009 F650GS (TWIN)
#1002038 - 12/06/17 07:57 PM Re: R1200RT WONT START [Re: Dimond]  
lkraus Offline
lkraus  Offline

Central Ohio
How low does the voltage drop when you press the starter button?

Larry
2006 R1200RT
#1002039 - 12/06/17 07:59 PM Re: R1200RT WONT START [Re: Dimond]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Dimond
R1200RT won't start

Started fine this AM. Kickstand down and in neutral and ran it for two minutes. 20 minutes later heading out for a ride BUT bike would not start! Turn on key and all lights come on. Push starter button and all I get is a faint click coming from ecu (where I plug in my gs911). Get this click each time I push starter button. Gear selector indicates correctly. GS911 gives NO FAULTS FOUND. Guessing kickstand switch may be faulty? Ki kstand Battery is at 13volts and jumping with fresh battery did not help. Suggestions. Thanks.

Afternoon Dimond

Put a voltmeter across the battery posts then see what the voltage is (drops to) when you push the starter button. (this should give us a direction to look in)

Pulling clutch lever in during starting in should eliminate a faulty side stand switch as long as trans is in neutral)

Might be a bad battery, or a battery cable connection, or starter, or ???????

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1002048 - 12/07/17 12:49 AM Re: R1200RT WONT START [Re: Dimond]  
Dimond Offline
Newer Member
Dimond  Offline
Newer Member

Danville (near SF), CA
Battery voltage 12.70v key off. 12.20v key on. 12.20v when I depress starter button (is,no measurable drop in voltage) -still hear faint clicking noise at ECU. In neutral with clutch in or out, kickstand up or or down - same results. Next? Thanks😉.

#1002057 - 12/07/17 01:03 PM Re: R1200RT WONT START [Re: Dimond]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Battery voltage 12.70v key off. 12.20v key on. 12.20v when I depress starter button (is,no measurable drop in voltage) -still hear faint clicking noise at ECU. In neutral with clutch in or out, kickstand up or or down - same results. Next? Thanks😉.

Morning Dimond

That clicking that you hear is probably the starter relay clicking (it's mounted on the side of that GS-911 connector housing)

In any case your next move is going to be removing the L/H side lower Tupperware & accessing the starter. (specifically the rear of the starter)

You are going to need to determine IF & what part of the starter is getting 12v when.

You will need either a 12v test light or a DC voltmeter.

See picture below for test points "A", "B", "C"

First place to test is "A", so hook a 12v test light (or voltmeter) to post "A" & the battery (-) post. It should show battery voltage or bright test light all the time (does it?)
Now with key-on push starter button. "A" should still show close to battery voltage or bright test light. (does it?)

Next, move your test light or voltmeter probe to "B" on starter. That terminal should show no voltage or no test light. Next, turn key on & push starter button, terminal "B" should NOW show close to battery voltage or bright test light. (does it?)

Next, move your test light or voltmeter probe to "C" on starter (leave wire from bike harness hooked to that terminal). That terminal should show no voltage or no test light. Next, turn key on & push starter button, terminal "C" should NOW show close to battery voltage or bright test light. (does it?)

If it passes all the above tests then you probably have a bad starter (you might try rapping side of starter with a hammer while holding starter button down with key on)--- (if it then cranks you are pretty sure you have internal starter issues)-- DON'T do this before the above electrical tests or you will lose the ability to tell a bad starter from a bad starter solenoid.

If it doesn't pass one or more of the above tests tell us which ones & we can then tell you the next system to test in the starting chain.

[Linked Image]

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1002069 - 12/07/17 07:07 PM Re: R1200RT WONT START [Re: dirtrider]  
Dimond Offline
Newer Member
Dimond  Offline
Newer Member

Danville (near SF), CA
Originally Posted by dirtrider
test points "A", "B", "C"…......

The "C" connection had come off. I crimped the female connection a bit and pushed it back on. Starts fine now. Thanks DR for getting me to diagnose this problem properly as I was looking elsewhere for the solution. BTW the faint clicking sound was coming from the ECU - put a stethoscope on ECU to confirm this.

#1002218 - 12/11/17 05:34 PM Re: R1200RT WONT START [Re: Dimond]  
Dave_zoom_zoom Offline
Dave_zoom_zoom  Offline

British Columbia Canada
Originally Posted by dirtrider
test points "A", "B", "C"…......

The "C" connection had come off. I crimped the female connection a bit and pushed it back on. Starts fine now. Thanks DR for getting me to diagnose this problem properly as I was looking elsewhere for the solution. BTW the faint clicking sound was coming from the ECU - put a stethoscope on ECU to confirm this.

This is another big THANK YOU to DR. Your ongoing help on this site is a TREMENDOUS help to so many of us!

THANK YOU
Dave zoom zoom