Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
#1004164 - 01/25/18 01:43 PM Re: 2017 R1200RT Stability [Re: roger 04 rt]  
Boxflyer Offline
Just Joined
Boxflyer  Offline
Just Joined

Rhode Island
Oh, a couple of other things I feel affect the stability of the Wethead RT's...

1) I changed the windscreen to the AeroFlow RTW Tall. I'm 6'2 and ride with the seat in the high position, (plus I have a custom Laam seat with an extra 3/4" padding) and this really reduced the buffeting I was getting on either side of my helmet and shoulders. I only have the screen up off the lower stops about an inch, and still have about an inch that my line of vision is above the top edge.
2) I bought the 28L top case. Compared to having no top case, or my 49L BMW top case, this provides the smoothest ride. I get more slipstream back draft with no top case (and no pillion) and feel lots more side pressure, both drawing in, and pushing off from passing trucks with the larger 49L case on...but there are times when you live with it because that's the way you want/need to be configured.

#1004427 - 01/30/18 06:04 AM Re: 2017 R1200RT Stability [Re: roger 04 rt]  
NoelCP Offline
NoelCP  Offline

Land of Oz
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt
That’s very clear DR.

So here in FL I set my tires to 36.3 in the garage at 68F, go out on a 98F day, ride at 80 and heat the tires another 50 degrees (my car tire pressures go up about 5 psi at that speed) and my actual tire pressure will be 44.3 psi but the display will still indicate 36.

I like to adjust tire pressure so that it reads whatever I want it to read on the TPC readout. Consequently, it's always sitting on 39F/42R until it loses a bit slowly over time.. When adding air I'll rough it in a bit over my typical 39F/42R w/ a good gauge following the usual temperature compensation logic of +/- 1psi for every 10 degrees F below or above 68F. Then after being out on the road a while on my first stop will bleed of a bit if it is displaying a little high, for example 40/43, I'll bleed a little air off and can usually get it spot on on the first try taking care not to take out too much.. When you read between the lines in the manual on TPC it seems clear they think you can trust their system certainly more than the gas station's pump gauge, and that can apply to any other gauge for all practical purposes. There is no specification published as to how accurate BMW TPC is, but as I say BMW feels good enough about to tell you to rely on it enough to adjust pressure to the displayed output. It's remarkably stable though: On June 5, 2016 we were riding past Las Vegas OTW to St. George UT in 112F temp for hours uphill, and the displayed pressure stayed exactly the same for the entire ride after leaving Big Pine, CA at maybe 45F or something I forget now. That's pretty impressive in my book.

Last edited by NoelCP; 01/30/18 06:04 AM.
#1004447 - 01/30/18 03:43 PM Re: 2017 R1200RT Stability [Re: roger 04 rt]  
roger 04 rt Offline
roger 04 rt  Offline

Naples FL & Cape Cod
Last week I rode about 250 miles up and back for my 600 mile service. The highway (I 75) was mostly North/South and the wind was strongly out of the East @ 25, gusting 35-40 MPH, plus lots of tractor/trailers running between 65 and 80 MPH. Of about 5 hours of riding, 4 hours was on my R1200RTW and 1 hour was on a friend's 2017 Harley Road Glide, while he rode mine. In those conditions, the Harley had the steadier ride--you felt the buffets but the bike felt solid on it's course. I also had the bike ridden by the dealership owner, he and my friend both felt the difference was that the RTW is a lighter, faster steering bike. The dealer also went over all the front end suspension, checking for tightness.

On the way back, I changed from One-Up SOFT suspension to One-Up HARD suspension and found that I liked the handling at highway speeds/with gusts better in the HARD setting. The next day, with the wind conditions still the same I tried several other suspension conditions and found that (for instance) the Two-Up setting handled less solidly than One-Up with just me aboard. I'll try similar conditions with no cases as soon as I can.

Although I've focused on this issue (which I would now describe as the RTW not liking to be abruptly knocked off course) for a while, I really like the RTW, it does so many things well and is otherwise a pleasure to ride--particularly the gear-shift Pro assist. I'm left with one question, could a tire change (to Metzler or Pirelli) affect handling, in the gusty conditions at highway speeds?

Last edited by roger 04 rt; 01/30/18 03:54 PM.
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10