BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1010072 - 04/23/18 11:55 AM Re: I found a bike in MN that wants to move to WA... [Re: szurszewski]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by szurszewski
and I'm not manly enough to fly out and ride it back (right now at least).

Morning szurszewski

I had an ST2 for a while, not a bad riding bike but the fueling control is pretty crude as those had early design electronic fuel injection but no o2 sensor. Those early Ducati electronic fuel injected bikes REALLY responded well to a specialized chip for the fueling computer as well as opening up the exhaust restriction a little. (mufflers were pretty tightly corked to get U.S. import approval)

If that bike has been sitting for a few years with little or no riding & no belt maintenance then you probably don't want to ride it home anyhow as the Ducati ST2 uses a 1: to 1: cam belt ratio (ie gets the camshaft 1/2 speed inside the engine not in the belt drive/driven ratio. This basically means that both cam belts run around very small diameter drive & driven sprockets so that forces lots of belt flexing at the small diameter sprocket interface. (good news is, the cam belts were not expensive or difficult to find).

You definitely do not want to break a cam belt as the engine is an interference type engine so with no valve springs to park a spinning cam at valve-closed position then a broken cam belt will usually bend a couple of valves, ruin a piston, & sometimes ruin a cylinder head.

The good news is the ST2 is pre-high tec so you can install & adjust the cam belt tension yourself (not difficult) as you don't need a frequency tuner to adjust or set cam belt tension.

When you get that bike check the manual as the gas tank is actually on a hinge so easily pivots up out of the way without removing (works best with under 1/4 tank of fuel in it).

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1010080 - 04/23/18 01:26 PM Re: I found a bike in MN that wants to move to WA... [Re: szurszewski]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
Good morning, D.R., thanks for the contribution. smile My understanding is the bike, though part of a decent sized stable, has been ridden regularly though not for many miles at a time. I'll see if I can confirm the date for the most recent service/belt change (I know the mileage), and change them if warranted.

This bike is all stock, but I imagine to my rather unrefined palate that will be fine. If not, there seem to be readily available options in chips and exhaust, so I can look into that.
Cheers!
josh

*insert witty remark here*
#1010082 - 04/23/18 02:19 PM Re: I found a bike in MN that wants to move to WA... [Re: szurszewski]  
Dennis Andress Offline
Boot Slayer
Dennis Andress  Offline
Boot Slayer

Port Orchard, Washington
So when are we going riding?

#1010096 - 04/23/18 05:17 PM Re: I found a bike in MN that wants to move to WA... [Re: Dennis Andress]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
Originally Posted by Dennis Andress
So when are we going riding?

That's a great question! I think you two are going to be hard to keep up with anyway, so probably should wait unit I actually get the Ducati (though if I bring the sidecar rig I could carry the snacks...lots and lots of snacks!). Hopefully that will be pretty soon. I just got an email through ADV from a guy in Detroit who maybe wants to buy our rig...that's not that far from MN, so maybe a road trip to drop one and pick up the other? dontknow In any case it will probably be a few weeks still...so, how about in a few weeks? grin

#1010099 - 04/23/18 05:37 PM Re: I found a bike in MN that wants to move to WA... [Re: szurszewski]  
Dennis Andress Offline
Boot Slayer
Dennis Andress  Offline
Boot Slayer

Port Orchard, Washington
Sounds good. We're bored with the Olympic Peninsula already and plan on riding towards Rainer and further south now. That ST2 will be a good match to our R1200 Sts.

#1010100 - 04/23/18 05:39 PM Re: I found a bike in MN that wants to move to WA... [Re: Dennis Andress]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
Originally Posted by Dennis Andress
Sounds good. We're bored with the Olympic Peninsula already and plan on riding towards Rainer and further south now. That ST2 will be a good match to our R1200 Sts.

Looking very much forward to riding around Rainier on this thing for sure. The bike may be a good match for yours, but I don't know that I am. Laney would probably leave me in the dust if she loaned me her bike and she rode my dad's Vespa smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4