IGNORED

New Michelin in 2018 !! ??

mrzoom

Ah, the anticipation o.f a "new and improved" model beyond the PR4. We will have endless tyre treads.

Talk of grip, tread life, cost, fitment the list goes on.

The motorcycle tire selection has never been better.

I had Goodyear "Grass hoppers" on my 64 Sportster and though they were great.

What vintage tyre did you have on your first bike??

Talking to the rep at the SLC BMWMOA rally, he said only that the PR5 would be out by early 2018, but was not willing to provide any details.

EICMA is coming up November 9-12, a popular event to introduce new products.

Edited by lkraus

I distinctly remember the upgrade in braking from the early Dunlop Sport Elite tires. On my 83' CB1100F I used to play with the front brakes to chirp the factory semi-rib design front tire on demand. With the Sport Elites the bike just nose dived from the new found serious stopping power. :thumbsup: Several years prior to this Honda I rode a Norton 750 Atlas briefly and the front tire didn't matter on braking as dragging your feet on the ground was almost as effective as the single leading shoe front brake on it. :P

It's a good time for riders with all the quality rubber out there. I've been a long time fan of the Michelin PR series EXCEPT the 4. Right now I'm having good results with the Dunlop Roadsmart 3, but will keep an eye out for the PR5 reviews.

Ah, the anticipation o.f a "new and improved" model beyond the PR4. We will have endless tyre treads.

Talk of grip, tread life, cost, fitment the list goes on.

The motorcycle tire selection has never been better.

I had Goodyear "Grass hoppers" on my 64 Sportster and though they were great.

What vintage tyre did you have on your first bike??

Goodyear "something's" on my '71 Sportster. Since my brother had a set of old tires on the '58 Duo-Glide he bought, just sitting in the attic, that's what I put on the Sporty after the rear blew.

Tread?

Grip?

Nah, it was round, black and was free. We didn't have money so we just re-used tires over and over. :(

RPG

Talking to the rep at the SLC BMWMOA rally, he said only that the PR5 would be out by early 2018, but was not willing to provide any details.

EICMA is coming up November 9-12, a popular event to introduce new products.

Just saw a Michelin ad in the November BMWMOA ON. Lists previous models of the Pilot Roads, asks "Guess what's coming in January?"

My first mini bike had small go-cart sized tires. These tires lasted indefinitely riding in the farm fields. Never had to replace them.

Just bought a set of Dunlop RoadSmart IIIs which had a $100 rebate. The Dunlops will replace Michelin PR4s which only lasted 8,500 miles (rear). The tire manufactures all seem to promise longer and longer wear but I have not experienced any real improvement over the past 10 years.

Great links to the new PR5! Looks like they have listened to customers. With less siping in the front tire it might take some of the squiggly feel under hard braking away. Having solid rubber on the outer edges should help the numb feeling when leaned way over. I might be ready for a set of tars by the time these are available.

Very interesting tread. The videos all show a sport bike in wet conditions.

The latest U tube rates tires by lap times in the wet with the PR5, Metzler 01, them Pirelli GT, Conti Road Attack 3,

Bridgestone T30 EVO, Dunlop Road 3. Same bike and rider?? Video doesn't say.

All the tyres did well. Any of the six would be good choices.

Cost will be a factor too. We have all Vinter to speculate and discuss. :clap:

Now all we need is a new oil to hit the market. :rofl:

Cost will be a factor. It seems that every time a new tire is introduced the manufacturer claims anywhere from 10 to 20% extra mileage. I pay attention to user posts about this....and so far there really isn't any improvement in tire mileage across the major brands in the last couple generations. Some have gone backwards. I was buying T-30 Evo's for $225 shipped. That went way up. PR4's are around $330 at best. If these come in higher than that, not sure if I want to pay to test them out......

Not sure if I'm lucky or not but have a new set of PR4s on the bike and another set in the shed via a sale I could not pass up. Have been getting 10K to 12K on rears with the '4s; will be nice if the '5s do better.

Bill

Boy, I just don't know how everyone gets these numbers. I have gotten 7000ish out of a back, but more often around 5500. I never felt like I rode overly hard and I've never been an acceleration freak. Sure am jealous.

Boy, I just don't know how everyone gets these numbers. I have gotten 7000ish out of a back, but more often around 5500. I never felt like I rode overly hard and I've never been an acceleration freak. Sure am jealous.

Your road material must suck

Bert Remington

Goodyear Grasshoppers on a Matchless 500 (forgot the year)!! Dang that was a long time ago. Got ticketed for crossed-up sliding through the turns in the hills behind Whittier. That motorcycle taught me many lessons on metal fatigue.

I'm putting a 17" R1200RT wheel on the rear of my R1100RT so I have access to the full range of modern performance tires so following this Michelin, Dunlop, etc discussion with great interest.

Been lurking on the tire threads with great interest as I am overdue for the front @ 12K miles with my PR4. I really should have changed @ 9-10 K miles as handling noticeably degraded by then even with OK tread depth and the last 1K miles I've had a two minor understeer pushes (a very scary feeling). Holding out for Spring and hoping to hear more about the PR5. I'm sort of screwed to stay with Michelin as I replaced the rear tire @ 6K miles which I'm estimating was about 60% used up due to a nail puncture, so I'm now our of phase and don't want to experiment with mix/match across brands.

Hoping the new version of RP are a bit quieter as they wear and have the unreaistic hope for them retaining handling further into the usable life. Mileage for me has been similar the Metzlers I ran on my Previous RT

Goodyear "something's" on my '71 Sportster. Since my brother had a set of old tires on the '58 Duo-Glide he bought, just sitting in the attic, that's what I put on the Sporty after the rear blew.

Tread?

Grip?

Nah, it was round, black and was free. We didn't have money so we just re-used tires over and over. :(

RPG

LOL. Almost the same experience. I Put a pair of GYs on my '71 /5 as payment for doing a few tune ups at my Bros motorcycle shop back in the late 70's. They were new overage tires but had cool looking white walls to match the pin stripe fenders. That lasted about a month when I went down on a wet street as they were like riding on ice w/o studded tires.

Learned literally the hard way about buying fresh rubber!

Edited by Paul De

Tread?

Grip?

RPG

LOL. Almost the same experience. I Put a pair of GYs on my '71 /5 as payment for doing a few tune ups at my Bros motorcycle shop back in the late 70's. They were new overage tires but had cool looking white walls to match the pin stripe fenders. That lasted about a month when I went down on a wet street as they were like riding on ice w/o studded tires.

Learned literally the hard way about buying fresh rubber!

ahh, yes Paul, Further along I bought a new '93 R100RT. Gorgeous bike in red. I ran Dunlop 491's (due to their high mileage reputation) once and while riding to a club breakfast in the pouring rain one morning, discovered why wet grip is sort of important.

On the freeway, doing about 70, I changed lanes and as both tires hit the tar strips between the lane, the bike went into a tank slapper and the rear wheel broke free and the engine revved to 8 grand!

Luckily it only lasted a second, and I did stay up but lesson learned.

I ride the same road with PR4's now, often in even worse weather and think about it each time I change lanes. So far, only those old Dunlop's ever did that to me. :(

RPG

Much more likely to get higher mileage on roads that are flat, straight & never see frost/snow or a plow. Mountains, curves, salt, cinders will wear a tire down faster for sure. The price you pay for playing in the hills 👌

The latest gen of high performance tires don't seem to get any longer mileage, but the difference is that these will hold their grip up until the end. 10 years ago these tires were great the first half of their life, then quickly got squirrelly or scary near the end...

Much more likely to get higher mileage on roads that are flat, straight & never see frost/snow or a plow. Mountains, curves, salt, cinders will wear a tire down faster for sure. The price you pay for playing in the hills 👌

The latest gen of high performance tires don't seem to get any longer mileage, but the difference is that these will hold their grip up until the end. 10 years ago these tires were great the first half of their life, then quickly got squirrelly or scary near the end...

Usable life is a relative thing with each person deciding when the tire is done based on their preferences plays a roll in the wide variation reported milage. The typical load you carry (people, gear and accessories) is also a factor in tire life. Maybe if I get down to the weight I was in college and leave my rain gear and extra helmet off the bike I will get 10% more in millage:grin:

Usable life is a relative thing with each person deciding when the tire is done based on their preferences plays a roll in the wide variation reported mileage. The typical load you carry (people, gear and accessories) is also a factor in tire life. Maybe if I get down to the weight I was in college and leave my rain gear and extra helmet off the bike I will get 10% more in millage:grin:

I actually get my best tire mileage loaded 2 up. With my wife behind me I have to be much more judicious in my use of throttle and brake. :)

Lone_RT_rider

Usable life is a relative thing with each person deciding when the tire is done based on their preferences plays a roll in the wide variation reported mileage. The typical load you carry (people, gear and accessories) is also a factor in tire life. Maybe if I get down to the weight I was in college and leave my rain gear and extra helmet off the bike I will get 10% more in millage:grin:

I actually get my best tire mileage loaded 2 up. With my wife behind me I have to be much more judicious in my use of throttle and brake. :)

Is that why the back of your helmet looks like that? ;)

:rofl::dopeslap::jaw:

• 1 month later...

New tyre pricing is out for the PR5's

Will someone in the warmer areas please rush out and buy some so we can have a road test??

Prices are up,up,up!!!

I hope the spring deals will return.

Here's pricing from Rider Domain as of today for sets with free shipping.

PR5 $365.18 PR4 GT $353.60 Metzler 01 $343.10

The deal of the day is the new Bridgestone T31 $272.36

Big difference so we also need someone to try the T31's and report back. :grin:

Let the tyre talk continue. :thumbsup:

I don't see the PR5s yet, but Amazon lists the PR4 GT at $151.88 (front) and $199.38 (rear), with free shipping. LINK

Edited by Ken S

I don't see the PR5s yet, but Amazon lists the PR4 GT at $151.88 (front) and $199.38 (rear), with free shipping. LINK

Bike Bandit just listed the new Road 5.

RecentConvert

It is a good time to be a tire guy! New Continental Road Attack 3, New Bridgestone T31 EVO, New Michelin Road 5, nicely proven Metzeler Roadtec 01. Hopefully Motorradd will test the lot again this year.

Great links to the new PR5! Looks like they have listened to customers. With less siping in the front tire it might take some of the squiggly feel under hard braking away. Having solid rubber on the outer edges should help the numb feeling when leaned way over. I might be ready for a set of tars by the time these are available.

Thanks for the links. I get a kick out of the first youtube video where it shows the (female) rider smiling as she's riding through the country. The camera zooms out and the otherwise picturesque landscape is littered with Wind Farm Wind Mills - which mostly ruin the scenic landscape. :dopeslap::ohboy: YMMV

• 1 month later...

OK boys and girls. Do you want to save $$ on tyres?? Sure you do :thumbsup:. Start checking your favorite tyre supplier as the deals have started.

Bridgestone has a $50.00 Visa gift card with the purchase of 2 select tyres including the brand new T31 in regular or GT !!

I ordered from Rider Domain today and paid $272.36 for GTs for my RT. I also had some RD cash in my account so

$261.77 shipped to my door less $50 big ones = $211.77 for a set. Such a deal.

Other manufactures usually do rebates too except Biby. Keep your eyes open.

I told the wife about the card and said, "happy Valentines day Baby." win, win for me. :rofl: