IGNORED

Garmin Nav 6 'My Motorcycle' app

Pickaxe

Hi,

Looking at my profile, it's been many years since I was on the forum or owned a BM. However, I'm now the proud owner of a new R1200RT and fully intend it to be a keeper. :). So hello again everybody :wave:

I'm hoping that someone can give me a definitive answer to a Garmin Navigator 6 sat nav question I have.

My bike, which I believe is a MY2018 model, fitted with the latest Nav 6 works very well, albeit, costing twice as much as it probably should :(

One aspect that disappoints me is that it doesn't, or won't display the 'My Motorcycle' application that's been available when fitted on the 1200GS version for years. I've read that some RT owners can access this app on both Nav 5 & 6s, so I'm keen to find a work around for my bike or find out for certain that it's a no go.

Any thoughts or experience would be gratefully received.

Regards

Dave

As I understand it, it's a function of the bike, more so than the Nav itself. I had the Nav V, and now the Nav VI, and both displayed all the My Motorcycle info because I have a 2015 GSA. It should do the same on a MY 2018 RT. Do ypu not know what year your bike is?

I'm led to believe it's a 2018 MY but I haven't checked for sure. It's got the RT logo on the pillion seat which I'm told is new for this year?

I'm led to believe it's a 2018 MY but I haven't checked for sure. It's got the RT logo on the pillion seat which I'm told is new for this year?

If it's got the Euro 4 Orange reflectors on the front forks it's a MY17/ 18 & the Nav will show 'My Motorcycle '.

If it's got the Euro 4 Orange reflectors on the front forks it's a MY17/ 18 & the Nav will show 'My Motorcycle '.

mileypop,

It has, but unfortunately it doesn't. However, you seem very definite in your post, have you anything I can mention to the dealer in support of my inquiries?

Regards

Dave

What is this 'My motorcycle' you talk of? I have Nav 6. If you tell me what I am looking for, I will check mine.

Hi AndyS,

I am told you have to put the Nav 6 in the cradle and have the ignition on. If you select the 'apps' pages it should be there (you may have to scroll through several screens to view all the apps).

Thanks

Dave

mileypop,

It has, but unfortunately it doesn't. However, you seem very definite in your post, have you anything I can mention to the dealer in support of my inquiries?

Regards

Dave

Sorry Dave can't help you... When I picked up the RT I didn't know & wasn't told of any changes. It was only sometime later that I happened onto the fact that the 'my motorcycle ' app was working. It doesn't really bother me if it's there or not, as most of the information can be got from the bike anyway. And do I want to know my lean angles and how many times I've changed gear?

My Motorcycle is an app that has 3 sub-apps. One (Information) only works when the unit is in the cradle on the bike, two (Status, Last Ride) only work when it's off the bike

• INFORMATION: Reads information from the bike and can display up to 16 data items including all odometers, range, mileage, outside temp, coolant temp, tire pressure, speed. Can also display GPS information: sunrise/sunset, location, elevation, heading. There's more information available than it can display at once so you pick what you want. NOTE: speed display is just a digital display of the bike's inaccurate speedometer, it's not the accurate GPS speed.
  • STATUS: Reads information from the bike and displays VIN, mileage, next service information
  • LAST RIDE: Reads information from the bike and displays tripmeters, avg speed, economy, temp (engine and ambient), number of gear shifts, average throttle position, number of times you appied the front and rear brakes. Rumor has it that it used to display lean angle too but BMW decided that too many people took it as a dare rather than an information point, so it disappeared during a firmware update.

It's only available if the bike's ECU enables it. I had a Nav V on my RT, no My Motorcycle. Took it off and put it in the cradle of a GS - there it was. Took it off the GS and put it back on the RT - gone. It's always been available on the WC GS's (maybe oil cooled too, I don't know) but not on the RT or K1600. I think I read something about how it's been made available on the RT and K1600 for 2018 or maybe 2017 (possibly in connection with upgrading the ECU for Euro 4 emissions? IDK). I can't speak to the situation for the R 1200 RS or R.

I find the INFORMATION display is really useful, the others not so much. Saves much scrolling through menus to find things I want to know.

Bottom line, if your bike's ECU allows it, you'll see it; if not - not. Nothing a dealer can fix other than by selling you a bike that supports it.

Edited by WBinDE

WBinDE,

I think you're totally correct in your description.

It just begs the question as to why some RT owners seem to get the app and others don't?

Also in the case of RTs with control of the sat nav through the handlebar wheel, surely it's only a case of updating ECU software to gain the app and the extra information it gives. The actual electronic differences between the various R models can't be that much.

As you say, all that information on one page is quite useful when you're not following a map route, and when you're paying an awful lot of money for a motorcycle and sat nav system, it's nice to have every available bell and whistle.

So, the Nav6 on my /017 RTW displays the 'My Motorcycle' app.

It has an 'Information' tab which is only available when the Nav6 is docked on the bike.

Then, there are 2 others tabs: 'Status' and 'Last Ride'. Both of these are only available when the device is off the bike.

WBinDE,

I think you're totally correct in your description.

It just begs the question as to why some RT owners seem to get the app and others don't?

Also in the case of RTs with control of the sat nav through the handlebar wheel, surely it's only a case of updating ECU software to gain the app and the extra information it gives. The actual electronic differences between the various R models can't be that much.

As you say, all that information on one page is quite useful when you're not following a map route, and when you're paying an awful lot of money for a motorcycle and sat nav system, it's nice to have every available bell and whistle.

AFIK it's not an upgrade that can be installed by the dealer. There are many computers (9?) on the CANBUS. I know the wonderwheel on the RT and K16 manages the entire bike - heated grips/seat, ESA, odometer selection/reset, etc. in addition to the GPS. On the GS it only does the GPS display, all the other features have their own dedicated button on the switch cluster. If the computer that reads the wonderwheel is different (because the capabilities it controls are so different) maybe that's the one that has the key to enable My Motorcycle. And if it's actually the hardware that's different, trying to upgrade it through software would be futile.

In many senses the RT has more in common with the K16 than with the GS/RS/R family so I wouldn't be surprised if there's more hardware commonality between the electronics as well.

The MY MOTORCYCLE app on the Nav5 and Nav6 has been available not GS but was NOT available on the RT until the 2017 vintage. It seems the bike interface was finally upgraded on the RT for 2017. There was another thread on the RT site where this has also been discussed.

The MY MOTORCYCLE app on the Nav5 and Nav6 has been available not GS but was NOT available on the RT until the 2017 vintage. It seems the bike interface was finally upgraded on the RT for 2017. There was another thread on the RT site where this has also been discussed.

Could you possibly provide a link to that thread or let me know which RT site?

Regards

Dave

Could you possibly provide a link to that thread or let me know which RT site?

Regards

Dave

Here you go .... the discussion on the Nav and MY BIKE app are on the 5th page I believe.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?89917-Time-to-get-a-new-BMW/page5

It has an 'Information' tab which is only available when the Nav6 is docked on the bike.

Then, there are 2 others tabs: 'Status' and 'Last Ride'. Both of these are only available when the device is off the bike.

So it begs the question, are some MY2017/18 bikes different to others in respect of upgrades and components used?

Also, is it possible to work out the exact date the bike came through the factory by it's frame number or other means?

Edited by Pickaxe

... is it possible to work out the exact date the bike came through the factory by it's frame number or other means?

Search online for a BMW VIN de-coder, and then plug your VIN into that, and you should get info about your bike, including its date of manufacture. There will be a sticker on your bike somewhere (don't know where it is on an RT) with the VIN.

As for the year of your bike, I was a bit baffled when, earlier in this thread, you said that you were led to believe it was a 2018. Presumably you bought it new. Is the model year not clearly shown on your sales contract?

Edited by marcopolo

... is it possible to work out the exact date the bike came through the factory by it's frame number or other means?

Search online for a BMW VIN de-coder, and then plug your VIN into that, and you should get info about your bike, including its date of manufacture. There will be a sticker on your bike somewhere (don't know where it is on an RT) with the VIN.

As for the year of your bike, I was a bit baffled when, earlier in this thread, you said that you were led to believe it was a 2018. Presumably you bought it new. Is the model year not clearly shown on your sales contract?

When I started the purchase process at the end of July 2017, the dealer hadn't any RTs in stock and had to order direct from the factory. He stated it would be a 2018 spec bike and when it arrived in mid October, he apologized for the delay and remarked it had RT embossed on the pillion seat for the 2018 spec bikes. The sales invoice states Model BMW R1200RT (K52) Specification 1200 RT LE (ZBLE)

Putting the vin number through a decoder shows it to have been manufactured 6th September 17 and one of the standard equipments is ABS pro which is correct for a 2018 MY RT.

Now that you confirmed it's a 2018, do you still have an issue with what information is -- or is not -- available on your Navigator VI? What I find the most useful is the "data" (my word) page, on which you can choose to display up to sixteen different data elements (by scrolling the "wonder wheel", you display, one, two, four, or sixteen bits of data, and those elements can be changed by the user, as there are more than sixteen available, but only a maximum of sixteen can be displayed at any one time). Personally, I find sixteen to be too small to be useful. Eight would have been just right, but alas, that's not an option. As for the so-called "My Motorcycle" info, just select "Apps" from the bottom of the home screen, and you'll find it. Some info is only available when the Nav is in its cradle, whereas some info can only be accessed when the GPS is out of the cradle (presumably so you don't get mesmerized by the number of times you've applied the brakes, and ride off a cliff).

Edited by marcopolo
Marcopolo,

You're really rubbing salt into the wound☺

'my motorcycle' is still a no show on my Nav 6

Did you take it back to the dealer? That functionality should exist, doesn't, so they should remedy the situation even if it requires replacing the computer.

Marcopolo,

You're really rubbing salt into the wound☺

'my motorcycle' is still a no show on my Nav 6

Did you take it back to the dealer? That functionality should exist, doesn't, so they should remedy the situation even if it requires replacing the computer.

The problem is that the function seems a bit sketchy. A few owners claim to have it, but you can't get a definitive picture. The dealer is aware and is communicating with BMW and as soon as I have some concrete evidence, I'll push harder.

If you look at this thread, there are few owners confirming they have the function.

So here is the definitive answer from BMW:

The 'My Motorcycle' application is only made available on bikes with the factory audio/radio option.

It's only a software issue and they are working on an update patch for all compatible RTs and could be available mid 2018.

I would suggest to anyone interested that they badger their dealer and it might speed the process up.