IGNORED

New 2018 R1200RT

Bernie

Congratulations Bernie. Remember to bring an extra towel to lunch on the 18th. You can clean it after we a finished drooling over it. Although a GS would be more impressive. :grin:

Congratulations Bernie. Remember to bring an extra towel to lunch on the 18th. You can clean it after we a finished drooling over it. Although a GS would be more impressive. :grin:

Thank you very much, Chris and believe me, I tried very hard to get comfortable on a GS, but my feet kept getting in the way, or there is something wrong with the GS's they sell in FL. :S

Maybe this one will last you until the Electric Head comes out :Yes:

Thanks, maybe. No telling what the future will bring. But I am sure before to long the ElectricHead will be here. Then we scare even more deer. LOL

Very Nice Bernie, great color too! I expect it to last you at least a decade and well into 6 figure miles just like the previous two did. :thumbsup:

Congratulations on the new bike Bernie. May it bring you miles of smiles. Looking forward to chasing you soon.

Thank you, Dave. Can't wait to have you join me/us on a ride with DoubleSilver. It could be fun.

Very Nice Bernie, great color too! I expect it to last you at least a decade and well into 6 figure miles just like the previous two did. :thumbsup.

Thank you Bill, I really appreciate it. I really do like the lighter color, even though the Carbon, which is very dark blue in my eyes is extremely pretty. But maybe too pretty and elegant to cover with bugs.

Very Nice Bernie, great color too! I expect it to last you at least a decade and well into 6 figure miles just like the previous two did. :thumbsup.

Thank you Bill, I really appreciate it. I really do like the lighter color, even though the Carbon, which is very dark blue in my eyes is extremely pretty. But maybe too pretty and elegant to cover with bugs.

Very nice and while I agree that black or "near black" bikes look elegant and classy ... that only last 5 minutes until they get dust or bugs on them. The lighter colors like the white actually manage dirt better. It really looks slick! When they first said they were offering white I was totally turned off .... until I saw it in person!! Good luck!!

Congrats Bernie, at the JAX ride event you helped at I could tell you were being sorely tempted. Having had both a Camhead and Wethead RT (and a GSAW because boxers are best) I actually rode their RT twice that day. I didn't see anyone getting off that RT that didn't have a big smile on their face. Soon as my foot heals from

Surgery I look forward to making one of the monthly lunches. Will bring my own drool towel.

Very nice and while I agree that black or "near black" bikes look elegant and classy ... that only last 5 minutes until they get dust or bugs on them. The lighter colors like the white actually manage dirt better. It really looks slick! When they first said they were offering white I was totally turned off .... until I saw it in person!! Good luck!!

Thank you!

I had an 09, basically the same as your 07 design wise. Had a lot of fun on it, but there were major flat spots in the power band, and I started getting the new bike itch anyway. I bought a new 2016 in Feb. The difference between the 2 bikes is amazing. Every single time I ride the new bike I notice the differences. BMW improved every aspect of the bike. Responsive power, handling, and all of the tech stuff. You are gunna love your new ride!

My '16 which now has almost 27K smiles on it is incredible! I still get giddy every time out! Your '18 is incredible + ABS Pro + Improved Shifting + My Moto data access + and more! Congrats I love the color!

Edited by NoelCP
My '16 which now has almost 27K smiles on it is incredible! I still get giddy every time out! Your '18 is incredible + ABS Pro + Improved Shifting + My Moto data access + and more! Congrats I love the color!

Thank you, it is a huge step up from the 2007 R1200RT. It will be very interesting.

Thank you, it is a huge step up from the 2007 R1200RT. It will be very interesting.

Bernie .... I came off a 2006 RT that I truly loved and until it was sold I could not bond with the RTW. But once the '06 was on to its new home and I bonded with the RTW there has been no looking back. Couple of things I still miss about my '06 but they are minor. Rode the RTW to Salt Lake last July on a 21 day trip and it was amazing! I am sure you will be smiling every mile.

Nice bike, I just ordered the Blue Planet one this week, only trouble is it will be 1-1/2- 2 months before I see it! Big change from the 2008RT

Yes Bob, it is a huge difference. 500 miles so far this weekend and I still can't believe it is related to my 2007 RT.

At times it feels like I am floating down the road without any effort. But that may be partly due to me trying very hard to take it easy.

Also learning all the different switches and computer menus is quiet a challenge. Down load the manual and start reading and rereading.

The days are over where you just press the left button 3 times to be able to read the temperature as you ride down the road.

But I am not complaining, there is so much more you can do, like operate the GPS from the wonder wheel or get a full display of all kinds of info from the bike on the GPS screen (like engine temperature).

Nice Ride! I would have been tempted by the white RT if it had been available when I bought my '15 RT, which is surprising as I have never been fond of white bikes before.

For sure the relation to previous RTs are tenuous at best, maybe related only by model designation, being a flat twin, and a couple of shared chassis features.

My '71/5 has more in common with my '99 RT than my '99 has with my '15 RT. This redesign really broke away from most technical ties to all previous RTs

And it rides like a different animal for sure:thumbsup:.

BMW did a great job bringing the new RT into current design and performance standards and while I still love certain aspects of my old RT I really love this RT! . To me it is more Japanese like and I mean that in a good way. The waterhead RT just simply works well.

Yeeha! Stephen
Maybe this one will last you until the Electric Head comes out :Yes:

Thanks, maybe. No telling what the future will bring. But I am sure before to long the ElectricHead will be here. Then we scare even more deer. LOL

Yeeha!

bmw_e-boxer_select1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats, very nice. I was as the local dealer yesterday looking at that new red color. Beautiful. I was riding a K1600 GTL until I wrecked it. Now on an Ultra. I miss the BMW power and ease of handling so now I'm considering adding a second bike and the 1200RT fits the bill. I'm just wondering how the power band compares to the 1600. Does it pull the same (which is what i miss, raw extreme acceleration)

Congrats, very nice. I was as the local dealer yesterday looking at that new red color. Beautiful. I was riding a K1600 GTL until I wrecked it. Now on an Ultra. I miss the BMW power and ease of handling so now I'm considering adding a second bike and the 1200RT fits the bill. I'm just wondering how the power band compares to the 1600. Does it pull the same (which is what i miss, raw extreme acceleration)

I'm considering adding a second bike and the 1200RT fits the bill. I'm just wondering how the power band compares to the 1600. Does it pull the same (which is what i miss, raw extreme acceleration)

I traded a K1600 GT for a new wethead RT (2014) and I don't think you'll be missing anything as far as all out acceleration goes. Torque is another story, the 16 will pull (as you probably know) sixth gear down to 25 MPH, the RT won't. Not really a big deal just a little less shifting on the 16. Weight, hey who needs Jenny Craig if you make the switch! :grin:

Pat

My sales rep said the power to weight ratio is equal between the K16 and the R12RT-LC.

I didn't bother to verify that, as either bike is way faster then I really need.

Really any bike over 50 HP is fast enough to get you a ticket or more.

Rode two up today the first time (Grandson Tyler) and he noticed how much smoother it was then the 07 RT.

I don't know how accurate this site is but at least give you some view. According to their data the 1600 is about 2/10's of a second faster than the rt in a quarter mile.

When my 2014 1200RT was on recall hold, they tried to give me a great deal on K1600GT. I was pretty interested. I assumed the power would be much greater than my RT. Honestly, I didn't think it was as fast until it got to the upper end of the RPM's like 6000 and up. That was just seat of the pants with no empirical data. Considering the weight, size, etc....I am very very glad I kept the RT. It's no hyabusa but I find it pretty darn quick.

Here is the link

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/bmw-motorycles-0-60-mph-times/

Edited by Skywagon
I don't know how accurate this site is but at least give you some view. According to their data the 1600 is about 2/10's of a second faster than the rt in a quarter mile.

When my 2014 1200RT was on recall hold, they tried to give me a great deal on K1600GT. I was pretty interested. I assumed the power would be much greater than my RT. Honestly, I didn't think it was as fast until it got to the upper end of the RPM's like 6000 and up. That was just seat of the pants with no empirical data. Considering the weight, size, etc....I am very very glad I kept the RT. It's no hyabusa but I find it pretty darn quick.

Here is the link

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/bmw-motorycles-0-60-mph-times/

That's some interesting data. I wonder where they gather their statistics from? ( numerous credible sources) Quarter mile times can vary greatly depending on a lot of factors: Rider, weather, altitude, track conditions, the state of tune of the machine, clutch wear, etc. This can easily account for differences of 0- 1/2 second discrepancies.....

Edited by Rob L