IGNORED

2012 RT

Rick Barba

As I age , (mid 60's) everything is going on a diet. My RT is tall for my 29" inseam and Ive been struggling to hold the weight of it with all my camping gear. Does anyone have any info on lowering the bike? I have a lowered seat but would like a better foot plant. Thank, comments and parts discussion would be appreciated. RB99

You don't give info if your bike is ESA or not but start off by emailing Linedeman Engineering in Redlands Ca about lowering your stock shocks.

The price to do that has crept up to almost the same price as new "lowering shocks"

I'm a dealer for Hagon shocks out of the U.K. and have emailed them about avaialbility of lowing shocks. They usually answer within 24hr

They list lowering shocks but not for the full model year line of RT.

New lowering shocks will be usually around 9-1200 depending on adjustment options.

The bike will be normally just over an inch lower.

The centerstand may have to be cut and re-welded to facilitate easy operation but some do ok with it.

New shocks will be built to suit your weight , riding style and if you carry a passenger often or not.

We'll, Hagon only makes shocks up to 2010 for the RT

You can also check with other manufacturers for lowering shocks.

Edited by Tri750

Consider the smaller bikes out there.

Lowering can get you an inch or so, plus boot insoles add another 1/2" or so...

But is that enough?

Only you can determine that.

I'd look around, there are a lot of bikes that can get you there, and carry camping gear.

The RT will always be a big bike.

Best wishes.

Wilbers has shocks that will lower the bike up to 30mm. Not sure where you are located but Herman at Wheels and Wings can help you out on the east coast and the Beemershop is on the west coast. Both are Wilbers distributers.

Here's a thread I started on another forum. Beemershop seems to get very good reviews. I spoke with them a couple weeks ago and they quoted $1900 for my '16 RT for both front and back. I remove my rear shock, ship it to them and they return so I can install. Apparently they use a few of the electronic system parts. The front is a direct replacement. Lowers the bike 25mm. Edited by LittleBriar

I installed a set of Wilburs from the Beemer shop that provided 20mm lowering. I installed a factory lowered sidestand and kept the original centerstand. It is harder to put the bike up on the stand but as long as the cases are empty it is doable.

You might be pleasantly surprised if you try a low suspension GSA. I've got a 30 inch inseam and found the GSA much easier to manuver than my prior RT, could flat foot it too. There are a lot of leftover 17's with low suspension out there. More range and can carry a lot more gear. Moving up to the Wethead is a big plus as well.