IGNORED

Best Tail Bag?

markgoodrich

NOT hard top case, waterproof (only) tail bag which can be used on trips, quick on/off for hotels imperative. I don't like tube-style dry bags.

TIA

NOT hard top case, waterproof (only) tail bag which can be used on trips, quick on/off for hotels imperative. I don't like tube-style dry bags.

TIA

Morning Mark

How big do you need?

Do you want it expandable?

Do you want or need a quick attach/removal or something solidly attached & leave in place.

I have a number of tail bags & they are different sizes & different attachments for different needs.

I've got both the large and small soft OEM bags. I like them. They fit neatly under the rear structure and use 2 squeeze clips at the front. Takes a few seconds to install or remove. The big one is waterproof and works. Been through multiple rains without problems. It has inner liner which is rolled up and fastened with clips. Can't remember if the small is waterproof. Both come with shoulder straps which fit neatly into side compartment.

Hi, DR, not particularly large, 25-30l,,although a larger bag would be okay. I can barely fit a week's worth of gear into the side cases, would be nice to have extra room.

Quick attach/removal imperative.

This might fit the bill, although the zippers might be problematic...at least, they have been on my Rukka suit over the years:

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/luggage/r_series_lifetime_luggage/t40r_tailpack_black/

I wanted an auxiliary bag for the passenger seats on my bikes. One that didn't look like I was carrying a dead body in it when not crammed full. This Dry Spec Rigid has surpassed all my expectations. The way it attaches is so much more secure than other styles and the multiple points to attach other bags/gear has been most useful. If this one ever went bad I would immediately replace it with one just like it. Would work just as good as a tail bag.

Hi, DR, not particularly large, 25-30l,,although a larger bag would be okay. I can barely fit a week's worth of gear into the side cases, would be nice to have extra room.

In the 30 liter class one of my favorites is the BMW small tail bag (small in a misnomer).

The bag is basically a 30 liter bag with a waterproof inner membrane (use the inner or not as you wish)

It is expandable to about 35 liters if needed (I have seldom needed to).

It looks pretty decent on a BMW bike (mainly made for the BMW GS but it comes with lots of strapping extras to fit about anything).

One nice feature is IF your rear luggage rack/plate has a small rear lip behind the support stands there is a pocket on the bottom of the bag to slide over that lip so you only need to secure the front with quick disconnect buckles then slips off & is easily carried as luggage.

Size is around 13" tall x 16" wide x 13" long. (when full it also becomes a passenger back rest)

Might be worth a look at your local BMW dealer (they usually offer this bag on sale about twice a year & when on sale not a bad bargain for it's usefulness)

s-l640.jpg

In the 30 liter class one of my favorites is the BMW small tail bag (small in a misnomer).

The bag is basically a 30 liter bag with a waterproof inner membrane (use the inner or not as you wish)

It is expandable to about 35 liters if needed (I have seldom needed to).

It looks pretty decent on a BMW bike (mainly made for the BMW GS but it comes with lots of strapping extras to fit about anything).

One nice feature is IF your rear luggage rack/plate has a small rear lip behind the support stands there is a pocket on the bottom of the bag to slide over that lip so you only need to secure the front with quick disconnect buckles then slips off & is easily carried as luggage.

Size is around 13" tall x 16" wide x 13" long. (when full it also becomes a passenger back rest)

Might be worth a look at your local BMW dealer (they usually offer this bag on sale about twice a year & when on sale not a bad bargain for it's usefulness)

s-l640.jpg

If mounting to the rear rack on my RTW or GSA this small BMW bag can't be beat! Looks great and on my 2 bikes fits like a glove on the back racks and pops on or off easily. Comes with various size straps for mounting which is really nice.

For use in the pillion I have used a Cortech Sport Tail bag like this but in black since 2004 and like it so much I bought a 2nd as a back-up but never needed it as the original is still going strong!

CortechSportTailBags.jpg

For use in the pillion I have used a Cortech Sport Tail bag like this but in black since 2004 and like it so much I bought a 2nd as a back-up but never needed it as the original is still going strong!

CortechSportTailBags.jpg

I have one as well - comes with rain cover. I've used it in place of my hard case on the rear rack, and also in the pillion position.

Have that Dry Spec bag,won it at Top O the Rockies BMW Rally 2 yrs ago.

Great bag that can hold a ton of stuff,the internal stiffener(formed plastic) really helps with keeping shape and allowing easy access for loading,unloading.

Also the stiffener on mine is white,which really helps when digging for gear.

It is definitely waterproof.

Maybe wait a couple days,might be some good Black Friday deals coming up.

JR356

Maybe wait a couple days,might be some good Black Friday deals coming up.

JR356

That is a great suggestion. I know there are a few items I need and am waiting to see what the Christmas Sale time brings.

This might fit the bill, although the zippers might be problematic...at least, they have been on my Rukka suit over the years:

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/luggage/r_series_lifetime_luggage/t40r_tailpack_black/

This "Oxford Products" bag looks a lot like a large tank bag turned backwards, which gives me an idea for some of my unused tank bags. THANKS, Mark!!

I bought a cheapo "bum-stop" pillion bag a few weeks ago but it is too small to be of much use. If it was twice the volume it would be ok. Amazon tail bag

Mark,

"This might fit the bill, although the zippers might be problematic...at least, they have been on my Rukka suit over the years: "

Try soft candle wax rubbed on the zippers (not beeswax). It sure helps "difficult" zippers of all types. I've used a small votive candle with a very "oily" wax for a long time. It stays in place (on the zipper), doesn't smell or stain.

Lone_RT_rider

This "Oxford Products" bag looks a lot like a large tank bag turned backwards, which gives me an idea for some of my unused tank bags. THANKS, Mark!!

I bought a cheapo "bum-stop" pillion bag a few weeks ago but it is too small to be of much use. If it was twice the volume it would be ok. Amazon tail bag

Oh man.... that's going to take a BIG black sharpie!

1509586192657806293.jpg

Oh man.... that's going to take a BIG black sharpie!

1509586192657806293.jpg

That is exactly how I use my Cortech tail bag. With the 4 bungies it mounts up in a snap and never moves.

IMG_1938-L.jpg