I read the other thread about the FOBO TPMS and decide to post a new thread because it was a FOBO install that didn't work out and mostly discussed other brands of TPMS. There have been improvements to the FOBO system since that thread (2015) was started, also. I found the wBW review and it is older, too.

My experience with FOBO has been EXCELLENT, from the product, website, instructions, software, and hardware, operation, to customer support.

I installed a FOBO system on my '00 K1200RS about a month ago and it has been very "educational".

I had OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE at FOBO.  To begin with, I had a slight install issue on a Saturday evening and posted a question on their website expecting to get a reply the following week.  Within an hour I had a complete, detailed, and very polite reply in perfect English.  WOAH.  That's different!!  Over the course of several weeks, I have exchanged about 25 emails with four different people including the Dir of Prod Development.  These were not so much "problems" but a few questions, several suggestions, and discussion of a different install for the sensor to show the ACTUAL TIRE TEMPERATURE. Exterior valve stem sensors are more exposed to ambient (air) temperatures than the tire temps, especially with the "wind chill" effect of a rolling wheel.

FOBO uses Bluetooth Smart 4.0 + LE (BLE), 2.4 to 2.485 GHz, very low energy system with GE sensors from Amphenol. These use a built-in "absolute pressure reference" that is referenced to sea level but can be changed to show "gauge pressure" in the app. My experience is that these sensors "scan" or update about every 6 seconds. In contrast, the 433 MHz sensors used in cars have a very long scan period and have much wider (looser) accuracy tolerances for temps and pressure.

The FOBO app now also has a very small "overlay" that allows you to see the tire temps and pressures while viewing other apps like Waze. This overlay can be turned on and off, shows alarms, and can be moved around the screen to accommodate other app screens.  It can show or hide the pressures and temps at a touch.  I use an old Droid Nexus as a Waze screen mounted on my dash as my a GPS.  I have the FOBO shared to it (and wifi "hot spotted") from my Samsung S8 (main phone).  The overlay works very well with Waze and I can see both map and pressures/temps at a glance with "no hands".

One of the most interesting observations I had after getting the exact tire temperature configuration working was how much and how fast the actual tire temperature reacts to rolling and sunlight.  I'll see 5-6 PSI differences in a short time just riding in town.  It is DEFINITELY NOT the 1-2 PSI difference I was always assuming and is suggested by some.  This big difference is corroborated by a similar system I installed on my car at about the same time that shows very similar increases.

A not so widely publicized but a VERY interesting feature FOBO has embedded in their app is a data logging feature. This logger records time and date, user, wheel sensor #, temperature (C) and pressure (kPa) in EXCEL format in the app.  It does this automatically any time the app is running and connected.  It can easily and quickly be emailed to anyone including yourself.  This might be helpful to racers where tire temps and pressures are critical, constantly.

The "T" valve that FOBO has ($12.00 ea and the only place I have ever seen one) is EXCELLENT, design and construction. It solves several problems. I had purchased angle valves months ago to make it easier to get the air chuck on the Schrader with dual discs in the way. This T valve solves that and lets you add or release air without removing an exterior sensor (which releases a small amount of air every time it is installed or removed). The "lock nut" installed under the sensor is to prevent the sensor from vibrating loose and leaking air causing a flat, as well as deterring theft. With the T valve, LocTite could be used instead saving weight.

I added the column headings, PSI and F temperature columns to the .CVS file from the FOBO app:

[Linked Image]

FOBO sensor installed on rubber valve stem:

[Linked Image]

Waze app running with FOBO overlay showing battery charge, tire pressures, and temps:

[Linked Image]

T valve installed on front wheel:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Lowndes; 11/22/17 08:20 PM.

Old Fart Newbie