IGNORED

New 2018 R1200RT

Bernie

Interesting, but maybe not so relevant for the every day riding experience.

I rode a K1600GT when my RT was in for its 600 mi service. It was smooooooth as silk and as David noted the biggest difference seemed to be as you went to extra legal speeds. The time spent riding the K1600GT only confirmed that the R1200RTW was the right choice for me. I enjoyed the K1600 at 100 MPH+ which is not a realistic speed you get to often, but hated it in the parking lot.

Now if the test were a 0-60 time for these two bikes with starting the clock when getting the bike out of the garage, then blast down the road up to 60 MPH making a U-turn within the width of a 2 lane road and blast back and putting the bike back into the garage, the RT would crush the KGT:cool:

I don't know how accurate this site is but at least give you some view. According to their data the 1600 is about 2/10's of a second faster than the rt in a quarter mile....

The comparative times are about what I've seen elsewhere. The K16 usually edges the RTW slightly in the quarter mile, but it's significantly porkier, so the power advantage doesn't make a huge difference. I considered the K16, but my prior experience suggested to me that I'd be happier with the lighter RTW.

In actual riding, a bad shift or any of a thousand minor variations in the riders' skill, road surfaces, or other conditions means that they are, for all intents and purposes, pretty similar until you approach the RTW's (lower) top end.