IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Rode the RT to work on a new set of backroads (from Jackson, Mi to Lansing) after a long weekend at our cottage in southern MI. Did a nice day ride on Sunday with a stop at my favorite cider mill, Meckley's Flavor Fruit Farms in Somerset Center, MI.

http://flavorfruitfarm.com/

RPG

The Rocketman

Woke up bright and early yesterday and took a 2 hour ride on the RT to have breakfast at the Colony Diner in Newtown, CT. Ended up being an 8 hour, 380 total mile loop past Limerock, the covered bridge at Cornwall, and plenty of twisties in-between. Got up to a toasty 90-degrees on the way home. Man I love Spring and my RT :)

CT_zpszfanon0k.jpg

Had some business in El Segundo. When that was done I decided to head home via Pacific Coast Highway. Surprisingly light traffic. Went up PCH to the 126 then home. Because of the marine layer, it was a nice cool trip.

Brought the ’13 out of the shed. Transferred all the farkles from the ’10, changed the clutch fluid (old was as dark as on the ’10), completed a service, and mounted new PR4s. Heading west soon.

Final prep for Colorado: Valve Adj, Throttle Sync, new rear rotor and pads, cleaned up some wiring and made a pair of bump stops to stop the seat from slipping into the low position in the back. :thumbsup:

EricinIndy, who is also going, sent me a photo of his completed front tire change - he does them himself the old fashioned way - and about an hour later comes another photo text. This one showing a drywall screw in his rear tire he picked up on his test ride! :cry:

• 5 weeks later...

Finished a major tune-up (test ride in the rain 3 days ago) which included fuel filter, the fuel lines in the tank replaced, alternator belt, HES re-wire, new plugs, plug wires, valve adjust and TB sync, new horn :grin: (which I mounted in the vacant spot under the tank where the ABS unit would have been if I had ABS),changed the brake fluid, lubed the speedo cable, adjusted the clutch, replaced the fuel pump vibration damper, and re-installed my freshly rebuilt Wilbers. Bike is happy, I am happy, and tomorrow we will be leaving for the MOA rally.

In anticipation of a long ride next month, decided to replace the front brake which had 25k miles on them. Took all of 20 minutes. Turns out they still had about a third of the pad left.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Chased Bernie to meet terryofperry in Nashville for some south Georgia Q. Conversation was most excellent, Q not so much.

Three mighty steeds waiting patiently in the shade.

DSCN3545-M.jpg

Bernie and Terry suiting up for the afternoon ride.

DSCN3547-M.jpg

Temps were in the high 90s and briefly 100 on the way home. 400+ miles to travel 300. Great day.

• 1 month later...

I just got my 23 y/o Ducati back from the shop today. I had the carbs cleaned (again) & an inline fuel shut off put on so I can at least run the carbs dry while she waits her turn. (did I ever mention that ethanol gas $ucks) :/

Will say, there's not many things in this world that sound better than a good running piped Ducati! :revit:

Ok off to apologize to the neighbors, oh never mind, they're use to it! :D

Pat

Will say, there's not many things in this world that sound better than a good running piped Ducati! :revit:

Pat

If the HP4 hadn't popped up at the right price, I'da had a 1199 Panigale in the garage.

I just got my 23 y/o Ducati back from the shop today. I had the carbs cleaned (again) & an inline fuel shut off put on so I can at least run the carbs dry while she waits her turn. (did I ever mention that ethanol gas $ucks) :/

Pat

Pat, if the Duc isn't getting all that many miles, consider buying race fuel in 5 gallon containers. I can buy Sunoco HCR Plus ( 114 octane leaded ) here in Houston for about $55 per 5 gallon. I run it in the Shelby, every weed eater, chain saw, trimmer, blower I have. I don't have any carb troubles, and have not since switching to it. Then there is the smell of two stroke oil mixed with race fuel when I mow the lawn.......

Race fuel just doesn't break down like pump gas and ruin carbs.....

That's an excellent idea Terry, I will look into it! :thumbsup:

Richard, I bet that HP4 has a pretty sweet song to sing, also! :clap:

Pat

Not sure which manufacture has it, say it at a race, want to say Conoco, but anyway they had 93 octane non-ethanol in 5 gal can I think they said they got it for 27.50 a can. Here in GA QT now carries 89 octane Non-Ethanol and I use that in all my yard tools now. I know 89 octane may not work for your ducati, but the 93 octane non-ethanol might work just fine, at about 1/2 the cost.

Yes, it being only a little 900 cc air cooled V motor, 114 proof may be a little strong! ;)

Neh! Neh! Neh! Fuh! Fuh! Fuh! Indians. :grin:

c871775af60913202a25bfa690eacf45--easy-rider-jack-nicholson.jpg

As sad as it sounds, five gallons should last me all year.

Pat

Pat

Yep, not as good as the Panigale, but it does let the neighbors know it's time to rise and shine when I roll off to work at 0530ish

Pat, that VP racing 94 octane is good stuff. That is run in some street cars/trucks here that require unleaded. I have run it in my Lightning. While I mentioned the 114 octane, one reason I get it is that I mix pump gas in the Shelby to make it go further. Doesn't take much 114 to raise the octane of 93 pump up to 96 or so. The weedeaters simply love it.

Do NOT run leaded fuels in ANY engine with a catalytic convertor or oxygen sensor. It will ruin them......

I don't think my Ducati has a Cat but to be safe, Unleaded non Ethanol 94 octane gas is what I should be looking for.. :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

Pat

They had the VP 94, at $30 a gallon! :eek: I'll have to look elsewhere. A station heading up towards NE Dragway sells 110 octane non E "Race Fuel". I'll look into that.

Pat

They had the VP 94, at $30 a gallon! :eek: I'll have to look elsewhere. A station heading up towards NE Dragway sells 110 octane non E "Race Fuel". I'll look into that.

Pat

Used to be, before all the little airports got overcome with arrogance, that you could buy aviation fuel. Which is about the same thing as good race fuel. No ethanol, has fuel stabilizers and high octane. 110LL isn't really all that "low lead" and I think their octane rating is not the same as our automotive grade. But it is still high octane fuel that won't gum up like pump gas. If you know someone at one of the small airports, you might still be able to get it.

Edited by realshelby

Pat

aviation fuel If you know someone at one of the small airports, you might still be able to get it. Used to be, before all the little airports got overcome with arrogance -

And or Condos & Golf Courses! :cry: Tewksbury had a nice little airfield a few years back but everything has a price, I guess.

I haven't had a chance to check on the race fuel I mentioned but I better get a move on. The fuel in my Ducati's tank is expiring in three, two.... :/

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Work, work, work. A newer bike is a lot of work at least for me.

Spent the last 3 days and need quite a few more.

Disassemble dash for V1 wiring install and HID lights, not here yet.

Called selling dealer and was told the complete service history.

All I had to do is bleed the brakes as they were due due to time not miles. Trans and final drive can wait till vinter.

Hoping that PO steps up and does the right thing with the rear tyre issue. I got home and found 2 BIG rope plugs just off center. No wonder there was a vibration up where I like to ride.

Ordered lower shocks from ted Porter so I can reach the ground.

Such fun I'm having

and

Did an ABS reset on a '99 R1100S . Not a simple procedure. Requires taking off all the front tupperware, removing the air cleaner snorkel, unpluging the big ABS wiring connector and fashioning two separate grounding wires and a specific key-on, key-off procedure. Then, put it all back together again. But... hooray, it worked!

Pat

Yep, not as good as the Panigale, but it does let the neighbors know it's time to rise and shine when I roll off to work at 0530ish

Glad I'm not your neighbor. You would only wake me up once. :grin:

Pat

Glad I'm not your neighbor. You would only wake me up once. :grin:

So, what would you do to keep me from waking you,....move :clap::clap: 'Round here, that's about all you could do ;)

I ran over a nail with my G650X. The rear needed to be replaced anyway so I practiced several times taking it off and putting it on the rim with the old tube. That's not huge news except it was my first time changing a motorcycle tire...EVER. I have no left over parts and still have all my fingers/toes so I'm calling it a successful afternoon. Now to wait for UPS to bring the new tire.

we kept remarking "I don't think they make straight roads here". :grin:

Hope everyone gives it good consideration for the UN next summer, a spectacular area with super roads.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Last week or so has had improved weather. Yah, some days in 60s, and a couple near 70. So been out for more rides.

I like this picture. Lake Michigan in Muskegon, about 8pm.

sCW16Pt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Rode to work (Detroit to Lansing) and counted the dead deer (4 fresh kills). In Michigan we have hunting season in the fall, but the deer appear to be open season all year.

Got off the freeway before hitting my destination to explore a new backroad and found an old barn I need to go back and photograph.

My RT turned 100k last Friday and seems to be running better than ever.

Stopped at my local dealer and visited with my RT. No word yet on what or when they will know what to do to fix my problems. I guess I am having separation anxiety. Lol

Edited by Bernie

Vanity shot from last Sunday at Arizona Motorsports Park near Phoenix. This was my second time out on the new to me Triumph Daytona 675.

medium800.jpg

Lone_RT_rider
Took the barn door off the GS and put the summer windscreen on.

It's not quite time for that here yet. Maybe by July. LOL

We are supp

We are supposed to hit the lower 90's this weekend! Glad we are going to VA.

Lone_RT_rider
We are supp

We are supposed to hit the lower 90's this weekend! Glad we are going to VA.

You want to beat the heat? You should head this way. It's 37 Degrees F this morning......and raining. :)

]Hot here and WINDY... but hey, we make wind here and ship it out all over the US. :rofl:

Bike is ready for Torrey with new shoes,Bridgestone T31's. I will report back on how they perform.

Leaving early Monday morning... taking the long way if the weather cooperates.