IGNORED

Piedmont area of NC weather

Rougarou

So, these meteorologist were calling for a light dusting yesterday, temps above freezing, ground temp 46*. I can ride that. Stuff started falling about 0900ish, I'm at work,...stuff still falling at 1500, I'm at work,....finally fill out my timesheet at 1530 and off I go on the one hour ride home.

The traffic looks ok, vehicles moving as in any other wet road environment and I get about 30 minutes away, roads feel fine, no sliding smooth riding. Then the wobbles start, front end, rear end, let the bike recover, but it doesn't, another 35-40 low side.

No biggie, pick up the bike put it on the side of the road, call the wife to bring the truck. 3.5 hours later she finally arrives due to the roads have gotten worse at that time and drivers in front of her doing 20mph on a 55mph road.

During that time, I thought to myself, "meh, maybe I should move the bike to a safer spot as this is on a short embankment", the road is getting less traveled so "safer".

So, I fire the bike up, and get it on the pavement again, put it in first and I'm on the side walking the bike up the pavement, it seems to be going well. I thought, this is ok, only about 500 yrds to a nice flat spot. Nope, didn't quite make it, the road slants and the rear started sliding, ended up sliding off the pavement, into the grass and down the small ditch.

Dropped the sidestand and waited for my chariot to arrive. All the while I'm thinking "self, there's a fine line between hard and stupid and I seem to cross that line quite frequently, mah, it's all good".

So, as of this morning, my bike sits in a ditch some 30ish minutes from my home. My ramp, during dry times, I can load on the truck by myself, but with wet tires, I dunno. Methinks I'll wait until this afternoon to go check it out. The roads "may" be rideable, at least to a spot where I can load the bike. I would use my trailer with the low ramp, but it's full of building dunnage that needs to be dumped as we are adding another bathroom.

Many people stopped to ask my situation, some slowed and I waved them off. Still gotta give the thumbs up to humanity for considerations.

Ahhh, life is good!!!

This is what they call a "dusting", looks like "inches" to me.

38218370774_31ec3805c0_b.jpg

"Pavement" around the pool looks mostly clear, I'd probably ride too ;)

Glad you're ok - hope the bike comes out of the ditch alright too!

Welp, we got it home. Gotta love the wife. As the bike was in a ditch that was still slick, she got behind it while I walked/revved it in 1st until we finally got it back on pavement. She got a wee bit of splatter.

We put the ramp down and she wasn't comfortable with the load, so that thin line got crossed again. I rode she followed. This time I went the interstate route. Not bad, maintained 65+ at times. Roads were just wet with some slushey stuff in the middle (sporadically).

I did get my iphone to take a short video, not good angles, but I'll post the raw video soon.

, no editing. On the way home we stopped to grab a bite. The actual riding out of the parking lot starts around 1:27ish. You can get the idea of the "dusting" we got the day/evening prior. It's a crappy video because its taken from my phone mount and not my Contour camera.
I bet every car that passed by thought "that guy is nuts". Glad all is well, any damage to the bike?

Appears to be only the scraping up of the side case,...but that's only cosmetic, no biggie.

Glad it wasn't too bad, sounds like you're very resourceful.

We got 5 inches at my house Friday and Saturday. Unusual for this time of year. I wanted to ride to work today and demonstrate how cold hardy I am, but worry about the gradual runoff across the roads as the snow melts. If it dips below freezing...

Glad it wasn't too bad, sounds like you're very resourceful.

We got 5 inches at my house Friday and Saturday. Unusual for this time of year. I wanted to ride to work today and demonstrate how cold hardy I am, but worry about the gradual runoff across the roads as the snow melts. If it dips below freezing...

Ya, we got 4+, I had to drive the truck yesterday to pick up some planks for our bathroom build, otherwise, I'da chanced it.......On the bike this morning at 0545 for the hour commute, only on the most desolate roads did I see any suspected slip spots.

• 4 weeks later...

For those looking for the damage report, 'tis only cosmetic and only girls worry about cosmetic issues ;)

38666387675_b56950a98c_b.jpg39562446431_915a94ef6a_b.jpg38666386385_1df5e4d60f_b.jpg