IGNORED

R1200RT: How the hell do you clean this thing?

Joe Frickin' Friday

I use S100 and S100 wheel cleaner on mine (left over habit from HD's, but quite good cleaners) when it comes to thorough cleans. Picking up one of those sponge shammys will help with the drying end of the deal, along with some paint stir sticks from the local hardware to get to the areas around the windscreen arms and a few chopsticks to get in the tighter areas. The front wheel is not that bad if you pick up one of the cone shaped wheel brushes at Harbor Freight and the oilpan area I do with a stiff scrubber from the same place. For touch ups and between washes when the need hits I use a waterless called "Original Bike Spirits" spray polish and cleaner. This stuff removes bugs and grime quite well and puts down a wax behind it from a good shine. I am working on trading my RT for a GSA at the moment, and will not miss the detail time spent on cleaning the RT when it goes to its new home. For those of you using pressure washers on your bikes, I would aviod spraying near any bearings or engine gaskets as this can lead to water penetration in those areas and IMO better safe than sorry on that one.

I ride my bikes till they get dirty then sell them and get a new one. Saves money on cleaners, water, etc.

:rofl:

THAT was hysterical. And it's what I do, except to occasionally wash off the bugs on the front. I don't care if my bike is dirty or not. When I sell it, I'll clean it then.

Here's what I use:

Link

I use it on paint, black sufaces and wheels. Works great, no water, takes off the bugs and leaves the bike looking waxed. When I travel I just fill a squirt bottle with the stuff, and carry a couple microfiber towels with me.

Edited by Groanup
  • 8 years later...

Just for laughs I thought I'd resurrect Mitch's old thread.

Just substitute 2008 RT for 2017RT.

Like Mitch did, I miss the ease of which you can wash the R1100/1150RT's. The natural balance where you could get the bike to pivot on the centre stand.

Ah, they don't make 'em like that any more!