IGNORED

Looking for inner paralever 30 mm socket for my 03 K1200RS

Scott L

I'm looking for a 30mm 1/2 in drive deep socket that has a cutout to torque the inner paralever bolt that allows an Allen key to be placed in the inner bolt to keep it from moving after its been torqued, but allows the outer nut to be torqued, thus the 30mm cutout.

I think BMW makes this special socket, but I don't want to buy one for $400. Any ideas??

Thanks

Dennis Andress

SnapOn impact sockets used to be half the price of their chromed sockets. I've bought 2 or 3 over the years when I needed a big socket for a project.

They want $52.00 for a deep 30mm. SnapOn Deep 30mm

Scott - I have three suggestions for you - I have used all these methods ;)

1: buy one of the sockets suggested above and slot it yourself; a dremel will do it with some patience.

2: locktite the pin at the proper torque and leave it alone long enough to set the locking compound (half an hour should do but you could wait overnight if you're worried); mark the pin and swing arm to show alignment, and then torque the locknut. I've done this multiple times and it has always worked.

3: borrow the windowed 30mm socket I have; I'm in Olympia and could mail it to you if you're not in a hurry, or meet you somewhere (though i5 is a bit of an issue what with that train derailment yesterday) if you are in a hurry.

Oh - if you are not in a hurry I know someone in Portland who makes them; I think a set (Allen and socket) is less than $50 but I'm not sure and he is a very busy guy running two other businesses (and being retired)...so that's four suggestions!

Edit to add this link:

http://eazcycle.com/portfolio-items/30mm-swing-arm-socket/

No price listed but this is where mine came from; there is a chrome socket pictured, but the one of his I have is a black impact socket.

Edited by szurszewski

szurszewski

That's awful, regarding the Amtrak and those poor people.

Thanks so much for the offer, but I just ordered one off eBay from the UK for $25. I'm in no hurry, it's a winter project anyway. Got all the Tupperware torn off and have been slowly catching up on maintenance. Still have fork seals, FD, and fluids to do.

Started noticing some small metal particles in FD oil and suspect the Crown Bearing starting to go, so picked up a FD off of eBay with only 17k miles.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and if you ever get over this way, give me a shout.

Cheers,

Scott