IGNORED

new battery recommendations

KER

I have been using the PC680 batteries for a while in all our bikes but they dont seem to last very long and frankly have not proven to be reliable for me. Is there a go to battery anyone would recommend. These will be going into 1100/1150/1200RTs and are pretty much used everyday. I believe I have used the westco batteries from beemerboneyard several years ago before switching to the Panasonic and may end up switching back to them.

I have had much better luck with the Westcos form Beemerboneyard than the PC680s, all three of which were a disappointment. Lots of talk about this; I only knows what has worked for me.

I have had much better luck with the Westcos form Beemerboneyard than the PC680s, all three of which were a disappointment. Lots of talk about this; I only knows what has worked for me.

Same here. I probably have gone through 10-12. On my bike alone I have gone through 2 (one main and one aux), and now need another one and my bike is only 3 years old.

MotoBatt MB51814 has a 2yr replacement warranty, no pro-rate and 260CCA.

I've sold them for probably 6-7yr. And they are very dependable.

I'm a dealer for them and on a bulk purchase can possibly do a bit better than Amazon.

It takes about a week to get them from my supplier.

I'm in Central Calif. near Fresno.

We installed them in several of the smaller departments RT-P's as they didn't have the budget for the BMW battery and they worked

as expected.

A 6mm internal star washer has been found to be helpful to prevent the battery terminals from coming loose over time.

With the holiday, everybody will be closed of course until mid-week.

Interesting you folks have had bad luck with odyssey, I find them to be very long lasting batteries. I have 8 bikes and have odyssey in 6 of them. As old as 8 years old. Now the best OEM battery I have had is the exide battery that comes in Piagio products like Vespa and Guzzi. I have 2 of those at 11 years old.

I'll add my experience with the PC680 from another thread here: PC680 charging

The PC680 and the WESTCO are both AGM batteries. My experience is that proper maintenance is much more important than the brand of battery

AGM (Absorptive Glass Mat) batteries need a slightly higher charging voltage than the older lead-acid batteries that some of these older bikes came with and were designed for. Also, if you use a "maintenance charger" or trickle charger such as a "BatteryTINDER", you should check to make SURE your model is designed expressly for AGM batteries. I use a model "2012AGM" "BatteryMINDer" (an unfortunate name similarity - a TOTALLY different business and charger from the previously mentioned charger) that has an additional DESULFATION cycle. And, it works, as described in the other thread.

I also changed the voltage regulator in the Bosch alternator for the AGM in my '99 R1100S, as described later in the same thread above. EME sells these for $39: BOALT-reg365

When the battery is properly charged and maintained EVERYTHING, especially the starter and Motronic, works better. And the battery LASTS longer, too.

More info on AGM here: AGM info

Edited by Lowndes
I have been using the PC680 batteries for a while in all our bikes but they dont seem to last very long and frankly have not proven to be reliable for me. Is there a go to battery anyone would recommend. These will be going into 1100/1150/1200RTs and are pretty much used everyday. I believe I have used the westco batteries from beemerboneyard several years ago before switching to the Panasonic and may end up switching back to them.

Morning KER

The thing with the Westco is Westco doesn't make their batteries, they just buy in bulk from a foreign battery supplier then slap their Westco badge on them. Years & years ago the Westco was a pretty decent battery, then they had a large run of batteries with internal failures (probably a cheaper supplier). I'm not sure where they are now on quality or durability as I haven't used them since they had all the problems.

As a rule a motorcycle rider can't beat the Odyssey (PC-680) as they are a very predictable & top tier battery-- BUT-- I see that you live in Ca. (HEAT kills batteries especially GEL batteries).

Unfortunately the battery in the BMW 1100/1150/1200 sits over the hot engine (1200RT slightly better position) so add the engine heat to the hot ambient temps & you get early battery failures as the battery temp easily exceeds 120°f while charging in some situations.

Unfortunately, most battery brands don't make the battery that they sell with their name on it (only a few battery manufacturers) so if you get (or had) a battery that worked good in the past it might be a totally different battery from a different manufacturer now.

Eckhard Grohe

PC680, +1, up to 7 years of use. use a battery charger for AGM batteries to top them up.

Edited by Eckhard Grohe

Look into a Panasonic LCX1220P. I have read that this is what Westco used to use. I have 3 PC-680's in use BUT I also use their charger to keep them fresh.

I have been putting Universal Battery AGM UB12220 in my R1100RT. $50 shipped to my door. Spins and starts the motor right up and has totally cured the ABS low volt fault out on start up that was an issue on the 1100 motors being started with less than a fully charged battery. You do need to ream the post holes slightly but this battery has been very reliable for me. I change them out at 5 years though they still are working well and have had zero issues with the 3 I have used in my RT even though they are designed for battery back up and emergency exit light systems. I likely would not use this battery in a GS ridden off road as they might not take that amount of knocking around like a true automotive battery. The UB 12220 is rated at 22 AH so it very similar to the 20 AH Panasonic mentioned above and it comes down to best delivered cost on which you choose.

I have a 5 year old PC680 on DaRTh and, when not on the road, he is hooked up to a Battery Tender Plus which is for AGM batteries.

http://products.batterytender.com/Dion/Battery-TenderR-Plus.html

I've had Westco's and Odyssey's and I found the Odyssey lasted longer. I also unhook/rest it overnight and then load test it every 6 months and it is still within spec.

We have dual battery tenders setup for all of our bikes, when they arent being ridden they are always plugged in. My bike ('14 1200RTP) appears to just eat these batteries. My main batteries is about to give out as the bike seems to be having a harder and harder time cranking over. I had also replaced my aux battery early this year with a new PC680 and within a week or two my emergency lights and mobile radio starting have some major issues. I had the light controller replaced since it appeared to be that, but a week later the issue was back (some lights not working at all, some just stuck on, airhorn cutting out). As soon as the issue popped up again I replaced the aux battery with another PC680, and all the issues went away. So, it would have appeared that I got a defective battery that time around. As stated in my original post I ride my bike pretty much daily for ride for several hours, either the charging system is poorly designed and can't maintain the battery or these PC680 leave much to be desired as far I'm concerned. I think for the price I might check out some of those universal batteries Paul mentioned.

We have dual battery tenders setup for all of our bikes, when they arent being ridden they are always plugged in. My bike ('14 1200RTP) appears to just eat these batteries. My main batteries is about to give out as the bike seems to be having a harder and harder time cranking over. I had also replaced my aux battery early this year with a new PC680 and within a week or two my emergency lights and mobile radio starting have some major issues. I had the light controller replaced since it appeared to be that, but a week later the issue was back (some lights not working at all, some just stuck on, airhorn cutting out). As soon as the issue popped up again I replaced the aux battery with another PC680, and all the issues went away. So, it would have appeared that I got a defective battery that time around. As stated in my original post I ride my bike pretty much daily for ride for several hours, either the charging system is poorly designed and can't maintain the battery or these PC680 leave much to be desired as far I'm concerned. I think for the price I might check out some of those universal batteries Paul mentioned.

Morning KER

More than likely your problem can be tracked back to your Battery Tenders as most Battery Tenders do not properly meet the Odyssey's battery charging/maintaining requirements.

From Odyssey battery-- "Float voltages (at the battery) less than 13.5V will pull the battery down (if it gets fully charged to begin with before going into float) into an undercharged condition and will maintain (Float) the battery in that condition causing sulfation and premature failure. Most chargers maintain or float at 13.2-13.4V which is unacceptable. This is the case with many of the Battery Tender brand of chargers that can be purchased today"

You either need to use a battery charger/maintainer that is on the Odyssey charger approved list or at least use a battery charger/maintainer with a snowflake (higher voltage) setting. Chargers with a snowflake setting bump the charging/maintaining voltage for cold weather charging so using that snowflake setting for the Odyssey is pretty close to perfect.

In the mean time you might recondition your present PC-680's then if the bikes are ridden often do not use your Battery Tender (unless Odyssey rated you are probably better off using nothing)

Morning KER

More than likely your problem can be tracked back to your Battery Tenders as most Battery Tenders do not properly meet the Odyssey's battery charging/maintaining requirements.

From Odyssey battery-- "Float voltages (at the battery) less than 13.5V will pull the battery down (if it gets fully charged to begin with before going into float) into an undercharged condition and will maintain (Float) the battery in that condition causing sulfation and premature failure. Most chargers maintain or float at 13.2-13.4V which is unacceptable. This is the case with many of the Battery Tender brand of chargers that can be purchased today"

You either need to use a battery charger/maintainer that is on the Odyssey charger approved list or at least use a battery charger/maintainer with a snowflake (higher voltage) setting. Chargers with a snowflake setting bump the charging/maintaining voltage for cold weather charging so using that snowflake setting for the Odyssey is pretty close to perfect.

In the mean time you might recondition your present PC-680's then if the bikes are ridden often do not use your Battery Tender (unless Odyssey rated you are probably better off using nothing)

Morning DR,

More than five years ago, when I was running short data logs in the garage (using fans to cool) and during the dead of winter, while I was making short test rides for the Wideband O2 project, I was also dutifully using my Battery Tender Jr. to make sure I kept the battery fully charged. Each time after testing I charged the battery, or so I thought.

The Odyssey was new in April ‘12 and wasted by June ‘13. Luckily I came across the Odyssey info on charging and reconditioning. Nearly 5 years later, after reconditioning the battery per Odyssey, boosting the charging voltage on my 1150 and only using a proper charger, that same nearly dead battery in 2013 is still going strong and holds a 95% charge. The R1150RT's new owner went and bought an Odyssey charger first thing and I bet he gets many more years service from the battery.

RB

Edited by roger 04 rt

Having purchased numerous batteries over the years, it seems to me that the most economical thing is to simply buy an old fashioned lead acid battery at your local Hondyamazuki shop. I've had AGM and BMW brand units, and sure, they're fine. But they're both also a lot more dough. What are they, twice as much? I know that I don't get twice the life out of them.

I started using Westco with my R1100R back around 2000 (+ or - a few years). I have been using them ever since. I have to say a couple of been better than others which adds credit to what DR is saying. I have thought about going to the PC680 as I keep hearing about them from a variety of forums. Be interesting which you pick.

• 2 years later...
On 12/23/2017 at 7:36 AM, dirtrider said:

The thing with the Westco is Westco doesn't make their batteries, they just buy in bulk from a foreign battery supplier then slap their Westco badge on them. Years & years ago the Westco was a pretty decent battery, then they had a large run of batteries with internal failures (probably a cheaper supplier). I'm not sure where they are now on quality or durability as I haven't used them since they had all the problems.

As a rule a motorcycle rider can't beat the Odyssey (PC-680) as they are a very predictable & top tier battery-- BUT-- I see that you live in Ca. (HEAT kills batteries especially GEL batteries).

. . . . . . . . 

. . . . . . .  .

Any update on the the situation with Westco batterys?

Three reasons I ask.

1)

eswkcxN.jpg

g5GSTRT.jpg

(in these pics , I am the old guy. THe passenger, with soninlaw FJR1300ES. And my son and grandson Tiger1050. )

(200 miles from home) (Came back later after was on maintainer charger for a few hours).

2) to show evidence that I do use the search function

3)

I asked dealer for battery recommendation/quote,. and got this reply:

///////QUOTE

We carry the Westco AGM Batteries for 119.95 We also stock the factory BMW Battery which is made by Excide for 193.77.

////////ENDQUOTE

Would the stock/BMW/Excide be a better match for the 02 1150RT charging system? .... and original BMW battery tender? 

Or is the present stock BMW/Excide also AGM....?

Odysess also AGM? or the GEL (why you mentioned about heat).

Note: My present battery is the BMW/Excide, installed early 2016 (by dealer in SanDiego), so about 4 1/2 years old. Spent 3 of those years sitting on the BMW maintainer charger for 6 or 10 or 12 months at a time.

33 minutes ago, Redman said:

Any update on the above situation?

I asked dealer for battery recommendation,. and got this:

///////QUOTE

We carry the Westco AGM Batteries for 119.95 We also stock the factory BMW Battery which is made by Excide for 193.77.

////////ENDQUOTE

Would the stock/BMW/Excide be a better match for the 02 1150RT charging system? .... and original BMW battery tender? 

Or is the present stock BMW/Excide also AGM....?

Afternoon Redman 

The Current BMW Excide battery for the 1150RT is more than likely a GEL battery rather than an AGM, (or at least is was a while back).

As a rule GEL batteries require lower charging voltage than an AGM.  The BMW GEL might work with your older charger & might not  (GEL batteries are a bit of an outlier when it come to charging as it is ever so easy to damage the GEL with incorrect charging).

I don't know where the present  Westco AGM Batteries stand as I don't use the Westco battery since  all the problems I had with them years ago. (they might be just fine now but I just use other brands)

In any case, paying that much for a battery at a BMW dealer is just plain outrageous.  

THanks.

Any more current recommendation?

Still Odesessy? Other than the GEL & heat & charging voltage situation?

(and now that have the bike here at home, and now have the experience of removing side panel, ..... so now have confidence in self to install battery myself)

Need to find a more cost effective vendor.

Odysess also AGM? or the GEL (why you mentioned about heat).

Note: My present battery is the BMW/Excide, installed early 2016 (by dealer in SanDiego $180 +$180 install), so about 4 1/2 years old. Spent 3 of those years sitting on the BMW maintainer charger for 6 or 10 or 12 months at a time.

Afternoon Redman

The Odyssey is a special AGM (kind of a cross between a starting battery & a deep cycle battery). Odyssey also has excellent  shelf life, or excellent storage life if disconnected from the motorcycle's parasitic load. 

The Odyssey is a good battery for everyday usage but should have a little higher charging voltage than the stock 1100/1150 alternators put out. It also takes a special charger for max life. 

Standard AGM also takes little higher charging voltage but not quite as high as the Odyssey does. 

GEL batteries have their own issues as they don't handle overcharging very well, don't like high temperatures, & when they fail they usually have sudden failure with little or no warning. The GEL does have a couple of things going for it  (it can be mounted upside down if needed), they are also safe to install at the factory then ship mounted in the motorcycle (even safe if the crate flips over inverting the battery).

YUASA  YT19BL-BS

It is an AGM battery. Fits the 1100/1150 bikes.  Ships dry with the battery acid supplied in the box.  Can’t get a battery any fresher than that. The Westco battery has always been made by others with a Westco label slapped on. Years ago, they were Panasonic AGM batteries. Good quality, so Westco got a lot of buyers. They changed suppliers years ago and they are not as good. You can still get the Panasonic AGM. Even they aren’t as good as they were. Panasonic shifted their battery manufacturing to China. More failures than before. 

I have a couple of questions. My original equipment battery on a 2015 R1200R is about 5 years old now. I knew it was nearing the end of its life, but this morning when I pushed the on button, I got a brief flash from the display then a loud disturbing sound that continued until I held the button down long enough to power it down.

So the first question is: Is that normal behavior for a bike with a shot battery. The bike sits for long periods between rides connected to an Optimate4 charger.

Second question: What to replace it with. I am in Mexico where there are not nearly as many options for purchasing. It looks like my options are a dealer for a BMW battery at around $4500 pesos ($200+ usd) or MercadoLibre (an Ebay type marketplace) where there is a Yuasa Ytx14h for about the same as BMW, $4397 mxn or a Yuasa Yxt14 (a slightly older version, I think) for around $1985 mxn (a little under $100 usd).The 14H apparently ships from the US and will have another $50 usd added for duty. There is zero information about the sellers on these MercadoLibre batteries.

I'm inclined to go with the dealer. It is a authorized BMW motorcycle only shop that I have had good experiences with and I would just as soon give them my business anyway.