IGNORED

Loose connector under ignition key?

Zapata

Hello Team:

New owner here. I found this loose connector under the ignition key. Can I use it to adapt a USB charger?

I don't want to cut the connector, what type of connector do I need to use this one? Picture on link.

http://img.gg/yWobc9X

Thank you very much.

I don't know, that connector is for the GPS power cable, using the BMW connector either supplied with your BMW GPS.

You can also buy a adapter or connector from the dealer and then power the GPS of your choice through the CanBus and it will turn on and off with the bike.

From the link above, how do you know what wire is positive and ground? the 3 wires are yellow.

Morning Zapata

On the motorcycle side of the connector pin 1 (Brown wire) is low (ground) & pin 3 (red/white) wire is computer controller +12v DC.

Just plug the 3 yellow-wire connector in then follow the Brown wire & Red/White wires straight through the connector to find the matching yellow wires in your added connector (then mark the yellow wires so you don't mix them up while making your connections (off-bike) to the yellow wires.

Just keep in mind this accessory connector won't turn off when you shut the key off but it will eventually time out (depending on accessory circuit time-out-control algorithm)

So DR, is there a reason why one could not just use a meter to see which pin had 12V?

Afternoon Hank

Sure you could use a meter but the connector would have to be plugged in & the ignition switch turned on. With knowing the bike-side wire colors vs power polarity it seems a lot easier to just look to see what yellow wire lines up with the known wire colors.