IGNORED

Just getting 1998 r 1100RS-abs need advice on service

Cal'sgone

The owner will have the bikes HEI replaced at his local shop, before I pick it up when the shop reopens in Feb. While its open, and on his dime//quarter I would like to know what would be prudent to replace on a bike with 42k miles as a garage queen. I hear about stick coils, wiring issues, maybe solenoids or whatever. It makes sense to upgrade to better and newer parts while it's all opened up, sort of a preemptive strike you might say. Thanks to all who can suggest what could make my new to me bike into a super ride. I have ridden for years, but getting older, and stiff enough that I don't do stuff myself any more.

Thanks Riders, appreciate your help, Cal

You'll get lots of good answers here, welcome to the forum. I already posted an answer on the MOA forum so I won't repeat it, but I just thought about adding - remove the charcoal canister. BTW, my other items were brake hoses and shocks.

Brake hoses using steel braided, and if the bike is equipped, make sure it has the metal fuel line quick connect on the male end.

Both male and female in a perfect world.

Fuel filter of It hasn't been done in a while.

That's a good start.

You might want to ask the owner the last time these things were replaced or serviced ...

brake fluid flush (speaking of brakes, if the brake pads are the original ones you might consider new. The before mentioned SS brake lines are always a good option for optimal brake performance)

tires - even if they look good, if they're more than 6 years old they're hard and performance/handling/safety is degraded

spark plugs

engine oil / filter

transmission oil

rear end fluid

valve lash checked/set

Beyond that, ride it and have fun

Hi, Cal,

I came REAL close to buying a '98 RS about a year ago. VERY nice bike, it is. Ended up with a '99 RT to add to the stable.

Spiegler or Galfer brake lines for sure. All of them. Immediately. They fail by bursting (no brakes) or locking up a wheel (not good, either).

I would strongly recommend an AF-Xied by NightRider. Beemer Boneyard has them. Lots of info on them on this forum and the NightRider website: "Link".

Basically, it's a little add-on device that enriches the air/fuel ratio to a much more driveable level. When you get tired of the low-speed stalling, cold natured startups, lack of roll-on power, you'll know it's time for one!!

ENJOY, and Ride Safely!!

Edited by Lowndes

HES, brakes lines and a major service (if one hasn't been done recently). Besides that you have a solid bike that is just coming into its own, miles-wise.

Kissan Signal Minder and related options to provide running lights and self cancel turn signals, plus rear brake upgraded to LED/flashing.

Conspicuity/driving lights.

Edited by tallman

"I hear about stick coils, wiring issues, maybe solenoids or whatever"

No stick coils.

Only wiring issue would be the HES.

I have 185,000 miles on my '98 RS, and the only failure was the HES. I had the transmission rebuilt at 135,000 miles (and put in a used clutch plate at the same time, even though it didn't need it), and replaced the pivot pins/bearings once (with OEM parts). Removed and cleaned the starter once.

The RS has the only comfortable seat BMW ever made, I think. Once you learn to sit properly on the sporty little thing, you will be very happy doing lots of miles.

Thanks flars, that is inspiring service life for sure. I'm thinking that it's going to be a bit different rding than most bikes, seating wise. I think it has double custom bucket seats, after market adjustable bars, and more. i was surprised how comfy it felt when I saw it, but chose to have it validated at a shop before going farther. They take Jan. off !! Oh, yeah, not sure of parts replacement, but I got the Clymer book, and a shop to do the heavy lifting up front, his dime !!

BUT , yes I signed up for a seniors yoga class to add to my aerobics, just to get the flexibility I expect to need to do this. A hip replacement doesn't help, but i don't plan to stop riding yet. This will be my birthday present, just in time for my 79 th. birthday.

BUT , yes I signed up for a seniors yoga class to add to my aerobics, just to get the flexibility I expect to need to do this. A hip replacement doesn't help, but i don't plan to stop riding yet. This will be my birthday present, just in time for my 79 th. birthday.

This is very cool! My dad rides a 2001 R1100RS, and he's 78, and will turn 79 in June. I ride a 2000 R1100RS and we ride together on at least one long trip each year. Enjoy!

"I hear about stick coils, wiring issues, maybe solenoids or whatever"

No stick coils.

Only wiring issue would be the HES.

I have 185,000 miles on my '98 RS, and the only failure was the HES. I had the transmission rebuilt at 135,000 miles (and put in a used clutch plate at the same time, even though it didn't need it), and replaced the pivot pins/bearings once (with OEM parts). Removed and cleaned the starter once.

The RS has the only comfortable seat BMW ever made, I think. Once you learn to sit properly on the sporty little thing, you will be very happy doing lots of miles.

flars, that's great mileage. Did you do anything with your suspension during 135K miles?