IGNORED

Have a red or white KIDDE ABC rated extinguisher in your house

Bud

Well, that was easy.

Replacements for our two 20-year-old extinguishers promised within 15-20 days.

Do you suppose they just happened to have ~40 million extinguishers stockpiled in the warehouse? :S

These two played a large role in a incident in our garage only three months after they were purchased. Late one night, stepson and his buddy were doing maintenance on the buddy's car - oil change, plugs, fuel filter, etc. Thinking they were finished, they started the car. They realized after a bit that fuel was pumping onto the engine and spreading across the floor, at which time it ignited before they could switch off the engine. Apparently somebody failed to reconnect/tighten one of the fuel lines. The resulting "WHUUMP" and shouts of "Fire" woke me upstairs. Ran down the stairs (starkers), found both boys flittering about waving bits of cardboard box.:dontknow: I grabbed one extinguisher from the end of the workbench, told buddy to shut off engine to stop gas flow and sent stepson after the other extinguisher from the kitchen. We used all of one extinguisher and part of the second to get everything out, probably within a couple minutes. My wife had called 911, but it took about ten minutes for them to arrive (time enough be sure all the fire was out, get dressed, roll the car out into the drive and still wait), so I'd expect that would have been long enough for the car to be toast and for the fire to have spread to the garage and contents. As it was, we had no actual damage(but quite a powder mess), and after fixing the fuel line, the buddy drove his car home.

If you don't have extinguishers in your car/home, I can only hope you never have cause to regret their absence.

Edited by lkraus

Time-saving note: the recall is only for extinguishers with plastic handles or, for the white ones, plastic push-buttons. If your extinguishers have metal handles, like mine, you're good (but check the gauges if you haven't done so lately).

Thanks again Bud - I called this morning and mine was also covered. I am expecting a replacement in 10 to 16 days. Funny thing is their corporate offices are 20 miles from me. I should have just offered to drive over and exchange them. :grin:

Edited by Sonor
  • 3 weeks later...
What do you do with the old one?

John we get a few of them dropped off at the station every now and again. What we do is hold them upside down and discharge the pressure. (pickup tube is at the bottom) After that it can just go into the trash. :cuz:

Pat

I submitted online today. Replacement due in 15 business days. Has anyone received a replacement yet? What do you do with the old one?

I had two of the recalled extinguishers and just received the first replacement today. The box has a return FedEx label and instructions as to how to package the old one and arrange for it to be picked up.

• 1 month later...
I'm still waiting for replacement of 3 of them.

Has anyone else received them yet?

I received my replacement about 3 weeks after I filled out the on line form. It arrived with a prepaid return label and instructions on returning the old one.

Edited by ltljohn

Filled out the rebate Nov 2 for two 3-A:40-B:C extinguishers, told to expect replacements within 15-20 business days.

Actually received them Dec 22, about 34 business days later.

Considering they are replacing ~38 million extinguishers from decades of production, I'm impressed that the exchange has happened this quickly.

I wonder if they are re-building the old extinguishers as they are received?

I submitted online today. Replacement due in 15 business days. Has anyone received a replacement yet? What do you do with the old one?

I had two of the recalled extinguishers and just received the first replacement today. The box has a return FedEx label and instructions as to how to package the old one and arrange for it to be picked up.

I successfully completed the process to replace two extinguishers. As I was lifting the second one into the box to ship it back to Kidde, the actuator handle snapped in two. :jaw:

I put in a claim for two of them several weeks ago. I received one the other day. Maybe the other will follow shortly. We'll see.

I filed a claim two months ago today. Hopefully they will show up soon.

I put my claim in for two replacements when this thread started, i received both just before Christmas. Over the weekend i "found" a third one hanging on the wall at the top of the basement stairs, i need to get it checked out and replaced as well.