IGNORED

09 k1300s smokes when cold

Kingofneon

I picked up an 09 k1300s with 9k miles on it

Its smokes pretty significantly at start up...white fuel smelling and i get an occasional catalytic converter smell when stopped at traffic lights

Any thoughts

I used to get the catalytic like smell from my 09 13GT when I bought mine (10K on the clock), but it went away after some miles on the bike. Do you know if the bike had the software update for the fuel system?

Dennis Andress

You could...

Disconnect that battery for 30 minutes or so to reset things. Upon reconnecting the battery turn the ignition on, don't start the engine, and twist the throttle full open to close three times to set the TPS.

Fill up the tank and add some Sea Foam. Mark oil level on the sight gauge. Take it for a decent, hard, ride; it will take 100 miles before a change will be felt from the Sea Foam, 300 miles will give some idea of oil consumption.

I've no idea if any of that will help, but you could do it, rather it's about all you can do.

Then take it to a dealer.

You could...

Disconnect that battery for 30 minutes or so to reset things. Upon reconnecting the battery turn the ignition on, don't start the engine, and twist the throttle full open to close three times to set the TPS.

Fill up the tank and add some Sea Foam. Mark oil level on the sight gauge. Take it for a decent, hard, ride; it will take 100 miles before a change will be felt from the Sea Foam, 300 miles will give some idea of oil consumption.

I've no idea if any of that will help, but you could do it, rather it's about all you can do.

Then take it to a dealer.

This.

Make sure tire/air pressure is up.

Just another thought on the matter. With only 9k miles on it, the rings might not be seated yet. I've talked to mechanics that told me not unusual for a water cooled engine to still have hone marks on the cylinder walls at 10k. If your bike hasn't been run truly hard (hard to do and stay out of jail) that could extend this ring seating significantly more. I can speak from my own experience with my hex head twin that even though it didn't noticeably smoke or use oil below 10k miles, it was getting stronger bit by bit up to over 12k miles. Of note, at the advice of an ace riding friend, I rode the dragon in 2nd gear (I'd normally be up higher than that) at around 4.5k miles. On the ride home my 6th gear roll-ons were as strong as my 5th gear ones were starting the trip! What I'll saying is BMW's need flogged a bit or ring seating could take a very long time. :P