IGNORED

Dakar 2018 TV Coverage

TestPilot

I've been programming my DVR to record the Dakar 2018 rally and am appalled at NBC Sports' coverage. Like last year, coverage consists of a 30 minute summary the day following each day's racing action. However, broadcast times are all over the map. For example, on January 7 and 9 the show is early evening, but on other days broadcast times range from 11 PM to 2:30 AM the following day. But not to worry. On Monday, January 8, we get to watch 10 hours of poker from 1 PM to 11 PM.

If it's recording it for you, what's it matter ? You can watch it at your leisure .

Like the F1 races, they are shown at appalling times as well sometimes, I watch them when I have my Honey Nut Cheerios and toast.

We are watching the Spanish language channels down here, more coverage and interviews even for F1. Can't stand NBC sports! Too many talking heads and commercials.

On Advrider there are a number of ways to get coverage and updates in the Racing section. Also this year Lyndon Poskitt, who's entered, has a video crew and is doing updates after each stage. I've read some of his reports from years past and he is quite interesting..

I don't know if anyone's watching these but I think it gives a great perspective into what it's like behind the scenes, the logistics, characters, drama, and camraderie of racing. Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans said, 'racing is life, everything else is just waiting'. And Lyndon boils it down to the basics for what it's like as a privateer plus he's a one man wrecking crew, he films, edits, acts, wrenches, and is a hell of a rider. Few can pull that off, and most wouldn't even attempt it. It's starting to get good..

Thanks for the links!

They just need to come up with a new race name,since the likelyhood of getting back anywhere near Dakar in the foreseeable future seems very remote.

JR356

I don't know if anyone's watching these but I think it gives a great perspective into what it's like behind the scenes, the logistics, characters, drama, and camraderie of racing. Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans said, 'racing is life, everything else is just waiting'. And Lyndon boils it down to the basics for what it's like as a privateer plus he's a one man wrecking crew, he films, edits, acts, wrenches, and is a hell of a rider. Few can pull that off, and most wouldn't even attempt it. It's starting to get good..

+ 100! :thumbsup:

Wow in all the years of watching the Dakar I've never seen it up so close! Thanks for pointing this out Bill, simply awesome!! :clap:

Pat

Thanks Pat, it really is a cool viewpoint and like Lee says he's a great personality which keeps it that much more entertaining.

Thanks for the update Bill! Look forward to others. :thumbsup:

Bought this 640 ten months ago with the idea of doing all the BDR rides here in the West.

Did Washington in August, up and back a real blast! Not on those tires...

Quite different than asphalt. :rofl:

DSC_1435-S.jpg

The landscape is amazing..

True dat! I'd love to be involved with the operations side of this event. Bill, me thinks you should get the gear together and we go do Dakar for a year or two. Only takes money, time, balls, talent, balls, money and money...and balls. ;-)

Bought this 640 ten months ago with the idea of doing all the BDR rides

DSC_1435-S.jpg

I know that ain't a new model year KTM but, she sure looks new. Nice find Larry! :thumbsup:

Pat

Larry and Pat that is a great bike, '05 or '06 640 Adventure, the last and best years, wish I still had my '03. It's the bike that began KTM dominance at Dakar, it won 5 of the 6 years it was made, and they've won it every year since (2001). Btw BMW won Dakar in '99 and 2000 with the F650RR a pretty nice piece itself but probably a little further removed from the production version.

BMW%20F650RR%20.jpg

True dat! I'd love to be involved with the operations side of this event. Bill, me thinks you should get the gear together and we go do Dakar for a year or two. Only takes money, time, balls, talent, balls, money and money...and balls. ;-)

How's that song go, "if you've got the money honey I've got the time" or something like that..

Tasker I possess none of those attributes except maybe the time, and I'm not real sure about that. :grin: A noble gesture though sir, appreciate the thought. (30 years ago, maybe : ))

Enjoying the video clips and L Poskitts perspective and approach. Look forward to more!

Need to say thanks again for the time in Colorado Bill. :shake:

The 640A I bought is a 2007. It had 5400 on the clock. I'll be reworking the suspension soon.

I meant to say '06 and '07 were the last years for the 640, great bike and hopefully they'll make another one like it someday.

Anytime Larry, that was a fun day for sure.

IMG_3062-XL.jpg

IMG_3065-XL.jpg

IMG_3067-XL.jpg

A little history on Lyndon's upbringing and previous Dakar. The learning curve was very steep by the look on his face in the beginning of the vid. " Malle Moto" I didn't get it at first but like you said Bill, pretty much a one man wrecking crew! :thumbsup: Really great stuff! :clap:

Pat

Edited by TEWKS
A little history on Lyndon's upbringing and previous Dakar. The learning curve was very steep by the look on his face in the beginning of the vid. " Malle Moto" I didn't get it at first but like you said Bill, pretty much a one man wrecking crew! :thumbsup: Really great stuff! :clap:

Pat

Yep I watched that, glad you found it Pat. It really shows what an undertaking it is for the little guys to even show up at the big dance. It reminded me (just a little, what he's doing is far more significant) of racing at Daytona and Sebring. It was always a volunteer crew and some years we'd be worn out before the race even started from working on and dialing in the car, driver's included. Plus the logistics of getting everything there turns it into a mission. I remember a buddy once saying, it's like going off to fight a small war.

I know that KTM has dominated in recent years, but arre there no BMWs entered in this year's event? All I see are KTMs and a sprinkling of other brands.

Randy

Doubtful there are any, they don't have a competitive model. Displacement was reduced to 450cc a number of years ago, most likely because KTM had been dominating and it's the only size bike the Japanese had been racing, everything else was an antique.

KTM has won the last 16 or so years but it appears Honda and Yamaha have begun bringing their full force ( as in Moto GP) so we'll see what happens. I haven't been following the overall standings but it should be interesting.

Good one, Lyndon gets himself tuned up, repairs steering damper with a hammer, and generally catches up on things with a much needed rest day.

Some of the best footage yet, plus Lyndon has a pretty big get-off (and uncharacteristically drops an f-bomb : )

Edited by roadscholar
Lyndon has a pretty big get-off (and uncharacteristically drops an f-bomb : )]

For some reason it just sounds less offensive when said with a British accent... :grin:

Pat

You know you've arrived when you make the crash highlights vid. Lyndon has two in this particular clip. If you don't have time for the entire vid at least check out the first one!! :eek:

Pat

Here ya go Pat, you would look most excellent on one of these.

GS Paris/Dakar

Lyndon gets roughed up a little in this stage but finishes (and spews a few more f-bombs w/less offensive accent : )

Yes and why I posted it. And dammit I used to have one of those, course you probably knew that : )

Edited by roadscholar

Lyndon finishes 2nd in class and 33rd overall, not bad for a privateer committed to giving us a good show as well as competing. Waiting for the last episode but in the meantime here's a summary of the last stage and results..

Great photos Selden, thanks.

Episode 19 isn't out just yet but here's a post from Lyndon on ADV this morning.

Pyndon, 23 minutes ago #1402

New

Wow, 1400 posts to read just in this thread, no change to ever fully catch up with all my media channels, they exploded!

All I can say is a massive thank you to everyone that supported the project financially and to all my sponsors. It cost a lot of money to be allowed to make the daily videos and without this support through the Kick Starter campaign it wouldn't have happened.

All I wanted to do was share my experience in a way that had not been achieved before with daily media and I'm so happy I was able to not only finish the race to complete the challenge I gave myself to share it. The team I carefully selected worked faultlessly under extreme pressure and I owe them a lot for their hard work and dedication. Finding people as motivated and committed as myself if hard. There is no "I" in team and the key 4 people that made this possible were spot on. Myself, Rick, Dario and Greg.

Thanks also to all the supporters for their encouragement, comments and general support. I could always hear thousands of people urging me on. It was a brutal bastard if I'm honest, I crashed more than I ever had in any other race, not through riding above my head but from the nature a technicality of the terrain. I had navigation issues (as did everyone - it was challenging) and found myself physically exhausted at times. I had to dig deeper than before but to finish Dakar 2018 was special.

Sorry for the delay with the final episodes, they are coming. 19 should be out today and 20 (the party episode) is also in production. I've seen lot of comments demanding the last episode and just wanted to share a few things. The effort and time involved in the production of this massive undertaking was beyond any of our initial thoughts. I spent time filming every day and then time with Dario in the bivouac, in addition to just doing the race. Dario worked none-stop, often through the night while I was sleeping to make this happen, overcoming many Satellite transmission problems and rightfully keeping me out of the loop so I could focus on what I needed to do. Rick drove for hours and was always in the right place at the right time to enable Dario to do his thing and support him all he could, I always had formatted go pros and charged batteries. The media crew were instructed not to help me or tough the bike or my gear in any way and they respected that. The only support they gave me was towards the media and they did it perfectly. When the race finished we were all destroyed. The media vehicle had to depart to Buenos Aires the day after the race finish so while Rick slept so he could make the drive, the rest went to the Red Bull Party, mainly to film it and share the experience. Dario then drove to BA with Rick without any sleep and to be honest, a good party inside him :-). I had to go and collect the bike immediately from the Parc Ferme and take it too the loading park to get shipped back to Europe BEFORE 10am the morning after the finish and party. I didn't have a team to do this for me. Having started the race with a chest infection, the preparation was tough and tiring, I fought through it and the race wasn't too bad but some lurgy was hanging inside me and two days before the end of the race I started to feel sick and achy again. To be honest, I made the call not to release EP19 for a few days while we got ourselves together. Rick and Dario are still on their long journeys home, last night I was in hospital again here in Argentina but am now on the mend. I appreciate all the positive comments and support for what we achieved and still have thousands to read. This is not a sob story and I don't expect any sympathy just keeping you in the loop of the things you don't see. We nailed it and are all super happy with the outcome.

Thanks again to everyone that enjoyed it and appreciated it for what it was and the hard work that went into it.

To the few that had this thread removed in the early stages, complained about me fund-raising on ADV rider to the mods (to deliver the best media from Dakar), generally begrudged me from achieving my dream and to all you keyboard warriors....:flip. If you want something in life, go out there and get it, push down the barriers and think out of the box, work hard for it because nobody is going to do it for you! The rewards I get personally for the hard work and selflessly sharing my adventures is massive and I'll continue to do so.

I'll try to read and catch up on this thread but for now I'm trying to take some time out and get healthy again. #racestoplaces #team #r2pdakar2018 #100 #ONIT

All the very best to everyone out there.

Lyndon ✌ï¸

Report#1402Unlike+ QuoteReply

You, kaosrider, h2o_snow and 4 others like this.

Yes it was! :thumbsup: Man, he is such a likeable guy, been a lot of fun to follow! :clap:

Another one I just started watching is his original series

More adventure touring than racing but awesome just the same. :thumbsup:

Pat

Oh, that Dakar edition probably looks stunning in person! :thumbsup:Bill, you do know I have a bike addiction issue, right? :java::grin:

Loving this series! :clap:

Pat

You suffer from MBD....like many of us. :rofl:

Thankfully there is treatment but as of yet, no cure...( ok ok get married :grin:) It just involves garage space and money. Both (see definition for expensive kids :ohboy:) which seem to be running in short supply up here in the NE. :grin:

Pat

While we await episode 20 Dakar, here is Lyndon racing Basil Bike in the

Some bad tire luck that would have broke most competitor's spirit, Lyndon perseveres through. If you didn't know by now, Bill has turned me into a big-time Lyndon Poskitt fan!! :clap::grin:

Pat

Thoroughly enjoyed Lyndon's coverage and video's. He is something else for sure, great rider and a fun character. He had a huge following from the people along the entire race course as well. His coverage was better than most anything else on TV.