IGNORED

Looking at a 2004 R1100S

BarnRat

This morning I am going to look at a 2004 R1100S. Does it have a powerlet port that I can use to put a trickle charger/tender on the battery?

Edited by BarnRat

It's there.

Usually on the starter motor plastic shroud.

It's there. Thanks. Got the bike home a few hours ago.

Or it can be added to any bike.

No need. It's there.

Edited by BarnRat

I've used the D3330 on my '04 1150RT. I'm pretty sure I had to buy a different cap wrench though, as the flats on the back were different from those that are on the Mahle/BMW filter. I can double check this tonight when I get home. If that's the case, I don't know if this difference would exist on all Bosch filters, or just on the DistancePlus variant.

I don't want to start a whole thing on oil filters.

But a pack from Beemer Boneyard is pretty reasonable and it's a good filter.

But yes. The filter from any R1100R,RT,RS,S,R1150R,RT,RS,R1200C, is the same. (and others)

Your R1100S uses the same 845 oil filter as many other Oilheads, including my R1100RT.

I have used the Bosch 3330 filter, also the Bosch 72161 filter, they both will work and use the same filter wrench as the 845 filter. If you search around for the Mahle OC91 oil filter, you will have the OEM oil filter for about 1/2 the price. If you can order the OC91D, you'll get the crush washers in the box too.

I've used the D3330 on my '04 1150RT. I'm pretty sure I had to buy a different cap wrench though, as the flats on the back were different from those that are on the Mahle/BMW filter. I can double check this tonight when I get home. If that's the case, I don't know if this difference would exist on all Bosch filters, or just on the DistancePlus variant.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

I have a half-dozen of those cap wrenches and several other kinds of oil-filter wrenches. I ordered the D3330 filter. If none of my wrenches fit, I'll take the filter down to the local auto parts places and find one that will.

Your R1100S uses the same 845 oil filter as many other Oilheads, including my R1100RT.

I have used the Bosch 3330 filter, also the Bosch 72161 filter, they both will work and use the same filter wrench as the 845 filter. If you search around for the Mahle OC91 oil filter, you will have the OEM oil filter for about 1/2 the price. If you can order the OC91D, you'll get the crush washers in the box too.

Thanks for the info. :wave:

Two famous brands, "HiFlo" and "K&N" make filters for our bikes - all the boxers - and the distinguishing aspect of each can is the 17mm nut welded on the end.

So there's no need to p*ss about with the special BMW / Mahle wrench to get the thing in and out.

All you have to worry about is making sure the old rubber ring isn't still stuck up inside the cavity after removing the used filter....

...and the other thing is not to over-tighten the new one after you've run your oily finger round its mating surface. Just snick it up by hand and then give one eighth of a turn on the spanner. The new rubber / neoprene sealing ring makes an oil-tight closure at all temperatures.

No need at all to wring its goolies off.

AL in s.e. Spain

• 1 month later...

Very Cool !!! A real traffic stopper, never seen one of that color design around here. AH, this is Oregon, pretty conservative around here.

Very Cool !!! A real traffic stopper, never seen one of that color design around here. AH, this is Oregon, pretty conservative around here.

Thank you.

I thought Oregon, especially the western part by the ocean, was very liberal. :Cool: I've only been to Oregon once, just barely over the southern border in Medford, and that was 46 years ago. :)

Really NICE!!

Box stock?? Looks like the carbon canister is still there.

How many miles!!

Did you get the side cases with it??

Edited by Lowndes
Really NICE!! Did you get the side cases with it??

Thanks. I think the R1100S is a gorgeous bike regardless of paint job.

Yes I did. I don't do any long distance riding any more. Just short morning rides 2-3 times a week. (I'm retired.) So, I immediately took the saddle bags off and boxed them for storage.

The bike is completely stock and only has 5300 miles.

Edited by BarnRat
Really NICE!! Did you get the side cases with it??

Thanks. I think the R1100S is a gorgeous bike regardless of paint job.

Yes I did. I don't do any long distance riding any more. Just short morning rides 2-3 times a week. (I'm retired.) So, I immediately took the saddle bags off and boxed them for storage.

The bike is completely stock and only has 5300 miles.

Great looking bike! Enjoy, but it is a great long distance ride. I am retired also but plan to ride to Washington state and Texas from Arkansas later this year. I have my second 04 R1100S, great bikes and easy to service. I would recommend doing a full service on it depending on when the last one was completed. It appears to have ABS so i would do a full system brake flush including the ABS unit under the tank. You can make or purchase from www.beemerboneyard.com, the funnel to service the ABS unit. I got my second R1100S with 27000 miles, so I did an oil service, brake flush, put on Spiegler brake lines, flush the clutch system, changed plugs, checked brake pads and anything else I could think of.

It's there.
Usually on the starter motor plastic shroud.

It's there. Thanks. Got the bike home a few hours ago.

Or it can be added to any bike.

No need. It's there.

Sorry ... on an 1100S, the "powerlet" port is mounted on the rear side of the main frame just where the rear subframe attaches. It you have something on your starter motor cover, it's a lug for jump starting and it's only a positive.