IGNORED

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC

Indy Dave

In! Reservations made. Arriving Thursday-Leaving Sunday.

Hope to have Christine with me (Real Estate business dependent). Also could have a new rider in tow, my daughter, Abby.

Going old school, no GPS, no communications. Any roll charts available?

simple

I-985 to clayton

Warwomen to 28 to 107 to 74 into Waynesville

109 to Hot springs then basically 19E to Blowing Rock

If you actually need a roll chart I have a word document that I use to make roll charts for my G450x :-)

Hope to have Christine with me (Real Estate business dependent). Also could have a new rider in tow, my daughter, Abby.

Way to go Mark! Kinsley :bike: and I are geared up for a Big Time in Blowing Rock, made even better with you and yours joining us :clap:

How exciting!!! I've got my reservation and my fingers crossed that the new job will allow me to make this. Would love to see Abby and have a chance to ride with you and Christine again!!

Lone_RT_rider
Three weeks and a half weeks since my off. I have two months to heal, this may get interesting!

Alan

I bet you can do it. There's some tough people up on that mountain. Would it help If we came and pushed your bike down to the bottom for you?

:jaw::Yes::whistle::rofl:

Three weeks and a half weeks since my off. I have two months to heal, this may get interesting!

Alan

I fully expect you to be at START. I showed up in 2016 about 10 weeks after my quadruple bypass surgery.

Remember Alan - There are priorities in life! Heal quickly, get your taxes filed, and show up at START!ðŸ‘

Alan, just caught your get off post...WOW. Take it easy and recover fully, the shoulder is nothing to mess with. Follow the doc's orders! Hope to see you at START.

Alan

I have no idea how to get to Blowing Rock from the McDonalds in Pikeville. :dontknow:

Won't you help a brother out?

Alan

I have no idea how to get to Blowing Rock from the McDonalds in Pikeville. :dontknow:

Won't you help a brother out?

Do you want the fast way :P or the fun way :clap:!

Blind Squirrel
I did something stupid. :dopeslap:

Riding down to Cedar Key with Chris K we were on a lot of roads they sanded and in some cases put gravel on the bridges because of the recent ice/snow. Once we got into southern Georgia the roads were straightening out and we were making good time. Most of the time I was in 5th or 6th gear.

So here is my stupid part. :P We came up to our next turn which came up a little quick. I guess I didn't down shift from 5th gear. I was leaned in the turn and I start to give it gas to straighten the bike up. The bike stalled and slip the rear end. I didn't realize the stall and thought I was sliding in sand. So I am off the seat trying to ride out the skid. The bike ran out of momentum and violently high sided pile driving me into the ground. All of this at 10-20mphs. Six days in the hospital. The hospital recognized there was something wrong with my shoulder they wanted me to get it evaluated when I got home. I have to see my Doc on Monday to get me into the Orthopods to evaluate how bad my shoulder is separated. I can tell them it's bad, I can't hold my arm up.

Chris K and Joel went the extra mile for me. Joel came down with his truck and picked up my bike, all my gear took it back to his shop. Chris came down to the Hospital in south Georgia took me to meet Deb north of Atlanta. She got me home. Craig called every night and talk for at least a half hour each time. That really helped me take my mind off my situation.

According to Chris my bike's only damage is a chunk taken out of the windshield.

Now here is my note to myself. Down shift before a turn. :dopeslap: Hahaha. At least I can laugh on paper! Hopefully I made sense here, pain drugs mess with my already bad writing.

Alan

What. The. F***?!? Hope you are healing well.

Blind Squirrel
Trailer both? Are you kidding? I thought you knew my trailer only fits one bike. :P

Meh! I bet if you got rid of all of that other sh*t we could get two bikes in there!

Lone_RT_rider
IN!

I have Limecreeks reservation.

Whip

There goes the neighborhood.... ;)

Are you sure you can't stuff Limecreek in a saddlebag? :D

Lone_RT_rider

Anyone else already getting antsy about this trip? I need to do a service on the bike and get that moving sometime before the SOP dates for maintenance on trips like this (the night before). I really need to at least do a 6K if not a 12K. I know the brake fluid needs changing. I should probably rotate the air in the tires too.

I usually have the ATL crew offering to come over and "help".... but something tells me my new location maaaaaaaay not be so conducive to that happening this time. :rofl::dopeslap:

tick......tick.....tick......

Has the Permafrost melted up your way, Shawn?? Time to un-mount the front uni-ski from you bike?

With warmer temps making brief appearances here and there, it's a great time to not only be sure you've gone over you bike and given it what it needs for START and the coming riding season; it's also a good time to practice full-on-gotta STOP NOW!! events. It's easy to forget in the excitement of just getting out on the bike to look after controlled stopping and object avoidance. Head out to a parking lot and ease yourself into full-on braking. Do several exercises, starting easy to get familiar again with your brakes. Once reacquainted with your brakes, find a back road and be sure to practice braking from the upper end of the speeds you ride. Get comfortable braking from those speeds.

Those roads Kinsley favors can be narrow and Garmin :dontknow: sometimes doesn't keep up - so brush up on low speed turnarounds too, in the unlikely event :rofl: you'll need to turn around. :whistle:

That's great to hear, Matt! Let me encourage you to start a thread about that and your regular braking routine in Ride Well. :thumbsup:

Lone_RT_rider
Has the Permafrost melted up your way, Shawn?? Time to un-mount the front uni-ski from you bike?

I'm not sure what your talking about? I got 100 miles in last Sunday. Have Gerbing, will travel. :D

Physical Therapy :dopeslap::mad: Slowly healing :clap: will the doc let me ride in time :lurk: inquiring minds want to know!

What, does he have your keys? ;)

I usually have the ATL crew offering to come over and "help".... but something tells me my new location maaaaaaaay not be so conducive to that happening this time. :rofl::dopeslap:

It's a little harder now that I can't ride up after work on Friday.

Lone_RT_rider

It's a little harder now that I can't ride up after work on Friday.

Yeah, there's that. And it's a bit of a lost cause trying to get my employer to relocate their facilities down South. :D They seem to be pretty invested in this town....at least since 1903. ;)

Kinsley and I hope you all will join us for dinner :eat:, beverages :lick: and whatever else we manage to come up with. :ohboy::shake:

201820meal20annoncement20rev2055.jpg

[This slide has also been added to the first post of the thread.]

Edited by workin' them angels

In. For dinner as well.

Seems no rooms at the inn? Booked the HIE down the road. Arriving Thursday leaving Sunday.

Bringing a friend who's not on the board.

Not bringing a BMW. Probably bringing a trailer.

Steve - rooms are tight, just a few suites available as of early last week. HOWEVER, there is a good chance we will have 2 or 3 standard rooms released to us in a week or so, when a smaller group's hold expires. I will update IF and when that happens!

You're more than welcome, no matter what you ride and any friend of yours is a friend of ours! Very glad you can join us!

Lone_RT_rider
Not bringing a BMW. Probably bringing a trailer.

In for Dinner as well. PayPal sent. Not Bringing a Harley, not bringing a trailer.

Awesome! The HIE can be cancelled easily up to 24hr before.

Matt I sent you a PM. Dave, if Matt's room doesn't work out I'll reach out as well.

Looking forward to it!

Steve - When/if you grab Matt's room, remind the desk that you'd like a standard room if one opens up (assuming you'd prefer one). I will continue to monitor the room availability as well.

markgoodrich
Steve,

I'm about to cancel a reservation for a suite if you want it

The hell? What now, Matt? You have more cancellations than McKinley has had bikes.

Kinsley and I hope you all will join us for dinner :eat:, beverages :lick: and whatever else we manage to come up with. :ohboy::shake:

201820meal20annoncement20rev2055.jpg

[This slide has also been added to the first post of the thread.]

Mark - Here's the details on Dinner. We've also been placing announcements on the first page of the START and FART threads so one doesn't have to scan page after page for info.

Not at all. We only started doing it last Fall - we were to stupid busy riding to have thought of doing it before!!

Blind Squirrel

Good news: Got clearance from the Mrs. for this!

Bad news: The Inn is currently sold out.

I'm on the waiting list to see if anyone drops out. If so, the Inn will call me. So, i'm in if I can get a room. Arrive Thursday, depart Sunday. (That Saturday is my b-day!)

RandyShields

Great that you can make it Scott. I am sure a room will open up. Beer/cocktails on me as a thank you for your low-key response to my GS getting blown over onto your RT at START 2016. :eek:

Randy

Blind Squirrel
Great that you can make it Scott. I am sure a room will open up. Beer/cocktails on me as a thank you for your low-key response to my GS getting blown over onto your RT at START 2016. :eek:

Randy

No worries about the RT incident ;) . I'm looking into contingencies (near by accommodations) in case something does not open up at the event site.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Late to the party, but I'm

In-L.gif

Showing up with Lone_RT_rider; he's this guy I met on the internet. I hope everything goes OK.