IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Well Danny, I am sorry you couldn't make to the 2nd monthly GA/FL or FL/GA lunch meeting.

It turned into a great ride and good lunch meeting. Rode 560 miles in assorted weather. Had lunch with RightSpin and a few fellows from eastern GA, Kinsley from N-ATL, and us 4 from NE-FL (Highway 41, Taoman, Bil R and me).

I even got to play tanker bike, when one of the GS's ran out of fuel. The poor fellow would not believe, that riding/chasing with me is bad for your MPG's. :rofl:

Will do it again next month. :)

A hundred mile BBQ run with temps in the thirties. Sorry, no proof of said BBQ but I do have a parking lot shot. Riding in December makes for a short winter! :thumbsup:

IMG_3554.jpg

Pat

Yesterday: Nice commute ride to work, stretched it out to a hour instead of half.

Today: Again ride to the shop. We had the local BMW club's monthly meeting there. Stretched it to two hours. Beautiful clear day, twenties early, cozy forties later. Gerbings on 3/4. Life is good. The meeting in the morning, tech afternoon in the workshop assisted by one of our technicians. Good day with friends.

Used it to go shopping. Yes, shopping.

A favorite ride is down to Micanopy where they have excellent Q

Good-Q-M.jpg

at the Pearl Country Store

Pearl-Country-Store-M.jpg

and then to downtown Micanopy to shop the antique stores

Micanopy-Day-Ride-006-M.jpg

Found an antique pendent watch that will do nicely for "The" Christmas present.

No photos of the ride down or back, too nice a day to do anything other than ride.

Bill

Went out and ran some errands. Picked up a new dual temp controller for my Gerbing since I now have heated gloves. It's been a while since I played around with the dual drive modes and traction control as well so I went and found some tasty road to do that with. Truly amazing how the different settings change the motor characteristics.

I also got a hold of Super Plush Suspension to start a dialog with them about upgrading the suspension spring rates for me along with adjusting the damping to get things dialed in properly.

I also got a hold of Super Plush Suspension to start a dialog with them about upgrading the suspension spring rates for me...

Funny, I made an appointment with them just yesterday to drop of my GS at the shop for some suspension massaging!

They are on vacation all next week, the Monday after Christmas I'll take my bike there for setup + rear revalving.

In the mean time, goodies are arriving from Woody's wheel shop:

21" front wheel for the "dirt wheel set"

pc130711sml.jpg

Rebuilt and trued 19" for the "street wheel set"

pc130718sml.jpg

--

Mikko

Went out and did a short ride on the Lincoln Highway.

DSC00125.jpg

Of course there has to be graffiti if there is somewhere to put it!!!

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

Not too much traffic.

DSC00128.jpg

Or any wind.

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

Good spot to stop. Sometimes it is pretty busy.

DSC00131.jpg

And sometimes not so busy.

DSC00133.jpg

The past several weeks we have had temperatures in the low 30's with frost/ice every morning. Couple that with an eighty percent humidity level and it sure feels cold. To tell the truth I am ready for a warm up and some rain.

Lyn got her bike out, a coffee stop was in order. About a hundred miles for the afternoon. Not real warm but sunny.

IMG_1755small.jpg

IMG_2470post.jpg

Sorry, no pictures.

We experienced a record high temp yesterday +13C. Between the temp and rain, our snow, the second session of 5" falls, melted away. Normally I wouldn't get too excited about another ride, especially since the sanders and salters have been out for a couple of weeks now and evidence of their activity remains on the pavement. However, I fired up the RT and rode it to a B&B about 3 or 4 km's away.

The reason for my ride is related to a community review of a local rail trail that motorcycles are no longer allowed passage. In fact, there is mounting sentiment to close this trail to ATV and snowmobile traffic as well. I've been participating in a series of community workshops that are part of a review of how the community wants this trail to be used.

What has become apparent to me is that the general public doesn't really know what a dual sport bike really looks like / sounds like. Their experience has been irresponsible kids ripping up and down the trail on loud 2 stroke enduros. Nor is the community aware of the planning of TCAT, the Canadian version of the TAT, and that in its' planning stage was routed over this local trail until, when proofing the route, the planners discovered that it had recently been closed to motorcycle traffic.

My trip to the B&B was a continuance of a campaign I have taken on to inform the public and local businesses about an opportunity that is literally passing us by. And this in a community whose economy is largely based on tourism. Coincidently, as I was demonstrating how quiet my RT was and showing the owner of the B&B pictures of typical GS machines, one of her neighbours walked in the driveway. As it turned out he was also participating in this series of workshops and in fact was one of the people advocating for a non-motorized trail. After chatting him up and running the RT I think I made some inroads with both these folks that we, the motorized community, aren't such a bad lot after all. I came away feeling it was a productive morning.

Temps are plunging tonight to seasonal lows so I guess it's finally time to give up the ghost of one more ride and winterize. Of course there's always the option of trailering South! :)

...the Monday after Christmas I'll take my bike there for setup + rear revalving.

--

Mikko

Hmmm, I sense a possible need/desire to ride west on that day too. Maybe, just maybe, I might bump in to you down there!! I wonder what time you might show up there. That would be such a coincidence to be there when you were there. Complete and total coincidence!

replaced another head light blub on my r1200 rt. they are only lasting about 5 months. What is with them?????

If you're buying them from Auto Zone or one of its clones, they have a full spectrum of choices. The brighter ones don't last as long as the standards. Had the same problem with the H7 low beam bulbs and ended up going to HID and ballast.

-----

Rode 200 trouble free miles in the calm, clear, cool day in the country....then promptly dropped it in the driveway at 0 mph when I got home. Can't even find a scratch...but my pride is wounded and I forgot how gosh darn heavy these things are to lift with full fuel by yourself.

Edited by Skywagon

Rode the 650 thru the woods on Saturday, 58 degrees here, WAY nice. Sunday, Lyn and I again went to Florence for coffee. A hundred miles round trip. Cloudy with wet roads.

Rode to work. About 75 deg F, cloudless sky, so took the "long way" down the coast instead of straight on the Freeway.

Looked a whole lot like this (Wikimedia Commons image). You can actually see the road in front of the houses in the middleground:

800px-Sorrento_Beach_1.jpg

Might go home tonight the same way. :grin:

Checked out of work early today, & rode up to Fernandina for some last minute Christmas shopping. I'd have pix if Smugmug would cooperate, but they aren't. :P

Just a short afternoon ride. It was too nice to stay indoors.

Wish I had my bike here. It's beautiful day for riding, sunny, no wind and temperature around 60?

Just a short afternoon ride. It was too nice to stay indoors.

Wish I had my bike here. It's beautiful day for riding, sunny, no wind and temperature around 60?

Only around 50 :grin:

I rode up to Morrow Bay. About 300 miles, up PCH, 33, out 58 to La Panza Road, then 41 thru' Atascadero into Morro Bay.

Tomorrow I hope to make it to Phil's Fish Market for lunch at Moss Landing, then on to Pacifica.

dc

Started the Wood stove in Garage, Planing to plan the plan of installing cases on the R75/6. Than I will plan getting more wood for the fire. I wont actually plan on commiting myself other than to Plan ahead. :lurk:

I went around my ass to get to my elbow.

Rode the barrier islands - Bird Key, St. Armands, Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island - to get to a restaurant near the airport. A 10 mile drive turned into a 22 mile ride.

Gotta charge the battery somehow. :/ Too bad it was so cold, only 76F.

Xmas day, took a little ride to Yosemite. A few icy spots, no big deal. Nearing the Big Oak Flat ranger station saw a sign " Tioga Pass open"...asked the Ranger when the last time Tioga Pass was open on Xmas day. He stated "never in recorded history". :eek:

Temps near 34 degrees in the valley at 10am. Warmed to 50 degrees leaving at 1pm.

Saw NO other bikes the entire trip. Saw few people in the valley, had lunch at the Ahwannee. Falls were just spitting a water/ice mixture. No snow anywhere, no even the tops of the big granite monsters surrounding the valley.

Even made a run back through the Hetch Hetchy turn off, Cherry Lake, Tuolumne River and City to 108. Clear, some ice on the bridge, no prob though.

Got pics, but had to buy a 1 time use camera. Maybe I can upload 'em once I get 'em on a CD.

BTW, anyone who is inclined to ride the next few days, Hwy 4 and 120 over the Sierra's are open. No snow, roads pretty clear, just don't hit it before 10am, Ice may get ya.

MB>

I rode from Pacifica over the big bridge to Sausalito, then back down the waterfront onto Skyline south, all the way to Santa Cruz. Then on to Watsonville.

That Skyline sure is a nice road.

I stopped at Alice's Restaurant for lunch and met two riders from another forum, as we had arranged.

Quite a nice ride really, tho' there was fog all over the bridge; I couldn't see the tops of the towers, but Skyline. I do not believe there is a more curvy or crooked road than Skyline.

dc