IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Unboxed the new horn connectors that arrived today from Max.

That counts, right? :Cool:

Sounds like we need to plan a tech day at your home in the near future. I always wanted to wire up a extra horn. :)

Sounds like we need to plan a tech day at your home in the near future. I always wanted to wire up a extra horn. :)

Can do. :thumbsup:

It's been too long since I held a tech day.

Edited by Huzband

Can do. :thumbsup:

It's been too long since I held a tech day.

Well, we will have to wait until the great white north defrosts before Knifemaker will be able to return to the warm south. Remember no tech day without Knifeboy. :rofl:

I did mount a new rear tire, rear brake disc and replaced my rear brake pads today. Changed the oil in my rear drive also. Bike ready for Cedar Key on Saturday.

Sorry about the hijack.

Edited by Bernie

Yeah, changed the oil. every 12K or every 2 rear tire, which ever is first. But it was my first rear disc, I think it was about a mil below min.

Don't feel bad, Danny you will be able to change the oil one day also.

Edited by Bernie
Yeah, changed the oil. every 12K or every 2 rear tire, which ever is first. But it was my first rear disc, I think it wass about a mil below min.

Don't feel bad, Danny you will be able to change the oil one day also.

:P

Paul In Australia

Put some new custom routes in the Garmin today in preparation for 2 weeks time for the big trip. Haven't done a long trip now for a year. I promised myself this year less work and more motorcycle, sailing and my kids ( not in that order). Got the kids now and loving it. 2 weeks time off to ride some of the best bike roads in Eastern Australia. Lyons road, Summerland Way, Oxley Highway, Thunderbolts Way and maybe if time permits , the Alpine Way.

Tomorrow wash and polish the RT.

best regards

Paul

Installed my Touratech Zega Pro side cases, FINALLY, last night.

093-L.jpg

091-L.jpg

094-L.jpg

096-L.jpg

Sorry, my "model" wouldn't get out of the pictures I took last night. :grin: She keeps telling us that she wants to go riding with Whip and go shopping Texas style. LARRY!!!!!!!

I'll get more out in the open today.

Left the house intending on making it to Calaveras Big Trees. It was heavy mist/light rain in Jackson so I decided to head west on Hwy 88 instead of continuing into the rain. Took Hwy 12 into Lodi and thankfully didn't get stuck in Lodi again although it's not a bad place. Checked my oil when I got home just for grins. The level is right on the "max" mark after 5000+ miles since the last oil change. 130 miles round trip. Not the greatest ride but better than nothing....

Rode to Cedar Key and back. Had lunch with a whole bunch of folks from BMWSporTouring.com. Great riding, great weather, great food and friends, life is good.

The bike was overdue for a bit of maintenance so I gave it some fresh oil in the final drive, tranny and crankcase, plus new oil and air filters and 4 new sparkplugs...... also a valve adjust and throttle body sync. Turns out the throttle bodies have needed no adjustment for the past 24K.

I'm pretty happy with that. I also replaced the right fog light bulb..... man what a PITA that is! Now its time to get out and ride!

Yesterday and today:

1150RT 2004 model

Pulled the fairings as I have a new set of stainless steel ZTechnic engine guards to install, replacing the old plastic ones.

While doing that, might as well change the gear oil..done. Old fluid was nice and clean. This is all about getting a known starting point and recording date and mileage, so that I know when specific services are due.

While having the fairing and the plastic engine guards off, I decided it's time to have a crack at valve adjustment.

Having been unable to get the front pulley cover off, where the HES is before, I decided to have another crack at it. Works out that using an "L" shaped Torx lets me get the lower bracket bolts (one is close to the exhaust manifold) out. All done from the RHS.

With that the RHS shark fin can be removed, including it's metal bracket and now the front pulley cover can be easily pulled out down and to the RHS.

Now using the RHS hole for the TDC mark, I am able to turn the engine over until the inlet/exhaust valves are loose.

Works out that the exhaust valves are way too tightly set. The Wurth "30" Feeler gauge can not be inserted at all while the "15" fits into the gaps with a bit of play...not good.

As already reported in the "valve adjustment guide", the weirdest thing happens...as you adjust one, the other changes it's clearance.

The LHS was closer to correct, but uneven.

Replaced both Rocker Cover rubber gaskets and donuts to have a known starting point. (Bike was purchased 2nd hand from a BMW dealer).

Being forewarned, from other reports, I managed to get the Rubber bung back into the TDC inspection hole, without pushing it through.

With fairing still off, I fired up the bike to check for any oil leaks...all good. engine runs sweet at idle and LHS tappets are nice and quite. RHS tappets are hard to hear over the dam rumbling sound. Old version cam-chain tensioner????

While hear, might as well check it out.

Starter also has been turning over a bit slow from day one I purchased the bike....might as well have a look at it.

It's free but can do with a cleanup.

Battery is fine, but the slow turning over can be a high resistant connection on the positive/negative side.

There is some corrosion on the main Positive connection and corrosion between Starter and engine/gear box which I assume it's getting it's negative through the chassis.

I will clean them up properly and then protect the terminals with Battery terminal spray.

The gear lever has some lateral play which I have to look into. There appear to be some bushings in the gear lever axle, which show play..not sure if I can purchase them.

With the throttle body out of the way, I have access to the LHS cam-chain tensioner. Unscrewing it, shows it to be the old version with the large/long spring.

As it has been raining here close to none stop and forecast is for more of the same over the next week, I might as well order parts and leave the bike as is until they arrive.

Time to make a list of parts to order......

Sunday 1/29/2012.

Rode out to Round Top, Texas (pop. 90) and met my brother (lives in Austin). Round Top is ~90 miles from Houston, ~90 miles from Austin, and has a decent cafe. From Austin and Houston, there are good back roads to Round Top, so it's a good place to rendezvous.

Temperatures were in the 50's when I left Houston; but by ~1pm had warmed up to the 70s. Not bad for the dead of winter.

My brother had just bought a brand new Gold Wing and I was looking forward to riding it. I've never ridden a Wing before. So, after lunch, we traded bikes for some comparison riding. The Wing is a nice bike and I was surprised how nimble the it is...for 900+ lbs. Creature comforts, especially for the passenger, are amazing. I can see why folks like them for 2-up, long distance, riding.

However, when I got back on the RT for the ride back to Houston...well, let's just say the, "feel" of the Beemer cannot be denied.

I'm down here in San Francisco where it is about 65 degrees, light breeze, sunny, and crystal clear out.

Getting the Super Tenere suspension dialed with James Siddal at Super Plush Suspension.

Right now, I'm out on James' KTM 950 Adventure, cruising the city. Wish a couple of you were here!!!! There are some beautiful photo opportunities today and I didn't bring the camera.

I'm out on James' KTM 950 Adventure

Some say, "once you go orange, you never go back".

Some try white, some try blue, but you're right....

:lurk:

I'm out on James' KTM 950 Adventure

Some say, "once you go orange, you never go back".

Could happen to anyone.

:thumbsup:

And then there's black. :Cool:

I traded in today my 2004 1150RT which now ran perfectly (even the dealer was impressed how smooth the engine was) for a 2005 1200RT with radio/ESA/On board computer/ heated seats/ Cruise control.

Hi Texas

Yes I will have to take some pictures soon.

By the way, I finished my tuneup just the night before, including tapped adjustment and synchronizing on the 1150RT.

So the first ride after tuneup was to the dealer.

That bike was now brilliant, vibes were easily comparable to my wife's brand new Yamaha XJ6S and gave the 1200RT a real run for it's money.

To be honest, I told my wife over the intercom that if the trade in deal wasn't good enough, I would be more then happy to keep the 1150...it was that good now.

The dealer thought the same as he took it for a test ride and asked me how I got it that smooth and then made me a great offer on the trade in...too hard to refuse.

So with the great information found here on the forum, careful valve adjustment and a good synchronization, they can rival the best of them.

Edited by Alfred02
Just rode to work. Made 60 miles out of 25. Hope to ride home this afternoon. Typing from work, no computer at home.

It snowed here a little north of where you are this afternoon, so I hope your ride home was uneventful Paul.

After buying the 1150RT back in Nov, I have been buying riding gear and such whilst sitting over here in Afghanistan. So far I have added: Schuberth Concept helmet, Gerbings jacket with dual controller, a single Gerbings controller and am working on another riding suit for the winter months. I purchased an airflow jacket and summer pants this past fall. Gotta love the MOA flea market and IBMWR.org!

Just rode to work. Made 60 miles out of 25. Hope to ride home this afternoon. Typing from work, no computer at home.

It snowed here a little north of where you are this afternoon, so I hope your ride home was uneventful Paul.

On my 7" $90 Netbook that some times works, but mostly not: Got home in a nice snow fall wiping it off my face shield. Not freezing, so no propblem.

CoarsegoldKid

Practiced slow speed skills on my RT with other riders connected with the Central Valley BMW Owners Club. Former owner of BMW of Fresno Jack Harwood set up the cones and we tried to dodge them. Good fun.

Changed the transmission and motor oil, inspected alternator belt, check valves (adjusted one) and put the crash bars back on that have been sitting on the shelf for a while.

Should be good for the road again.

--

Mikko

No, it's the truck that's broken :dopeslap:

The final drive on the GS did poop on my way back from DV but it's fixed already.

--

Mikko

Got out for about 150 miles of dirt roads in the valleys and mountains south of Tucson. Most above 5K feet. Absolutely beautiful winter day at 70 degrees with near zero humidity.