IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Went to the local Starbucks for a cup of coffee. Somehow, when I drive the car, it is a 6 mile round trip, when I ride the R12RT, it is 40 to 60 miles round trip. Go figure. :thumbsup:

Edited by TeSmSp

Purchased a 1/4" 20 to 200 inch pound torque wrench at Harbor Freight for $19.95. Pittsburgh Pro. Supposedly ok wrench.

To use to torque valve cover bolts rather than strip them out.

(I'm not a guerrilla, but my idea of good and tight is tighter than many people may think.)

dc

bushmanstan

Took my 2007 1200RT to my dealer, Bentonville BMW, for a front brake hose recall and to replace a faulty fuel sensor strip. I had the dealer order some Sahara highway pegs and a peg lowering kit so they could do all the work at one time.

While my bike was in the shop I was given the key to the dealers K1600GTL demo and went on a 100 mile joy ride - Bentonville to Eureka Springs and back on Highway 62. What an awesome, wonderful and scary fast machine. If I had a sack full of money and time to enjoy it I would have to order the GT version of this bike

My 1200RT is now pretty close to the perfect bike for me with the highway pegs and lower foot pegs + a fuel gage that works. My 55 year old knees can now look forward to a long ride again.

CoarsegoldKid

I went looking for dirt on the DRZ again. Found it. Nedler Grove, Soquel above Oakhurst in among the Sequoias on narrow rock and boulder exposed forest roads. At one point I stopped to view a deep granite gorge and saw a bear cub about 50 feet away. Momma couldn't be too far away so I didn't stay. All in all a good day in the cool mountain air.

Removed Ohlins shocks to send to Ohlins for rebuilt and heavier springs. Reinstalled OEM shocks for time being.

Installed my Zumo to my GSA. Also mounted a Bags Connection "City" tank bag with electrified Quick-Lock.

Then went out for a test ride of about 150 miles. Windy, but fun.

Dropped a dime on the LH cam chain tensioner upgrade for "Stoner" and spent oh, about 10 minutes doing the simple replacement. @ around 54,000 miles, it was more than time to do it.

Since I couldn't get the time or money together to make it to Torrey (I really wanted to be there for the eclipse), I decided I'd just ride to Big Bear Lake and back.

Slabbed it out to Redlands and took hwy 38 up the back way, 18 across to Arrowhead and Gregory Lake, 138 past Silverwood Lake and down to Angeles Crest Highway,

and the Crest back to Pasadena.

Saw several of these today and just had to stop and get a pic. This one is Westbound ACH before Wrightwood. :thumbsup:

BigBearLoop019.jpg

I got in behind a guy on a silver RT and thought it might be HeyFrank taking a spin on his new ride, but it wasn't him. Nice day! Guess I'll just have to view the 79% eclipse here...

Now where did I put those eclipse glasses?...

Had the whole day planned for a good ride, but things didn't go quite the way I'd expected....

Left Ridgecrest at 9 for an all day trip to Nevada to get a good view of the eclipse. As I arrived in Stovepipe Wells, which is about a third of the way to the viewing point, I went to the Death Valley National Park office to renew my annual pass before proceeding on to an area 60 miles east of Tonopah.

After paying for the pass and getting back to the bike, I glanced at the rear tire of the GT and saw cord showing through a few sections of the centerline of the tread :mad: Dammit. I knew the tread was getting low, but the tire (a Metzeler Roadtec Z8) only had 3,700 miles on it and I figured on getting at least another 1k out of it.

Apparently not.

Needless to say, I wasn't going to continue the journey and made the decision to bag it and head back home. Now I'm riding on pins and needles, waiting for the dreaded rear flat. I had my tire repair kit with me, but didn't know how effective it would be for fixing something other than a nail puncture.

The return trip was an exercise in restraint and patience. Never exceeded 50 mph, and even cruised at 35 for quite awhile over the rougher pavement in the Panamint Valley. It took over 2 and a half hours to cover the 100 miles back home. The 100 degree temps didn't help my attitude any...Fortunately traffic was light on the desolate roads and was only passed a few times as I puttered back home with no issues.

I have another set of Z8's in the garage and will replace the rear tire tomorrow, but will be experimenting with other tires in the future. Probably PR3's. Haven't done much research on the PR3's yet, so we'll see what turns up.

As I'm typing this I'll just throw it out there... How's the mileage with the new PR3's?

Hope you guys had a good weekend!

Danny caddyshack Noonan
How's the mileage with the new PR3's?

Fairly solid. 2500 miles and no real sign of wear. Tire wear though is just like gas mileage....it falls off as a function of drag/wind resistance.

CoarsegoldKid

Actually this ride happened on Sunday however I type this on Monday. I Rode approximately 400 miles of nearly all twisty mountain roads two-up with my wife and Heck as tail gunner. We were out to meet up with a group out of Modesto having lunch at the Walker Burger near Coleville, CA on 395. It certainly was a great day for riding. Little traffic, just a little sand in the corners and for some reason the cages were particularity nice in pulling over to allow us travel at the posted speed. Then there was one cowboy driving a dual wheeled pick-up slow enough to look for lost contact lenses on the pavement and not staying in his lane on the mountain passes. Still a wonderful day of riding.

Rode from Piran, Croatia to Plitvice Park.

Hope you stopped at Licka kuca and had a big bowl of

licka juha.

Hi old man.

Siphoned 2 gals of old gas out of the RT so the wife could mow the lawn. :grin:

5 weeks since the knee replacement and I still can't get on the bike. :cry: Rehab every day kills but there is progress. I am shooting to be able to ride by the time the UN come around.

Marty Hill

Tewks, thanks for that/I can save my camera arm. Mr. Zoom, get better soon youngster. :thumbsup:

Headed back to tuscany in a few days/then france to see my daughter for a day/belgium to see Bart, then on to england to finally meet Andy and Steve.

Edited by Marty Hill
Paul Mihalka

Changed engine oil/filter, Castrol GTX 20/50. Front brake was a bit pulsating, so it got a good cleaning. Little 100 mile test ride, brake is smooth. All is good...

Looked at it to make sure it's ready for the trek to work & back tomorrow in the heat & humidity of Fl. Summer's here already. :P

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Rode in to work for the first time this week due to some issues. Warren Zevon and Tom Petty on XM, clear carpool lane, looking very stylish on an RT. It's going to be a good day!

mikeR1100R

Wired in the new Zumo 220. Installed the Sena SMH 10's on the helmets. New PR 2's installed. Yesterday changed trans & final drive fluids and did the TB sync (valves adjusted and spark plugs replaced a few days ago). Also cleaned and detailed from top to bottom. Tomorrow I change the oil on the Ninja, adjust and oil the chain and hopefully install the new touring windshield if it arrives. Getting ready for our trip to the Poconos!

Went out for a 25 mile breakfast ride just so I could take this picture.

Made it home without anything falling off or breaking.

img0578uic.jpg

Of the bike or me.

----------

Glenn Reed
Went out for a 25 mile breakfast ride just so I could take this picture.

Made it home without anything falling off or breaking.

Of the bike or me.

That's great Bob!

How many of those miles were put on while you were walking it around the sharp corners?

Technically, this happened yesterday. I just have a few bumps and bruises-nothing serious at all, but the bike did not fare so well. I can't believe the damage, but maybe I was going faster than I think? Oooops!

Wow, that looks a little more adventurous than your average tip over! :eek: Glad you're alright!

Pat

Technically, this happened yesterday. I just have a few bumps and bruises-nothing serious at all, but the bike did not fare so well. I can't believe the damage, but maybe I was going faster than I think? Oooops!

Man OH Man, I'm glad you are OK, Sharon!! Sorry about the bike. It looks pretty knarley.

Today I am officially bikeless, as I accepted the insurance checks and signed over the title. One year ago today seems like a decade ago :D

Dang, Sharon. Glad you're okay.

i-Zj8hGxb-L.jpg

Dang, Sharon. Glad you're okay.

I think it looks worse than it seemed at the time. I couldn't believe that the bike was so broken I couldn't get back on and keep going. I did find two new bruises today. :P

i-Zj8hGxb-L.jpg

You know Sharon I threw mine down several times but NEVER that good!! in Fact the bike never got a scratch on it. The crash bars and bags took all the damage but the bike was never touched. You must have hit that with your body? I usually try to leap off the side and let go! You must have ridden it down all the way till the last moment?? :cry:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Ouch Sharon. Glad you're ok.

"My dad is a TV repairman. He has this awesome set of tools. I can fix it!" Spicoli

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Rode down to Folsom to get a Helicoil kit for the Triumph.

Just down the road and I get an alert:

WINTER STORM ADVISORY

:S

Then another:

SNOWING IN THE AREA

:S

May in California. No precip yet but, tomorrows lunch at the Burger Lounge in S. Lake Tahoe looks scrubbed. Snowing up there now.

Downright nice down here!