IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

I rode about 25 miles, first time in 11 weeks.

REALLY liking this! Congrats!!

(I went to the bank today... you and a few others know why...)

REALLY liking this! Congrats!!

(I went to the bank today... you and a few others know why...)

:thumbsup:

Feels good, does it? :thumbsup:

Yes, yes it did.

Longest I have been off a bike since 2000.

Received both the Pivot Pegz (which were on back order for the entire summer) and the Hyperlites I ordered. Haven't installed them yet (will tonight) but I did peruse the directions. I really enjoyed this step of the directions for Hyperlite installation on a R1200GS:

Remove the rider’s seat. Locate the wire bundle that starts at the rear of the motorcycle. At the most accessible spot carefully remove 3” to 3½” of protective wire loom.

I know, I know ... it’s really beautifully done. Cowboy up! Take it off!

Craig

Yeah, it is wrapped nicely. Good luck on the "accessible" spot. I ended up removing it near the rider's left frame a little aft of the centerline of the seat as it was the only place I could get my big thumbs. Easy install after that. Hyperlites are great.

Terry

Nothing! Had to drive the truck today. My bike sitting in the driveway looking a little upset and confused. It was a beautiful sunny day. First time in nearly 2 weeks she's been left home alone.

I rode to work and then stopped by Sonny's BBQ and picked up lunch for the me and the 2 guys at my house that were putting up a fence in the Florida heat. 1 Gallon of sweet (and I do mean SWEET) tea, ribs, chicken, pork, turkey, baked beans, slaw, and mac-n-cheese.

Then I walk back to the bike and realize all I have is 1 bungie cord. I got it all home, though. Boy those guys sure were happy to see me pull up.

Pivot Pegz and Hyperlights (with amber turn signal leds) installed. Everything works great.

Riding to tomorrow Jamestown VA via the ferry tomorrow to check the place out. Neither Terri nor I have been in decades. Of course, the leisurely ride to and from will be an important part of the day.

Local fire department had a poker run today. I would guess there 100+ bikes. A couple of Japanese cruisers, 2 gold wings, alot of HD and me. Luckily the group kinda split into "real slow" and "let's get this thing done" so i didn t have to drone along in 3rd gear for over 100 miles. Good time and great folks.

Sounds like a fun trip. Haven t been in years either. I m on Lake Gaston due west of you. Let me know if y all head this way, i ll give you the 20 minute tour.

Sounds like a fun trip. Haven t been in years either. I m on Lake Gaston due west of you. Let me know if y all head this way, i ll give you the 20 minute tour.

We try to avoid heading into the US58 corridor. The LEOs on that roads find a way to give out tickets like candy. Besides that it's a boring road until about mid-state. When we head south, like we will for F.A.R.T., we tend to leave the day before after work, dive down into NC, and then turn west ... riding across the swamp land (which is actually very pretty). Then we spend the night in Roanoke Rapids. That's fairly close to Lake Gaston.

We've aslo talked about doing day rides out that way just to ride for BBQ. I'll let you know when we head out that way.

A bit more prep for the three week riding starting next Sunday. Mounted rear wheel with zero mile Anakee 2 H tire, I hope it will make the whole trip. It is the highest mileage tire I found. Changed oil/filter. Normally bike lives on Castrol GTX, today it got Mobil 1 as it won't see a oil change for many miles.

What a beautiful day it was on Monday. :grin:

Hit the road early afternoon after therapy. Went out to the country and saw some early harvesting. Wow has farm machinery gotten BIG !!! 30' tables for wheat and soyabeans, 12 row heads for corn. Grain wagons as big as a house. Crops vary from ok to very poor. Saw one farmer discing under a bean field as the plants were maybe 8" high, very sad. :cry:

Bad thing was all the roads were __________________ :( mile sections but I did find 2 curves and tested the P3's :thumbsup:. Work well and seem more stable on the little gravel that gets on the road at corners.

If all goes well I think I will make it to the F.A.R.T :clap:

Replaced the 2" risers on my wife's Boulevard with 4" bent risers so she doesn't have to feel like she's reaching so far out to get to the bars. It would have taken half an hour except that my allen wrench broke off inside one of the bolts and I spent the next 2 hours drilling it out. I basically ended up drilling through the bolt, around the broken wrench piece since even the cobalt bits I had weren't able to make a dent in it. Many high-5's were had when we finally got that thing out of the way and were able to get on with what we were doing.

She's much happier now. Although she needs longer cables for the throttle, so of course she's looking at some $110 ones that are platinum coated since they are 'pretty'. Which of course means that the brake line and clutch cable now have to be pretty, too. I think I've created a monster. Someone please send money. Lots and lots of money.

Edited by Computerbob

Ordered a waterproof case that I will be making into a top case. I will post pictures of the bracket I'm making and the case when done. If all goes as planned I should only have about $120 invested in case and mounting bracket.

Got back at 4 something this morning from the 2,000 mile trek from Tucson with my new (to me) 2005 R1200gs formerly owned by johnlt. Will be sending in my paperwork for the Ironbutt SS2000 tomorrow. Thanks John and Matt for all your help. I could not have done it without you.

Also... I love my new GS!

(Oh, and does anyone want to buy an RS? I'll be posting on the classifieds soon.)

Joe Frickin' Friday

Went for a ride last Friday, gorgeous weather up here in Michigan lately. On one stretch of road there were electrical/phone cables strung on utility poles next to the road. Up ahead I spotted a raptor (hawk? falcon?) sitting on the wire. I stared at him, turning my head so as to face him the whole time I passed by - and was amused to see that he, too, was turning his head to keep his beak pointed at me the entire time that I passed by. Almost felt like I shoulda waved or smething. :grin:

Did an engine oil change on my 2005RT, 1st one since I purchased it not long ago.

Was told that it had a complete 40.000km service, despite that it had just 38000 or less on the clock.

I always thought that the oil was a bit dark for it's age but left it at that.

As my symbol had started to appear once in a blue moon and despite that it showed more then half in the glass window, I thought I will do an oil change as I couldn't be sure which engine oil they had used.

A good 40km run to heat it up and then draining it overnight.

When I pored it out of the drain container, it was like fricken "tar"...so much for their 40.000km service >:(

New oil and filter and still have to take her for a run for final oil adjustment/top-up.

Then start make a long list of inspection/fluid changes/maintenance as I now can not really trust what (if any) has been done.

Brake bleed entire system. Adjusted valves. Replaced rear tire used at the UN with a used one in better condition. Drained the oil, replaced old oil filter and also a new air filter, cursed on a new alternator belt. Tomorrow TB sync.

I commuted on the bike for the first time in almost 4 months.

Good to hear Matt. Years ago, my Dad blew his Achilles apart and lost most of a summer after the surgery.

Installed the new style cam chain tensioner and cam chain guard today on the GT. Probably the easiest thing I'll ever get to do on the bike. Also the most nerve racking as torquing the 17 clutch cover bolts to a measly 26.5 inch pounds + a quarter turn each had me holding my breath the entire time waiting for a bolt to snap ---- off.

If you've been putting this one off, don't. There's plenty of good videos and posts on the web on how to do it urself.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Installed a HID lamp in the high beam socket of the 12RT along with two mini LED lamps below the mirrors. Awesome lighting for the poor deer hiding on the side of the road.

Replaced the antennas in the J&M bluetooth setup since they had gone bad....somehow.

Maybe a run to Truckee for breakfast tomorrow?

Edited by Danny Noonan

I rode from Green River Utah to Georgetown Colorado.

All along I70, but it's very scenic thru' there. And there were plenty of fall colors, but mostly yellow, particularly most visible in Vail.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I will ride from east to west thru' Rocky Mtn Natl park.

Then down to Durango on Wednesday.

The schedule is for some rain so I'll just have to take a chance on the weather.

There was rain here, but it all missed me.

Tho' I did see lightening to the south of the road.

dc

Rode thru' Rocky Mountain National Park, in the rain. And cold. I did not stop much, as there was not much to see, with limited visibility. However, there were some wide vistas of the valleys here and there.

And then coming south on Berthoud Pass I saw the temp. at 34 degrees when I noticed snow all over and ice forming on the windshield and my helmet visor.

It may have been colder, I only saw it when it said 34. And then slowly began to rise.

dc

I rode today into Durango from Georgetown. North of Leadville was total snow everywhere, and 34 degrees.

But no rain all the way here. And it's nice here.

Tomorrow I'll ride the train to Silverton and back and then Friday ride into Torrey.

My room faces the train station so I'm watching the trains come in.

dc

Such a gorgeous day here in SC. I am lucky enough to have a great friend that helped put new tires on my bike Sunday. I had to take it out today to work on scuffing them up for the ride next weekend in NC.