IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Picked up my new Metzeler Karoo tires for the Super Tenere and AltRider's Taste of Dakar ride in a couple weeks.

Oh, and I picked up the mail. In it was the latest 2013 AltRider catalog. I am proud to say that I have a small contribution on page 7. Pretty cool!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Rode to work just like most days when it isn't raining. However, in the winter, I don't normally leave my Gerbings jacket at work from last Friday. Good thing is was a balmy 41F.

Monday I rode to a business meeting in my old stomping grounds of Patuxent River MD. Left VA Beach it was 33 at 7:00. Twnety mins later it warmed up to 35 as I crossed Hampton Roads. From there it dropped about 1 degree every 20 miles or so until it was down to 28 degrees. Man ... That was cold.

When I traded my 04 RT for the '11 GSA one of the advantages I was looking forward to was increased airflow to keep me cooler in the summer. Well, it kept me cooler in the winter too. At 28 degrees, I couldn't tell that my heated grips were even on, much less on high. Had to make a coffee stop at one point just to thaw out a bit before pressing on.

Coming home yesterday was quite the opposite. Started off at 4:00 at 43 degrees. Arrived home at about 8:00 and it was 52. Suffice it to say I was over dressed and had to turn the electric jacket off.

That said, it was really a pleasure to take a nice long ride, mostly through the farms and scenery of middle and northern necks VA.

Going to a DADS meeting two miles down the road after dinner. We're a group of dads (& granddads, uncles, stepdads, etc.) that are trying to show a more positive and involved view of fathers for our kids. We do fun, inexpensive things that the kids like and try to better and more visibly involved role models for the rug rats.

Afterwards, a few miles riding around town seems likely.

Just got the bike back from its 48K service at BMW Jax. Valve lash has not moved in the last two servicing events and I still have not bought a shim.

Sure does run smooth. Wash day tomorrow.

Bill

Hello to all.

I normally ride about the area of northern Calif. Last week I rode south to central Calif.

This is a photo of me and my RT at Port San Luis on a perfect morning. Across the parking lot (out of the pic) is a coffee shop called the Fat Cat. Great food can be had there all day long. The view over my left shoulder is Avila and Shell Beaches.

The weather for the ride was mostly clear w/ a few showers.

It was quite a week to be on the RT.

Ron

DSCN3284.JPG

OOPS!!! I see that my previous post is out of date, while trying to post a pic, I lost the logic of "today"--apologies to the OP.

Ron

Edited by REDDINGRDR

Rode to the local BMW club's meeting. Nice group of friends. About 60 miles one way, stayed off the Interstate. Temps between 20 and 30, sunny, not much wind, clean roads. Not bad for February.

I replaced the throttle cables last January, and decided to re-sync the throttle bodies. They were only off by a hair (about 1/6th of a turn of the adjuster), but even that little makes a significant difference, noticeably smoother at highway speeds. I think my 99 R1100RT at 104,000 miles is significantly better than it was when I bought it 40,000 miles ago. As long as I have the strength to manage its (not insignificant) mass, I really can't imagine trading it for anything else.

Started " Operation Springtime" today. :grin: Removed all tupperware and cleaned,checked,adjusted and replaced items as necessary. While replacing alt. belt found some missing paint and corrosion under the cover :(, cleaned and painted affected area.

Will complete the project next week as some parts are still "on the way"

Felt good to wrench as it was too cold to ride ,24 degrees and salt on the roads. Looking forward to seeing ya'll at Helen & Back :thumbsup:

Cousin's wedding done, brother's family departed, wife gone to visit Mom, weather clearing, so I get to ride. Met Bernie and George at City Coffee in St Augustine, had a great visit, then put the caffiene to good use west and north for a couple hours. Even got a pass from a county Sheriff. A great afternoon.

Bill

PS - Hat off to a guy I passed heading south on a naked, very dirty Ducati with Ill plates and only a tank bag. Long way he rode in nasty weather.

Edited by Highway41

Got a new P3 mounted on the rear. Getting ready to order new shocks and perform a brake fluid flush and new hoses while the shocks are on order.

Rode my RS with a couple guys with RR's... then we went to the local Porsche dealer and ogled cool cars. Maybe one of them will be my next cage. ;) (Just kidding... if I had the money for that, I'd just get more bikes!)

Busy all weekend getting ready to move...coming into work this morning SB 5. I admit I was daydreaming in the #1 lane when I noticed a bike right next to me on my right...LEO probably LAPD. He moved over close to me then looked at me...I was doing over 85. I throttled down and he continued on his way. Woke me up. Thanks Officer! :dopeslap:

Rode 330 mi thru the socal mts with 6 other board members. What a beautiful frickin' winter day. Great company and fine roads. I have to hand it to CalTrans for keeping up these wonderful motorcycle roads. Oh and the lunch at Tina's in Maricopa was memorably filling.

Did about 120 miles with Lawnchairboy and Roadscholar along with my son. Down to Palatka for a late lunch and then a little backroads, backwoods, brickroad past an old old old church house in the field.

040-M.jpg

050-M.jpg

Did about 120 miles with Lawnchairboy and Roadscholar along with my son. Down to Palatka for a late lunch and then a little backroads, backwoods, brickroad past an old old old church house in the field.

040-M.jpg

050-M.jpg

If I didn't love all of you guys so much, I'd have to hate you... :dopeslap:

New shocks are on order so...

- i pulled the tupperware

- learned how to remove the tank

- got a mouthful of gas because I filled up the last time I rode and could figure any other way to lighten the tank other than siphon it.

- Flushed the front and rear brake lines before i ran out of warm. ( the shop was 37 today and I couldn't run the heater because of the gas tank.)

- I learned a lot about the brakes

- about how nice the funnel setup from Beemer Boneyard is for a flush,

- and am very grateful for a link posted earlier this week to some great How To tips by Dana Hager, Charles Gilman, and Brian Curry on Adv Rider ( they clarified the manuals instructions nicely)

- got a mouthful of gas because I filled up the last time I rode and could figure any other way to lighten the tank other than siphon it.

Next time push all but one end of the siphon tube in the tank so the tube fills with gas. Seal the end with your thumb, pull the tube out until the end is below the fuel level, release the end as you put it into your gas can. Works best with a full tank. No muss, no fuss and your beer still tastes right.

135 mile trip from Ware to Bournemouth, then back next day.

Cold no problem with heated grips and so much wind protection.

Couldn't have done it on the Bonnie or the GSX.

135 mile trip from Ware to Bournemouth, then back next day.

For a minute I thought you were on Cape Cod, don't believe it's 135 miles.

Oh right, that's what they were named after. :grin:

roadscholar
Got the GS ready for some Florida sand! :eek:

Pat

Nice, I mean gnarly! :grin::thumbsup: I'm installing some big honking TKC's (off a 1200) on the 650 as we speak. So, what are all those trophies in the background for? :wave:
Computerbob

Today I rode for the first time in 2 months since my wrist surgery. Did just over 120 miles and feel pretty awesome.

(Technically, I rode on Thursday night too, but 5 miles to dinner and back doesn't really count.)

So, what are all those trophies in the background for?

Got some of them riding my other dirty bike and a few more back in the eighties riding a Honda trike.

343_41909_0218.jpg

Pat

Rode to Jack's Hill Cafe, Towcester, UK to meet up with some of my Round Britain Rally friends to kick tyres, swap tall tales and have a "Full English" breakfast.

IMAG0358-L.jpg

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
lawnchairboy
Gone ridin'... just a little afternoon ride. Temps up to 50 and sunny - gotta use it.

Damn. Hope I'm doing the same thing at 70+.

Finished up the spring tune up and put the tupperware back on. Wife was glad that I got all the parts out of the dinning room. :grin:

Was going to test ride today but snow is falling ! :cry: Will winter ever end?? Only 3 weeks and 3 days till I plan to ride south :clap: might need a snow plow.

Bought my 2001 R1100RT about 3 weeks ago and finally got out for about a 100 mile ride Saturday in and around St. Louis MO. Good thing cause it’s snowing like crazy this morning and due to get 5-8”. First bike like this I’ve owned so I needed to get out for an extended ride to get a better feel of her. So far, so good. Moved the seat from low to medium position which is more comfortable. Love the retractable windshield.

Spent yesterday with Huzband and Bernie running the backroads for about 350 miles to meet KDeline for lunch down near Orlando

Spent yesterday with Huzband and Bernie running the backroads for about 350 miles to meet KDeline for lunch down near Orlando

Yup. And there's curves west of Orlando. It just takes some speed to make them interesting. You know... like Utah. :grin:

Lone_RT_rider

Yup. And there's curves west of Orlando. It just takes some speed to make them interesting. You know... like Utah. :grin:

Utah? I don't understand that reference. And neither did the officer on UT12 in the spring of 2007. :/

IMG_5515_zps2f9f7cc5.jpg

Pat

Can I move into your garage?

PS : Good luck in the Florida sugar sand with that beast...

Edited by FLrider

Yesterday, I cleaned and reassembled the BST-40 off my DR650. Jan helped me get it back on the bike, and then we checked and adjusted the valves. Today, I finished up the carburetor installation, re-installed the gas tank, and installed a new air filter. I rode it around a bit, then I changed the engine oil and filter. The bike runs great!

I was lucky enough to get in a short 25 mile ride, temp got up to 50 degrees, just waiting for winter to be really over here in the north east..This winter was way to long...