IGNORED

Introduction and O2 Question

roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt

I wanted to update the thread with a status report. The narrowband-shifting device manufacturer continues to make progress. Below is a photo of the device, with a generic connector to which a model-specific (R1100, R1150, R1200, F800) cable harness with OEM connectors gets attached. The installation procedure will be: plug in the OEM connectors (and connect a ground wire in some cases).

Inside the "black box" is a small data acquistion and digital processor that intercepts the stock signal and sends a modified version to the Motronic.

There should be a production version with a small first run in about a month. This probably seems like a slow process but the manufacturer is handling this in a professional manner, which takes time.

narrowshiftproto.jpg

Edited by roger 04 rt
roger 04 rt
Really nice work Roger

Will you have your own software to program it or you will use LC-1 software ?

Good question. The narrowband-shifting device needs no programming.

AFR (lambda) is set by a small rotary dial, #2 in the product photo. If you want 14.1:1 you turn the dial to setting 6 which is confirmed by the yellow LED, #4.

Here is a brief summary of the various options for shifting Closed Loop air-to-fuel ratio (AFR):

All solutions maintain full Motronic or BMSK function, and in the case of BMSK, trip computer accuracy.

1) Device to shift stock Narrowband sensor. The benefits are:

-Lowest cost solution.

-Simplest to install.

-Easiest to switch back to stock setting.

-Adjustable without computer

-Narrowband O2 sensor most durable (but at 10 - 20 years, your's may need to be replaced

Limitations: Exact AFR sensitive to exhaust temperature.

2. Dual fixed-AFR Wideband Sensor

-Accuracy and stability of AFR equal to LC-1.

-Installation requires a simple replacement of stock sensor.

-Less costly than LC-1 plug & play kit.

-No programming or adjustment required (or possible)

Limitations: No data reporting function as with LC-1

3. Innovate LC-1 Plug & Play Kit

-Easier to install than off-the-shelf LC-1

-Dual AFR channels, user programmable, optional AFR gauge.

-Second channel can be set leaner than stock for Best Economy or very rich for Best Power.

-Comes calibrated and pre-programmed.

-Includes OEM connectors.

-Fully user programmable from 12.5:1 to 16.2:1

-Datalogging diagnostic capability and software package.

-Can be periodically calibrated for precision AFR.

Limitations: None

Roger

I hope you'll have great success with the sales of your kit.

I'm sure anybody who will buy your kit will have a lot of service when they will buy your kit.

As my LC-1 O2 sensor failed, I had to use my bike in open mode with a Booster plug. I missed a lot my programmable AFR. Bikers who are using boxer equipped with O2 sensor should use programmed AFR kits because they really don't know what they are missing.

Boxers should make torque and this is the way to make them torquier and funnier to ride.

Thank you very much for all the informations done in this thread.

roger 04 rt

About a month ago I shipped a narrowband-O2-device to an owner of a well tuned stock R1100RT, in Vancouver. Over the past month he put about 4000 miles on the beta-device. Here is a report he posted on another board. In addition I would add that these are also the results one would expect if the lambda shift had been made with an LC-1.

Narrow Band O2 Sensor Shift Device Beta Test Report

June 2, 2013, prepared by Happy Wanderer

I?ve returned from a 4,000+ mile beta test of Roger04RT?s narrowband O2 sensor shifting device on my 2000 R1100RT. Roger put one together for the 1100RT that was plug and play for beta testing purposes. Installation involved removing the right side fairing panel, unplugging the O2 sensor connector and plugging his device in series with existing connectors. Unlike the 1150 there is no ground wire required and installing it couldn?t be simpler. The device itself was placed under my seat on top of the air box for easy access. A 2mm hex tool, a few cable ties, resetting the ECU and about an hour is all that is required. The unit was installed on a well tuned stock bike known to be surging and averaging ~41 miles per US gallon.

I did some initial local testing initially at both recommended test settings which were:

F6 = 14.15 / 1 AFR or 4% enrichment

F7 = 13.8 / 1 AFR or 6% enrichment

Both settings produce noticeable changes and improvements. Initially I found F7 produced better results but long distance testing proved that F6 gave a better balance of performance and mileage improvements once adaptation by the ECU was allowed to complete.

Riding Observations:

- The first thing I noticed was in low gears (1, 2, and 3). Steady throttle in these gears typically produce a lot of annoying ?hunting? or surging which results in a jerky ride. This was smoothed out significantly with the device.

- Roll on throttle performance is greatly improved especially in the higher gears. The wonderful thing about this is that you can put through those small towns in 4th or even 5th gear without the usual complaints from a big twin engine. Goodbye jerky, surging ride through small towns.

- Available torque at low speeds in the higher gears is also much better. This allows you to slow down without shifting gears and then pull away again in a smooth controlled fashion. I normally downshift at around 3,000 RPM but found myself and bike quite comfortable down at 2,000 and even lower in some cases. When I noticed this I was quite surprised so I went riding around some back streets where traffic was light to nonexistent and tried it again several times. There is definitely a lot more smooth acceleration power available at low RPM. No pinging, no complaint from the engine at all, it just rolls on and away you go.

- The transition from on and off throttle is also smoother. This is great when adjusting your speed in traffic. The throttle is less snatchy.

- The fuel cutoff lurch you feel on an 1100 around 1500 to 1700 RPM as you come to a stop in gear is less pronounced. Still there but not as harsh.

Mileage Data:

My former average was 41 mpg. The data I collected over 4,000+ miles of riding shows it is now 44.6 mpg or 2.4% better on average.

Noteworthy points in the data: (see table below)

- Change in performance from the 7 setting to the leaner 6 setting

- Mileage improving over time during the first several days (Motronic 2.2 ECU adapting)

- Performance at high altitude desert conditions (Utah and Arizona) is just excellent.

To summarize the riding test I would say my bike is much happier running a slightly richer mixture. And happy bike = happy wanderer. J Although the surging is not completely gone as has been experienced and documented on the 1150 it is reduced to a much more manageable level. I am highly suspicious that this is due to my fuel injectors not being perfectly matched but having them cleaned again and re tested will have to wait until much later in the riding season or perhaps when I am gone on one of the other bikes for a couple of weeks!

Oh and one more important comment. I have to remove the beta and send it back to Roger now?

And I am NOT happy about that one bit!

HW

fuelmileagedata_zps76c9e002.jpg

Edited by roger 04 rt
roger 04 rt

Part 1 of 4

Earlier in this thread, Terry posted on the installation of dual LC-1s on his 2011 R1200GSA. Since that time he's ridden thousands of miles but importantly, has continued to log air-to-fuel ratio (AFR) and engine data by using the LC-1s and a GS-911 in tandem. I've digested several of his test rides into four charts that I'll explain in four posts. The BMSK has some very good features that solve problems of the Motronic MA 2.2 and 2.4.

R1100s and R1150s use two generations (or three if you include dual-spark) of Motronics for controlling spark timing and fueling. Each of those systems works with one O2 sensor that is placed in a spot where it measures the average oxygen content of the exhaust. The R1200 has two O2 sensors (and knock sensing) which supply additional data to its engine control unit called the BMSK.

On an R1200, the BMSK manages two mostly independent Closed Loop programs. This means that it can nearly perfectly balance the left and right cylinders. This is an important feature that essentially eliminates surging. On 1100/1150s we meticulously balance air with TB syncs and valve adjustments but have to ignore fuel imbalances. Not so on the 1200, using its two O2 sensors it can easily equalize fuel, keeping left/right power (air plus fuel) equal—no surging, and a smoother engine. On 1100/1150s your choices are to clean and measure your injectors for balance or to add a few percent more fuel so that all the oxygen gets burned, making fuel imbalances less important, diminishing surging and making the engine smoother.

Although this is an Oilhead forum I feel that some of the insights from the R1200 will be beneficial to R1150 and R1100 riders too. So to that end Terry disconnected one of this two O2 sensors, reset his BMSK so we could see what things look like before Adaptation cleans-up the left/right cylinder differences and then reconnected the O2 and watched what happened (next post). He also made a short test ride with an O2 sensor disconnected to see what happened when an O2 failed.

One O2 Disconnected, BMSK Reset, Cold Start

Using the LC-1s, Terry's AFR has been programmed 7% rich and therefore his AFR runs around 13.6:1. In the left-hand LC-1 chart below take a look at the connected cylinder's AFR (purple line). One of the first things you can see is that the R1200 gets into Closed Loop operation very fast, only needing about 20 seconds or so (my 2004 RT takes a few minutes to warm enough to run Closed Loop). If you look very closely at the chart there is a difference between the purple and black lines at startup--about 4% AFR difference. Terry's bike is well tuned (TB Balanced and Valves) so I believe is the natural AFR imbalance of his motorcycle, a combination of a small fuel and a small air imbalance. This natural imbalance is interesting because it could easily exist on any 1100/1150, we just wouldn't know it.

The cylinder without an O2 is running pretty rich, in part because he has an air-temperature shift device adding 6% and in part because there is a slowly declining warmup enrichment (notice the injection time coming down), but also because without an O2 on one cylinder the BMSK seems to be leaving a margin of error toward the rich.

Looking on the right hand chart, which is GS-911 data over the same time period as the LC-1 chart on the left, you can see the base injection time (blue line). When cold the pulses are about 4.5 mS long and within 20-30 seconds they have been reduced to 2.5 mS. The same base time is used for both cylinders but there are also two LCFs (Lambda Correction Factors), one for each cylinder. Looking at the red line you can see that the Closed Loop program which creates the LCFs reduces the fueling to about 82% of the base time. The disconnect cylinder doesn't have any way to calculate an LCF and it stays at 100% and that cylinder remains rich.

The key takeaways here are: fast warm-up with O2 connected, 4% difference between the cylinders with no Closed Loop correction and the LCFs which are the short term Adaptation Values that I've mentioned before in this thread. Later there will be some charts showing long term Adaptation. You can also see what's going to happen in the short term if you lose an O2 sensor.

bmsko21.jpg

Edited by roger 04 rt
roger 04 rt

Part 2 of 4

In Part 1 we saw the 4% initial imbalance between the left and right cylinders of Terry's 2011 R1200GSA and then what happened in Open Loop with only one of the O2 sensors attached. The LCFs (lambda control factors) also showed how the BMS-K calculates its Adaptation Values. Next is how the injection time and both LCFs interact when the second O2 sensor is reconnected.

Reconnected #2 oxygen sensor

Looking at the lefthand side of the first chart below, at about 9:02 (point labeled 1) the second oxygen sensor is reconnected. It only takes about 15 seconds for the BMSK to smoothly compute the second cylinder LCF and lock Closed Loop, and in the process make a 14% fueling correction. If you look closely at the LCFs on the righthand side, they are 8% apart, more than immediately after being reset (about 4% at the start of the chart in post 1 on this topic). I don't have an explanation for this difference.

At point 2, the throttle is blipped, the BMSK sets both LCFs to 1.00 (it's in Open Loop mode) and you can see that the AFRs both go rich, but one is richer and the richness lasts longer. Later, when the BMSK has fully adapted, I'll show that both cylinders are nearly perfectly AFR equalized. The BMSK is simply amazing.

bmsko22.jpg

Looking at the chart below, the lefthand LCF graph is the same as above, but the righthand graph shows what's happening with the idle stepper motors (which seem to run in sync in the data I have on hand). What the BMSK does next, knowing that it has both O2s running, is to begin normalizing other aspects of its operation. First notice in the LCF graph on the left that both LCFs head together several percent richer. Since almost everything else has stayed the same (spark timing, RPM and TPS), why is the BMSK Closed Loop routine requiring more fuel (as seen in the LCF trend upward)?

The simple answer is that just before connecting the second O2 sensor, the average of the two LCFs was 0.92 (1.00 vs 0.84). After the second O2 is plugged and its LCF has adjusted, the average LCF (on the right of the chart) is 0.86, less fuel on average to hold the idle at around 1150.

The other interesting thing going on is that the idle stepper motor value is dropping. It looks like when both cylinders are balanced by the Closed Loop programs, both O2 sensors running, it takes less fuel (average LCF lower) and less air (idle motors lower).

So there's the Cold Start sequence and the role of O2 sensors, idle stepper motors and the BMSK's symphonic handling of its sensors and the LCFs (Adaptations). I believe that this is relevant to Motronic MA 2.2 and 2.4s (1100s/1150s) because there are things like this going on inside those ECUs as well. I hope this helps to illustrate the types of processes in Closed Loop that are more visible on the BMSK.

bmsko23.jpg

Edited by roger 04 rt
roger 04 rt

Part 3 of 4

Test Ride on One O2 Sensor

On one of the tests, Terry left the cylinder 2 O2 sensor disconnect and went out for a ride to see what would happen. He told me that he barely made it out of the driveway the bike was running so roughly. And that's no surprise, one of his cylinders was in Closed Loop and running an AFR of 13.65:1 and the other was Open Loop and running and AFR of 11.4:1, hugely richer.

He persevered though and got out for about 10 minutes of mismatched torture before he reconnected cylinder two's O2 sensor.

The chart below shows about 6 minutes of that ride. It is remarkable. If you look closely, you can see that cylinder two's Open Loop fueling starts to converge towards Cylinder one's Closed Loop fueling. How is that happening? I can't be 100% certain without more tests but it seems pretty clear that the BMSK is using data from cylinder one's Closed Loop to estimate the fueling needed by cylinder 2. Wow!

A more important thing to note is the enormous variation in fueling when there is no O2 sensor. Cylinder one's fueling is tight to 13.65:1 whereas cylinder two's fueling varies grossly between 11.4 and 13.65. I saw this exact behavior on the R1150's Motronic and expect it would be the same on R1100s (except when an Open Loop coding plug was used). This certainly appears to be BMW/Bosch's Limp Home fueling strategy--significantly vary the mixture and hope that the catalytic converter gathers some oxygen during the lean peaks so it can function at times.

Running one cylinder with O2 and one without turned out to be a great way to show what happens when you run BMW motorcycles in Open Loop. There is a huge takeaway here: If you disconnect the O2 sensors and add a Power Commander V, you will run on the Limp Home fueling pattern and lose all the features that I've shown in these first three posts.

On the 1100s and 1150s, Power Commander has a Wideband O2 sensor so the behavior is different but as I will explain in a few days, not really optimal. (LGW loaned my a PC III USB with Wideband and I've made some tests against the LC-1.)

bmsko24.jpg

roger 04 rt

Part 4 of 4

R1200GSA Fully Adapted Demonstration Ride

On his way home from HelnBack, after about 20-30 hours of riding, Terry logged his AFRs for several hours. Below is about 1 1/2 minutes of one of the segments so you can see the degree to which the BMSK has adapted the AFRs of his two cylinders to be equal. They are nearly carbon copies of one another. I continue to be amazed by how well the BMSK manages the motorcycle.

While the chart pretty much speaks for itself, here are some notes:

--The tall peaks are Overrun Fuel Cutoff during deceleration. Note how well and how quickly the BMSK gets the engine back to its target AFR--13.65:1 in Terry's case using the LC-1s.

--The acceleration AFR dips which varied prior to adaptation in the post 2 of this series are very uniform. Even during acclereation, the AFRs track. The richest mixtures are about 11.8:1 (richer than a stock bike because of Adaptation to his 13.65 Closed Loop target).

--About the leanest the BMSK puts the mixture is about 15:1 during normal deceleration (in other words, not Overrun Cutoff). This would approach 16:1 on a stock bike as its target Closed Loop would be leaner. Also keep in mind that nowhere in the hours of logs Terry sent was there a leaner than target fueling during cruise or acceleration. If during Dyno runs, you see grossly lean AFRs recorded it is most likely due to the Dyno's Wideband AFR gauge in the tailpipe.

So that's it, probably too much detail but I hope that we all know more about how the BMW ECUs work. A big thank you from me to Terry for accumulating this data. Nice work!

RB

bmsko25.jpg

roger 04 rt

Last weekend a package arrived from a member of this forum who has decided to install the Innovate Motorsports MTX-L on his 2003 R1150RT. The MTX-L is an LC-1 and water-resistant gauge in a single package. It should perform just like the LC-1.

Inside the package was a Power Commander III USB with Wideband O2 sensor that was being replaced by the MTX-L. I've been eager to test the PC III for a while since on paper it seemed like a plug & play option for mixture richening. After running it for three days, it is an option, but I wasn't impressed.

Here are my notes:

1) The Closed loop lambda error of its Wideband was large. To get a closed loop of 13.8 you needed to program 14.4. Its programming was 14.2 when it arrived here which means it was actually at about 13.6. This is consistent with the carbon on the sensor when it arrived. I spoke to tech support at Dynojet about this. They said the unit self calibrated but clearly it didn't. To me, 0.3 afr would be the largest acceptable error, it was off by 0.8 afr.

2) The PC III BMW fuel table is a unique product. Unlike any other PC III it has Closed Loop and Open Loop fuel table cells. The Cells in the Closed Loop area are disabled. This leads to the complex problem that the Motronic through adaptation will add to open loop what it adds to closed loop. That is not documented. It means before deciding what values to add to the Open Loop cells you must wait for the Motronic to finish adapting. Of course there's no way to know when that happens.

It would be better if all cells in the fuel table were programmable. Then if you were moving afr 6% plus 4% for E10, you would enter +10 into the closed loops cells and adaptation would be minimal. The way it works you could have an invisible 10% added to Open Loop through adaptation and then be adding fuel on top of that! It is as confusing as it sounds.

The Closed Loop area defined by the PC and the Motronic are likely different. I communicated with PC tech support about this and they acknowledged it. As long as the PC area is bigger than the Motronic area it's not much of a problem but I couldn't confirm that.

3) The software is unique, has no upgrades, support or documentation. Here is what PC said, "You are correct, in that there is not an available firmware update for your type of Power Commander. It is a unique unit, and unlike all of the other standard Power Commander 3 usb units. It also is not compatible with any of the accessories like LCD, Quickshifter, etc."

4) It is truly plug and play and only took me 10 minutes to install since I have a second O2 bung and since my O2 connector was relocated so that it's not under the fuel tank. That said, you double the number of connectors for the TPS and each FI and need to take a lot of care dressing them so they don't interfere with the throttle linkage.

5) There is no AFR datalogging software as with the LC-1.

I was excited about the possibilities of the PC III for BMW with Wideband O2 but came away feeling that it is really two separate products that aren't well integrated or supported.

RB

Edited by roger 04 rt
roger 04 rt

On another site I made some comments about availability for R1150s with OEM connectors and other motorcycles. Here are my comments.

Just a follow up to my post on on Roger's test device. After having to uninstall the test unit :cry I did a 100 mile day ride, two up. The difference was really noticeable. Even with a really good TB sync using a Harmonizer across multiple RPMs, I had noticeable surging after the uninstall. Low RPM roll-on was significantly reduced as well. I think the uninstall made the differences more noticeable, as the Motronic gets reset, and unlike with the install, there is no adaptation going on, as it's back to base line.

I will be buying one! I heartily recommend every 1150 owner get one, along with an IAT shifting device such as the IICE Air or Booster Plug.

Thanks Eric, glad to hear. I've sent you production unit one just yesterday. No reason to live with a stock bike much longer. These BMWs really respond to just a bit more fuel.

That's where I'm leaning right now....I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and see what the final cost is - I sent an email to Nightrider.com since they have a waitlist email on the site.

Steve@nightrider won't list these on his site until the volumes build so what I've agreed to do so that this gets going: I've purchased four dozen sets of OEM connectors and will place a series of bulk orders. Then I'll find a way to distribute and let everyone know soon. There will probably be a page in the advrider.com vendors section. I will have an announcement any day soon.

After that we will also list a generic cable while we test and shore up supplies for R1200s, F800s and R1100s. The generic cable would allow someone to add it to their existing O2 sensor, avoiding the wait for OEM connector availability. It will be a cut and crimp operation.

Edited by roger 04 rt
  • 2 weeks later...
roger 04 rt

Here's an update of where things stand with the Narrowband Shift device.

1) A dozen first production run units and cables for R1150 (Motronic MA 2.4) will be ready for shipment sometime during the coming week. Many of those have been spoken for by beta-riders, etc. More on this during the week.

2) We'll have a couple generic cables that I'll add BMS-K (R1200, F800) connectors to for further beta testing of these models. I don't expect any surprises. (See BMSK Proto Below)

3) Connector supply for OEM parts seems to be progressing in the past week.

4) Since the R1150 series is ready to ship, I've converted Proto 2 from 1150 to BMS-K and will beta test this on an F800GS. Because I have a reference LC-1 installation on an F800S I'm expecting this beta test to go well.

We've got several R1200/F800 O2 sensors and I've been installing them on my R1150, with a Proto modified to have an R1200/F800 connector on the O2 side and R1150 connector on the MA 2.4 side. It ran just as well as the R1100, R1150 single-spark and R1150 dual-spark. A couple user beta tests and then it should be good to go.

Here is a photo of the BMS-K beta unit that will ship out for beta riding for a couple weeks.

RB

r1200proto1.jpg

roger 04 rt

The F800GS beta unit is an important step in the BMW-AF-XIED® product testing since the F800 uses a BMSK controller. The installation took place and was successfully test ridden earlier this week. This is a pretty good indication that the R1200 beta will go smoothly.

Here is a link to the early beta report: BMW-AF-XIED Beta on F800GS (photos included).

roger 04 rt

It's official now, Nightrider.com has gone into production on the BMW-AF-XIED with an R1150/Motronic MA 2.4 harness, and a you-do-it Universal Harness. Harnesses for R1100s, R1200s and F800s are in development and beta testing.

As those who have been following the thread know, this device richens the Closed Loop mixture by shifting the stock narrowband sensor's output signal using digital signal processing technology.

I'm sure there will be a formal announcement soon, and I expect to see a prominent BMW parts/accessories/add-ons retailer join the distribution channel.

Nightrider ran a small production lot last week and has just kicked off a larger run. Here's a photo of some units I received today and a diagram of how elegantly the BMW-AF-XIED fits into the Motronic system.

BMWAFXIEDproduction.jpg

motronicxied.jpg

Edited by roger 04 rt
roger 04 rt

In addition to the news that Nightrider.com has completed its first production,

BeemerBoneyard.com, a well-known supplier on new and used BMW parts, has joined the BMW-AF-XIED marketing effort. I have heard they will have units ready for sale by July 22.

RB

It's official now, Nightrider.com has gone into production on the BMW-AF-XIED with an R1150/Motronic MA 2.4 harness, and a you-do-it Universal Harness. Harnesses for R1100s, R1200s and F800s are in development and beta testing.

As those who have been following the thread know, this device richens the Closed Loop mixture by shifting the stock narrowband sensor's output signal using digital signal processing technology.

I'm sure there will be a formal announcement soon, and I expect to see a prominent BMW parts/accessories/add-ons retailer join the distribution channel.

Nightrider ran a small production lot last week and has just kicked off a larger run. Here's a photo of some units I received today and a diagram of how elegantly the BMW-AF-XIED fits into the Motronic system.

BMWAFXIEDproduction.jpg

roger 04 rt

Beemer Boneyand will be setting up a Vendor thread on the ADVrider site, for support and Q&A, soon.

In the meantime, I thought I'd report on the box of devices and cables that I received from Nightrider.com yesterday.

Given the trusting soul that I am, I unpacked and connected all the BMW-AF-XIEDs that they shipped to me, and the R1150 harnesses too. I ran everyone on my bike after pulling the plastic. Then I connected my GS-911 and LC-1 and datalogged them.

Everyone was spot-on. Great job Steve at Nightrider.com!

roger 04 rt

A couple early installs of the first production lot BMW-AF-XIED shipped by nightrider.com.

2002 R1150GS

2000 R1150GS

I have a couple with universal cables that could easily be spliced to an R1100 O2 sensor. Anyone interested, please PM me.

• 3 weeks later...
roger 04 rt

I heard from Nightrider and Beemer Boneyard that another batch of Controllers and R1150 cables will be available soon. R1200 cables are now in the design/check pipeline and should be available soon.

R1100 connectors are a little further behind but a Universal Cable is offered. Below is a picture of how 3 of the 5 wires in the harness get connected to a stock O2 sensor in the absence of OEM Cables.

It's pretty easy really. Four inches from the O2 Sensor Connector, cut the black wire crimp splice to each end of the black and tap connect to one of the white wires. One cut, three connections.

The BMW-AF-XIED has a stock mode so you can return to stock without touching the cable.

R1100%20Universal%20Cable.jpg

mikefigielski

Looks like we should have our first shipment of controllers and 1150 harnesses and universal harnesses around August 15th.

Mike

roger 04 rt

Here's an idea of how gas mileage is working out at lambda 0.94 (6% rich AFR). Put 143 miles on my bike the other day. Here are the stats.

147 miles odometer, 143 miles (google maps) (odometer error 3%)

90 miles highway (60-75 mph) est. 68 mph average

53 miles local/stop&go, speed less than 50 mph

Top case and two side cases, windshield full up

Air Temp 75F

2.877 gallons between fills (error allowance +0.1 gallons), 143.2 miles,

average 143.2/2.877 = 49.8 mpg (with error allowance 143.2/2.977=48.1 mpg)

Next Up: A test run of lambda 1.08 (AFR 15.9:1) 8% leaner than stock

Edited by roger 04 rt
roger 04 rt

Running the Oilhead Very Lean

The Innovate Motorsports LC-1 has two analog channels. One is usually used to simulate a Narrowband O2 output. The other analog channel is usually set to drive an AFR gauge, however it is possible to program it to simulate a Narrowband O2 output as well.

With that in mind Analog 1 to lambda = 0.93 (7% rich, 13.65:1 AFR) and Analog 2 to lambda = 1.08 (8% lean, 15.9:1 AFR). By means of a selector switch you can choose which mixture the Motronic is using, even while running down the road.

You can see in the chart below how easily the Motronic moves from Closed Loop at 7% rich to Closed Loop at 8% lean, and also how well it holds Closed Loop at either setting. Also on the chart is a reference line at 14.7:1 which represents the stock oxygen sensor setting.

duallambda.jpg

I had a chance today to make a 50 mile run with Closed Loop at the very lean setting of lambda = 1.08. Some observations:

--The Motronic easily adjusts to 1.08. This wasn't a very long test but under riding conditions over the 50 miles the bike seemed to be running normally, but with, for lack of a better phrase, a more anemic feeling.

--In cruise mode at speeds up to 60 MPH (top speed I could run for any distance on the roadway), there was no misfiring and no pinging. In fact I tried to make it ping with some uphill roll-ons and couldn't. The engine didn't seem to run any hotter than usual.

--Since my BBSs were set to idle at 13.65:1, I had to keep the fast idle lever up to idle at 1100 RPM. With the leaner mixture it takes more air to idle at a given speed.

--The engine performed "okay" but it took more throttle to start off than in the richer setting, the bike stalled as I let out the clutch to leave the driveway. Roll-on throttle while cruising, led to a very slight hesitation before acceleration

--At low speeds, throttle input exhibited some jerkiness during transitions from acceleration to deceleration that aren't there at all at lambda 0.93. The "hop" that can occur when the bike comes out of Overrun Fuel Cutoff was pronounced.

--The natural up-shifting point seemed about 1000 RPM higher than I grown accustomed to with richer than stock mixtures. It really did not want to be upshifted until 4000-5000 RPM. It just wasn't settled and ready to be shifted much earlier.

--Was there any surging? Yes, but only a bit and no more than I remember with a stock O2 sensor. Mostly light throttle in the range of 3000 to 4000 RPM.

--The course was 5 miles long with short stops and starts during course reversal. The 53.5 miles on odometer (51.9 corrected) was ridden mostly at speeds between 45 and 55 mph but top speeds were 65-70. Fuel consumed was 1.05 gallons +/- 5% which is about 49 mpg +/- 2 mpg.

Summary

In effect, this test was a side by side comparison of a richer fueled R1150RT and a leaner fueled bike. There's not question which is the more satisfying motorcycle to ride, the richer mixture by far.

Although the Motronic seems very flexible and able to run rich or lean of the stock setting with modified Lambda input, there is a big difference in the feeling of the engine. Richer mixtures (plus 4-6%) lead to a much smoother, slightly more powerful engine, especially below 4000 RPM, that "asks" to be shifted about 1000 RPM lower than a leaner one.

Leaner mixtures (minus 0-8%) lead to a more anemic feeling and seem to amplify whatever bad manners the engine exhibits (OFC hop, surge, roughness, hesitation). Overall it was an unpleasant ride.

By the end of the 50 mile test I was very happy to flip the switch back to lambda 0.94 where it's going to stay for the rest of the summer.

RB

Tank Vent Effect on AFR

Yesterday I had a chance to see what the effect of opening the tank vent was on mixture leanness.

To measure that I pulled the vent hose from the throttle body side of the solenoid and then blocked and unblocked it with my finger while the bike was idling, where it seems the effect should be greatest due to high intake manifold vacuum. I used the graphical output of the LC-1 to make the measurement.

The effect was pretty simple so I'll describe it and not bother with a chart.

During Closed Loop operation, opening the Motronic adapts to the opening and closing (which it knows nothing about since I'm using my finger) so quickly that there is no visible effect on AFR.

During Open Loop operation, while the bike was warming up, there was roughly a 0.6 AFR change. With the hose capped I measured 12.8:1 and then when opened, 13.4:1. I did this repeatedly and the (approx.) 4% change in idle AFR, back and forth as I opened and closed the hose inlet was very repeatable.

My reason for making the measurement was to see what effect I could have on the mixture during startup by opening the vent. Now I know. ;)

RB

Edited by roger 04 rt

For about the last month, even though my bike has been running great, I've noticed that my bike was taking progressively a little longer to start the first start of the day. For the past week it ran rough for 5-10 seconds after starting.

Having both an LC-1 and GS-911, I can measure all the sensors and the exhaust AFR, moment by moment, from before cranking and through start-up. So I hitched up the computer and recorded every start for several days. Maybe I got too much data but it showed that the exhaust was lean and also that the spark advance was staying at ZERO degrees for 7-10 seconds until the engine was running smoothly. So the leanness indicated to me that I might have a fueling problem and the spark advance left me thinking that maybe my HES was compromised.

The detail of the step by step tries to eliminate things isn't so interesting but by yesterday I was using the GS-911 in Hall Sensor Test Mode to see if the sensors were working and I was using the rear wheel with the transmission in 6th to spin the crank. I couldn't move the crankshaft smoothly enough with the plugs in so I decided to pull both primary plugs (stick coils in my 2004) something I last did about 6 weeks ago. It was then that I realized the left stick coil was 1/8"-3/16" higher-than-fully-seated. I ran all my tests and put things back together, making sure to fully seat the stick coils.

This morning, I took another data set and started the bike. It started right up as usual. The LC-1 indicates a little lean for about 7 seconds, but the spark advance (which is ZERO degrees during cranking) now goes to 5-7 degrees as soon (within one second) as the bike starts.

The fact that the Motronic holds the spark advance at zero degrees until the engine is running smoothly says that it has software that can detect time differentials between the HES sensors and conclude that the engine is misfiring or not running properly, a capability that I've read about for other ECUs.

When I ran the hall sensor test per the GS-911 instructions, using the rear wheel to turn the engine, which leads to some unevenness of the speed of turning the engine. I did see each sensor change state but not in a 1 2 1 2 1 2 sequence like I expected. It was more like 1 2 1 1 1 2 2 1 2 etc. I'm not sure whether this is expected or may be indicating some crosstalk between the sensors. I'll look into that more later.

LC-1 Installed on R1100RT

A friend from Vancouver who goes by the name Happy Wanderer on a couple other sites agreed to be a beta tester for the BMW-AF-XIED on his R1100RT: R1100RT XIED Beta Report. The success of that inspired him to go whole-hog and install the Innovate Motorsports LC-1. GS Addict helped him with the installation and the workmanship is top notch.

r1100rtlc1install.jpg

The significance of this to all of us is that we will, as Happy Wanderer's time allows, start to get the first clear picture of how the R1100 makes its fueling decisions. Before going into detail, from the several test rides that HW has made to date, it's looking pretty clear that the R1100 and R1150 have very similar fueling algorithms. At first glance, it is difficult to tell the difference. Below is the first test ride made with the LC-1 set at Lambda 0.96 (4% richer or about 14.1:1). If I didn't know better, I'd say this data was taken from my R1150 it is that similar.

R1100firstafr.jpg

After riding for a few days at Lambda 0.96, HW increased the Closed Loop enrichment target by 2% to lambda 0.94 (6% total enrichment) and set up and took data from a cold-start to test ride on the road, that chart is below. A summary of what I can see from this and other charts he sent:

--Cold Start Enrichment: The R1100 has a similar start-up and cold start enrichment sequence, conducted as an Open Loop process. A difference to the R1150RT is that the R1100 seems to run a fixed time sequence from cold start where the R1150 shortens the time to Closed Loop, based on engine temperature, probably to reduce emissions. The amount of cold start enrichment seems the same as the R1150--10-15%.

--Adaptation Values: Based on several sequences HW sent me, and his reports, it is very clear that the Motronic MA 2.2 has learning adaptation, much like the R1150 and R1200. I can't say that the process is exactly the same, just that it exists. There are many who see the Motronic ECUs as simplistic, through the course of this project, I've seen many sophisticated capabilities in all models. This should not be a surprise since Bosch/BMW had had electronic fuel injection for about 15 years when the Oilheads were introduced.

--Acceleration Enrichment: Looking at the dips below the 13.8:1 line on the chart, you can see a significant acceleration enrichment, just like the R1150 and R1200. AFRs get to nearly 12:1 with a good turn of the throttle.

--Deceleration Enleanment: Likewise you can see bumps up to 14.4 or 15:1 showing that during mild deceleration the mixture is leaned by 4-8%.

--Overrun Fuel Cutoff: Just like with the R1150 and R1200, when the throttle is closed, the Motronic on the R1100 shuts off the injectors and the mixture shoots to the top of the chart, greater than 22:1.

--Rock Steady Closed Loop Fueling: HW is running E10 fuel during this test which shows that the Motronic has adapted (the fuel is 4% leaner than pure gas) its Closed Loop fueling to 6% richer than stock fueling (10% total enrichment considering the E10) and readily gets it back to 13.8:1 after acceleration, deceleration or overrun fuel cutoff.

r1100rt13.8cold.jpg

Thanks HW for the big effort you and GSA made to get this installed. I know as time allows you intend to take data with the Coding Plug out. When you do, the last of the Motronic's secrets will be exposed and we'll all know once and for all just what the R1100s and Motronic MA 2.2s do when the Coding Plug is removed.

Great work!

mikefigielski

Hi Guys,

Took a little longer than I had hoped but we just received our first shipment of 24 of the BMW-AF-Xied units for the R1150 series bikes. You can see and/or order them here: http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafxied1150.html

Stay tuned for R1100 and R1200 plug and play versions as soon as we can get the connectors delivered. Thanks!

Mike

PS,

These work unbelievably well. Took off the Power Commander I had installed on my bike for one of these and I won't be going back to the PC! It is that good!

Hi Guys,

Took a little longer than I had hoped but we just received our first shipment of 24 of the BMW-AF-Xied units for the R1150 series bikes. You can see and/or order them here: http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafxied1150.html

Stay tuned for R1100 and R1200 plug and play versions as soon as we can get the connectors delivered. Thanks!

Mike

PS,

These work unbelievably well. Took off the Power Commander I had installed on my bike for one of these and I won't be going back to the PC! It is that good!

Mike,

Glad to here you're getting your first shipment and cables.

I am also impressed that you like it better than the PC III w/Wideband.

It is not well known that the main benefit of the PC III is the Wideband sensor, which Dynojet sets to 13.8:1. The PC III doesn't calibrate the Wideband so it can become inaccurate. Also since the 1150 adapts to the 13.8 setting it adds 6% everywhere through adaptation. So there is an invisible 6% in every cell.

That hidden 6% is only there after you ride for a while and the Motronic builds up some Adaptive Values and not typically when the dyno tuner does their thing. So it is easy to end up with too much fuel. Going further, the BMW fuel table has plenty of fuel already in the high power areas where tuners typically add fuel. So the typical PC Dyno tune adds fuel to an already rich area, and the the adaptive values add more.

Oddly the best place to add fuel on an Oilhead may be the 0%, 2%, and 5% columns above 2000 rpm. That is where the Oilhead is lean. But tuners never seem to add it there even though that is a spot that leads to surging.

Anyway, as you found out the BMW-AF-XIED gives you closed loop enrichment with the more robust, stock O2 sensor and is a one connector install. Simpler and smaller than the PC III w/Wideband, no computer programming. One potentiometer to set, usually at setting 7 or 8 on the 1150 and 1200.

RB

All right, I'll belly up to the bar and order one. Actually I just did that a couple of minutes ago.

I've been thinking more and more about upgrading to a wet-head once it becomes available.

Hopefully this will make my R1150RT so much better that I will forget about the new bike and stick with this one.

Let's see, that could save me about $15,000 dollars! I don't think selling my '02 with over 120,000 miles is going to net me any big bucks.

Stan

All right, I'll belly up to the bar and order one. Actually I just did that a couple of minutes ago.

I've been thinking more and more about upgrading to a wet-head once it becomes available.

Hopefully this will make my R1150RT so much better that I will forget about the new bike and stick with this one.

Let's see, that could save me about $15,000 dollars! I don't think selling my '02 with over 120,000 miles is going to net me any big bucks.

Stan

Stan,

Funny you should mention the GSW OR RTW. Mike at Beemer boneyard had a customer who wanted to know if the R1200 cable would fit the GSW. Looks like it will but what better excuse for me to test drive one.

It is a nice bike, all the latest & greatest and 125 horses. However, for throttle smoothness I'll put my 04 RT with LC-1 up against it any day. And the seat was hard as a rock. ;)

R1100RT OPEN LOOP FUELING, No Coding Plug (no CO Pot)

In the spirit of a picture is worth a thousand words, here is a chart I've been hoping (and waiting) to post for a year. You can look back one page for the Close Loop charts and commentary: HERE.

r1100noplugnocopot.jpg

Michael in BC, Canada, who has installed the LC-1 on his R1100RT was kind enough to reset his Motronic, remove his BoosterPlug, remove the Yellow Coding Plug (left the O2 sensor attached), and log a couple 40 minute test runs logging AFR data with his LC-1. There is a wealth of information in this small diagram.

First, the conditions:

Temperature: 70F

Coding Plug: None

CO Pot: None

O2 Sensor: Installed & Connected (but being ignored by the Motronic)

Motronic: Reset

Fuel: Premium with 10% Ethanol (4% lean compared to gasoline)

Looking at the chart above it is very clear how the R1100RT fuels without a Coding Plug. Since the CO adjustment target, if a CO Pot were installed, is 1.5% carbon monoxide (implying a gasoline AFR of 14.0:1) we can make an educated guess about how this chart will look with the CO Pot connected and adjusted, a test that will be made soon.

Although it would be more precise if I wrote these descriptions in terms of Lambda, but most readers are familiar with gasoline AFRs, so I have put everything in those terms.

First, I've carefully looked over two charts from this test run. Although the O2 sensor is installed and connected, it is clear that with NO Coding Plug, the Motronic does not make any use of the O2 sensor. This means that No Coding Plug is a fully Open Loop fueled R1100 motorcycle. I believe that a 30-87a (beige) Coding Plug will yield the same results.

Next, the idle AFR with no CO Pot connected is a very rich 12.4:1, were this motorcycle running pure gas at the time of the test the AFR logged would have been 11.8:1. At start-up on a 70F, the fueling is about 5% richer than that for several minutes while the motor warms up. Although this bike runs well with no CO Pot, it would be better to have it. An idle AFR of 13.8 to 14.0 would be fine.

Next, take a look at points 3 & 4 on the chart. Point three is the AFR while cruising at 40 mph and point four is while cruising at 65 mph, with AFRs of about 13.8:1 and 14.8:1 respectively. If this engine were running pure gas (what the fuel tables were designed for) that would mean AFRs of 13.2:1 and 14.2:1 respectively.

When the CO pot is adjusted to 1.5% CO, I expect those cruise AFRs with pure gas to be 14.0 and 14.4 respectively, effectively compressing the AFR spread. From this data one could conclude that the Oilheads were designed by BMW to cruise with an AFR in this range. This is well supported by the results several of us have seen with LC-1s and BMW-AF-XIEDs on our R1150s.

Looking closely at the AFR spreads between idle, 40 mph cruise and 65 mph cruise it isn't too hard to infer what the Motronic does with the CO Pot signal: it adds or subtracts an amount of time to the Injection Time calculation. In this way, it has a lot of effect at times when the Injection Pulse Times are short (like at idle and light cruise) and much less effect when Injection Pulse Times are long (like during acceleration and high-speed cruise).

In the No Coding Plug configuration, the Motronic still displays the same array of acceleration and deceleration enrichments and enleanments, still shows Overrun Fuel Cutoff and still shows a Warm Up enrichment sequence.

There's a lot to see and think about in this chart and sometime soon we'll have one run under the same conditions but with a CO Pot installed and adjusted. In the meantime, this points the way to a surge-free, best running Boxer Motor (R1100, R1150 and even R1200). Fuel it at 14:1, one way or another.

RB

Thanks for the excellent analysis of the data I sent you Roger. Have to admit I was confused at what I was looking at and for a while was getting convinced that the highway cruise section of my test ride (part 4 in the graph) was actually closed loop. After reading your report I now know it's just the ECU using the fuel map to get to it's prime directive; 14.7:1 AFR.

Rain and possible thunderstorms were forecast up here today but reality is things look pretty good outside at the moment. I am really curious to see what is going to transpire when I re-connect my CO trim pot so I think I'll get started on the next test! :dance

Installing and testing the Innovate Motorsports LC-1 wideband O2 sensor is really an eye opener. Over the past couple of years I and many others have chased down all sorts of suggestions on how to get these big twins to quit surging, end snatchy throttle syndrome and run like a big twin should. Theories and myths abound and I've tried most of them going back to Rob Lentini's work and documentation on up to the Booster Plug with a host of other things in between. The list is too long to get into here all over again. I had incremental successes but no lasting solution. Till now.

The LC-1 and the more user friendly plug and play solution the AF-XIED actually work unlike anything else I've done to date which only chipped away at symptoms. Best of all is having actual data from real on the bike testing and being able to log exactly what is happening in real time.

If we can debunk some myths and confirm some information about R259 engine fueling along the way I'm a happy camper. errrr wanderer. :thumb

You mention about the ECU using its map to get to the prime directive if 14.7, and what is clear from the data is that the Motronic Open Lopp fuel maps of NO CODING PLUG or BEIGE (30-87a) have no directive regarding 14.7:1 because these maps weren't designed to keep a catalytic converter happy!

I believe that the R1100RT no coding plug map, with stock intake tubes and pure gasoline and the CO Pot adjusted to 1.5%, were BMWs design for a great running boxer. So I'm going to go over paragraph 4 which I've pasted below some more.

The data as present showed 13.8:1 for 40 mph cruise and 14.8 for 65 mph. Let me adjust those numbers for two conditions: ethanol and the misadjusted CO pot. E10 is 4% leaner than gasoline so if you were running pure gas the 40 mph cruise AFR would have shown 13.2:1 and the 65 mph cruise 14.2:1. That is the boxer design cruise range, except we have to make a correction for the unadjusted CO Pot.

At idle, injection pulses are 2.1 mS, but 1 mS is dead time so the actual on-time is about 1.1mS. That is supposed to create an AFR of 14.0:1 at idle (1.5% CO). You now idle at 12.4:1 so your bike is idling 14% richer than the 14.0 spec. That mean the injection time is 0.14 mS too long due to CO not yet adjusted. Taking that 0.14 mS and subtracting it from the 40 mpg gasoline measures AFR of 13.2:1 would bring the 40 mph AFR to 14.1:1, likewise doing the same to 65 mph cruise would move about 14.4.

With these adjustments, it strongly appears to me that BMW designed the boxer engine to run with an AFR between 14.0:1 and 14.4:1 in the cruising range and 12.8:1 when accelerating aggressively. (14.7 is only to make the catalytic converter happy. It must have been a sad day at BMW.)

The good news is that fueling the Boxer at 13.8 to 14.1 can be achieved easily now on the R1000, R1150 and R1200 through Closed Loop Lambda control.

Part 1 of 2

Michael has been at it again. He got out yesterday for another R1100RT test ride. He kept the bike in the No Coding Plug, Open Loop configuration. He now has a CO Pot installed and on this test ride he adjusted it to the BMW specified 1.5% CO. Looking at the first chart below, you can see that the idle AFR before adjustment (point 1) was in the vicinity of 12:1. At this point the motorcycle was warm and he adjusted the AFR, using the LC-1, to 14:1 (point 2) an AFR of 14:1 equates to a Carbon Monoxide level of 1.5% (BMW spec is 1.5% +/- 0.5% for Euro bikes).

Everything to the right of the point where the CO was adjusted is representative of how BMW designed the R1100RT to run when it didn't have to meet the needs of a catalytic converter. The only difference is that Micheal is running E10 fuel so the whole curve is about 4% leaner than it will be when he runs pure gas--a test he will make later. The important thing to see is the average cruise fueling the top marker line at 14.6:1 cruising is just above and below that level.

It seems clear to me that the BMW Boxer motorcycles were designed to run with a cruise afr of about 14:1. When you subtract the 0.6 AFR leanness of E10 fuel, you can correctly infer the BMW fueling target for the R1100RT, when they didn't have to meet the EPA conditions of the catalytic converter, were an AFR of about 14.0:1 (14.6 seen minus 0.6 AFR for E10 fuel).

Test Conditions

No Coding Plug

CO Pot (adjusted during test ride)

O2 Sensor installed and connected (but being ignored by Motronic)

(The chart below is a moment by moment recording of AFR (Air to Fuel Ratio) over the course of about an hour, during a test ride.)

r1100rtCOadjusted14.0.jpg

Edited by roger 04 rt

Part 2 of 2

To wrap up the basic R1100RT fueling, I'm adding three histogram plots from three separate hour-long rides. What a histogram chart shows is how many occurances there were on the test ride of each AFR level. So a tall bar means that the motorcycle was at that AFR level, many times during the hour. A small bar means it was at that AFR less times.

If you look at the chart below, you can see the AFR distribution of three different fueling styles. Remember, the Open Loop charts are 4% lean because the bike is being fueled with E10 fuel.

Looking at the Closed Loop chart where the target AFR has been set to 13.8:1, you can see that the fueling is tightly around 13.8:1. (If this were a stock bike the chart would look very similar but the center of the tall bars would be 6% leaner at 14.7:1)

Looking at the Open Loop chart with no CO Pot adjusted. You see several peaks. The idle peaks are at about 12:1, the cruise peak is at about 14.4:1.

After adjusting the CO Pot to BMW's spec of 1.5% CO you see the cruise peaks in the same 14.4:1 region but the idle spikes at 12:1 are now gone. To me this looks like a better fueling distribution than No CO Pot.

Lastly, and it's not shown, you could move the Open Loop fueling distributions to the left (richer) by running a BoosterPlug or by running pure gasoline with no ethanol.

r1100rtafrcomparison.jpg

PM I received. 2004 R1150RT

Hi Roger

From memory the last UPS delivery I had was around $35.00 and there was no delay as they have their own UK hub and VAT was paid on the door with no additional charges.

I am using the pink CCP.

As suggested I have just come in from a short run, around 15 miles, on setting 8. I am surprised that it made such a noticeable difference over the 7 setting. It seemed that I needed to open the throttle less for the same pickup and that the bike was keen to accelerate with the smoothness further improved. Cruising in 6th at around 55-60MPH was very comfortable and nipping past traffic didn't need a down change. It maybe my imagination but I seem to have more engine braking and the transition from off to on throttle is seamless. I have no surging anywhere.

When I gave it some beans the machine gathered speed at an almost alarming rate whereas before fitting the XIED it was a bit flat which was particularly noticeable when overtaking.

It will be interesting to see how the fuel consumption is affected but from your posts it looks like it could be more or less neutral depending on my right hand! I just need to get more miles with it which I hope to do in the next couple of weeks.

All in all I am very pleased with the unit. Well done to you all.

Cheers

N...

Edited by roger 04 rt

As a not-particularly technical person, I have to say I only understand some of this thread. I had a question regarding Techlusion/Powercommanders and my 2001 R1150RT.

Basically, I'm using my bike for a LOT of motorway/highway mileage. Very little else. It's perfect for that sort of thing after all. However, I've noticed that a tank gets very variable mileage depending on various riding styles and conditions. I know, right.. but I mean A LOT of variance. I know the pumps at some gas stations are a little more sensitive than others at stopping when they think the tank is full, but without using too much accurate/scientific data on how much was in the tank other than "it's filled as much as it will accept from the pump", I've had as little as 140miles out of the tank and as much as 215.

Would a power commander (and probably a good service) help make this more predictable. I've heard different maps can provide more power or greater fuel economy etc. At the moment, with my gas bill for the bike running at £300 or so per month, I'm all about the fuel economy, even at the cost of some power. All advice gratefully received.

Hello Mr_Fube,

I doubt a Power Commander would do you much good in regards to your fuel usage variation. I use the wideband sensor with LC-1 on my '04 R1150 for reasons other than fuel economy. Now, I have noticed that the fuel economy of my 1150 does vary greatly anywhere from about 41 to 53 mpg. I think the wide variation in mpg is mostly caused by the aerodynamics or lack of same of the motorcycle itself and therefore not much is to be done about it. Cross winds and, worse yet, head winds seem to be the big variable affecting fuel economy. I always use premium (91 octane) non ethanol fuel and keep my motorcycle in good tune. Recently had the fuel injectors cleaned and balance tested.

Cheers

Mr. Fube, are you quoting mileage in Imperial gallons?

If so, you definitely need to get someone knowledgeable looking at your bike!!

I regularly get 41/42 mpUSg two-up and riding quite briskly and have got 45/50 being sensibly boring :) !

Edited by philbytx

Hi Mr Fube

Your post seems a little vague.

You are in control of filling the tank, and you need to get some reliable way of knowing how full you rill your tank.

Why not every time put the bike on the centre stand and carefully fill it until the fuel just touches the bottom of the filler neck. I realise that you will be under filling it, but at least you will be able to get repeatability for some fuel consumption checks.

You say you do a lot of Motorway work, what sort of average speed do you ride at?

I find that I am in the 50mpg range at speeds up to about 75mph, but after that it goes down hill rapidly.

Typically over 70000 miles my bike has averaged over 52 uk mpg.

Take things one step at a time. you won't find a magic bullet.

A really good service with filter and plug change along with valves and TB balance and at least you will have a datum to work from.

Andy

Roger

Just installed my BMW-AF-Xied on my R1150RT and of course I have a question for you.

On turning on the ignition it does the initial single 3 LED blink. But it never blinks the setting as described in the manual. I tried this with the dial turned full cw and ccw. No joy. In also tried it after reseating the white connector but not the two BMW ones. I have verified that the ground connection is good.

Does the bike need to be running? I currently still have the fuel tank off as I have some other work to do before I put it back.

Stan

Edited by Stan Walker

Aha!

Looking at a schematic it would seem you get power from the heater wire and the heater is only energized if the fuel pump relay is picked.

So, it seems that this blink count will only happen if the engine is running on the R1150RT. I could kludge something up, but doesn't seem worth the effort just to see it blink.

Could I be so bold as to suggest that a note in the manual could clarify this?

Stan

Aha!

Looking at a schematic it would seem you get power from the heater wire and the heater is only energized if the fuel pump relay is picked.

So, it seems that this blink count will only happen if the engine is running on the R1150RT. I could kludge something up, but doesn't seem worth the effort just to see it blink.

Could I be so bold as to suggest that a note in the manual could clarify this?

Stan

Stan. Good idea for the note. As soon as the engine fires, count the yellow flashes.

If you have good eyes or use a magnifying glass you can see an arrow pointer on the adjuster, and hash marks that run from about 7 to 5 on a clock face. Noon is setting 6, and 11am is setting 7. Start with 7 and later try 8.

RB

As soon as the engine fires, count the yellow flashes

Thanks Roger.

That's going to be awhile. I've already drained the tank in preparation for replacing the fuel lines, the tank is sitting on the floor. I'm also replacing all the brake lines with Spiegler braided brake lines while the tank is off.

I'm not in a hurry, don't currently have any long trips planned, good thing, I need to replace my tires and front brake pads too. Not to mention the fork seals......

I work at this a little bit every day.

Stan

As soon as the engine fires, count the yellow flashes

Seven little yellow blinks. Bike started and idled OK.

Didn't ride it, still waiting for fork parts to arrive (Thursday). Also need to mount new tires (Metzeler Z8 pair already here).

Stan

Just got word that we'll be selling the complete R1200 AF-XiED package for $379.95!! Should have units available hopefully late next week or the week of the 23rd at the latest. When we get them they will be posted here:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafo2sema.html .

We have just listed an R1100 version (you'll find them at the link above too) that has a universal tap in harness. This is because it may be as long as 6 months before we will have a plug and play harness available for the R1100. It is a simple tie in. Just 2 crimp connections and one tap connection. Eventually we'll have Posi Locks and Posi taps included but for now customers will have to source their own connectors. Soldering is not an option. This was covered in a previous post somewhere and too long of an explanation to put here. We are getting there :D

Thanks!

Mike