IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Bud, you can't dry clean Gortex fabric, the chemical kills the Gortex.

Finished washing and waterproofing suit. Hanging in garage, drying in preparation for Cedar Key.

What did you use for waterproofing? I need to re-do a pair of goretex pants. So far nothing coming through, but the fabric becomes saturated instead of the water beading and rolling off.

Order a bottle of Nickwax from Tellico Outfitters or Aerostitch and wash it into them. It's easy and works great.

I put a few stickers on my cases ... one for Willville Motorcycle Camp and a Klim sticker (loving my new Overland pants!).

It was a tricky procedure, getting them to align just so, but in the end I triumphed!

Did a GSA tank conversion on my bike with the help of Randy Stallings.

The mustard on ketchup scheme was never popular...

IMG_20131031_130237_779-M.jpg

Just need to mount the upper crash bars and reattach my aux lights and we're ready to roll!

IMG_20131031_164208_283-M.jpg

Did a GSA tank conversion on my bike with the help of Randy Stallings.

The mustard on ketchup scheme was never popular...

IMG_20131031_130237_779-M.jpg

Just need to mount the upper crash bars and reattach my aux lights and we're ready to roll!

IMG_20131031_164208_283-M.jpg

Now be sure to go out and run out of gas within the first month ... just like I did a month after buying my GSA! :dopeslap:
Now be sure to go out and run out of gas within the first month ... just like I did a month after buying my GSA! :dopeslap:

You too? My 07 left me on the side of I-95 last week with 70 miles still showing on THE COMPUTER! :eek:

Won't trust it again, sorta negates the purpose of having a big tank. So I'm back to 1970 and resetting the tripmeter every fillup. Glad I kept the 1150. :grin:

You too? My 07 left me on the side of I-95 last week with 70 miles still showing on THE COMPUTER! :eek:

Won't trust it again, sorta negates the purpose of having a big tank. So I'm back to 1970 and resetting the tripmeter every fillup. Glad I kept the 1150. :grin:

This from the guy that won't use a GPS. :grin:

When I ran out I believe I had 57 remaining, and had only gone 12 miles since the low fuel lamp lit ... which according to the book says I've got a gallon remaining. I only had 4 miles further to go to hit the gas station I was planning to stop at. :rofl:

Finished the 60K and annual service on the GS. Also tried the piezo lighter fix for my non working fuel strip. Success!!

No yellow triangle and 6 fuel bars showing for the first time in 18 months.

I have always done the odometer reset... I guess I'm just old skool!

Rode up to Keiths friday night. Spent today as his assistant for the 18k service on my GS. oil, trans, final drive, brake fluids, Valve adjust, TBS, new rear tire. I tried to pay attention and learn some stuff so next time I can do more work.

Discovered that I need a new fuel filler neck and O-Ring. If anyone's got one for an 04 GS PM me. Beemerboneyard is out of stock.

After adjusting the valves, I went for a short ride to warm things up and then changed the tranny and FD fluids yesterday and put the tupperware back on the blue RT, getting ready to take pics for the sale ad.

I had forgotten what a strong running bike it is.

Took my son out for a little 160 mile shakedown to make sure that the bike works properly with the GSA tank. Need to bump the preload and adjust the driving lights in the dark, but otherwise, it's spot on and I love the planted feel from the extra weight up front.

the funnel in the brake pedal is ingenious Keith!!

I said the same thing! Sometimes it pays to know those smart engineer types.

Funny. I just noticed I'm in none of these pictures so now I appear to be a complete slacker. I really did assist. Next time I'll have to delegate Keith to the camera.

Keith did that for LtlJohn... his biggest contribution was petting John's dog and offering moral support

I offered moral support and bought dinner and beer!

Froze my a$$ off riding into Boerne yesterday. I needed paper for my printer, so at 4:30 pm I jumped on the bike and ran into town. I realized that I do not have the right riding gear for winter runs. It was 50 degrees and my gloves, blue jeans, and leather jacket do not cut it for that type of riding. So time to start hunting for the winter gear. The weather is supposed to be warmer later in the week and into the weekend but I don't want to pass up days that I could be riding.

Had to deliver a loaner laptop to my niece up in Philly, so we set up to meet at Five Guys in Conshohocken PA just inside the Philly beltway. I despise I-95, so I use some backroads to get to US Route 1 and take it most of the way there. 13 miles of Interstate and I am sitting at the meeting place, 110 miles under my belt. Good burger and fries, handoff the laptop and load up.

Didn't feel like going back exactly the same way, so I hop off I-476 onto US Route 30 and head West. Somewhere around Strasburg, I decide to head South and find some nice backroads and eventually US 222, which I take to US 1, and backtrack from there. Got home a little after dusk, so I cut that close, but still a good excuse for about 240 miles.

Edited by Glenn Reed

With guidance and moral support from Matt_12GS, I replaced the slave cylinder for the clutch on the GS today.

It was a slightly scary ride home the other night when I reached for clutch and found an empty handle. It just mashed down to the grip and provided no help whatsoever. I couldn't downshift without standing on the shifter. Going up was easier. Getting into neutral was just about impossible. I was about 2 miles from home and limped along in traffic stalling the bike at each red light, then forcing it into neutral while dead, then pulling forward in 2nd since I couldn't get it into 1st. Rode the whole way home in 2nd, stalling, neutral, rinse/repeat.

Anyway, everything's replaced now and did a test ride around the neighborhood. Gearing up for a much needed longer test ride. I need to let the wind wash off this crappy week I've had. See ya'll later.

Gearing up for a much needed longer test ride. I need to let the wind wash off this crappy week I've had. See ya'll later.

Ahhhhhh.... much better now....

Trailered my RT home from the dealer, after much needed cosmetic repairs. Now all I have to do is heal and get back in motorcycle shape, before spring get's here. It feels great to have the bike back in the garage, even if I can't ride it yet.

IMAG3596.jpg

IMAG3597.jpg

I rode out to Lake City (only about 1.5 hours) last night to meet up with Terry Herschner who rides a Zero electric motorcycle all around the USA promoting the use of electric bikes. Last year he set the record for crossing the country unassisted. This year, he tried to do it with a passenger but the motor failed him after he patched the rear tire and the vibrations killed some bearings in the motor. Waiting a day to get a new motor shipped in killed the timing. He was also going to try to do a Saddlesore 1000 through AZ/TX, but a drunk driver on I-10 crashed and caused a 5 hour delay and killed those plans.

Here we are at his 2300 mile finish line at 1:30am:

CHr0oAs.jpg

Paul In Australia

Fabulous two days in the saddle. Sunday afternoon caught in hail up in the hills. Today was just beautiful along the coast. 750 Kim's over the two days. Had a ball

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the Skene P3-TS LED tail/brake light + turn signal combo last night; the aliens should have no trouble whatsoever spotting me now. Hopefully, the self-absorbed text messengers might look up from their glowing distractions occasionally as well.

I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to kill the constant flicker effect at night, though (10 quick pumps on the brake w/in 5 seconds of key-on toggles it to steady and back). Based on looking at it from my driveway for a few minutes in the dark, I could see it being more than a bit annoying to follow at night for any length of time. Otherwise, very satisfied, and I got to use my soldering gun, which always makes me happy.

Finished relocating my ADVmonster M60 lights from under the oil cooler to under the mirrors using BMR products brackets. Since the wiring was done already it ended up being a relatively easy job. You can see me now!!!

Played a bit with the Vario risers.

Also I was able to re-key my 49L top box. I struggled and cussed following the instructions found here in the forum. Like they said "once you understand how to do it it takes 10 seconds to pull the lock out" and that is what it is. Only one wafer was out of place, just filed it and voila!!!!

Edited by VoipWizard

Not today, but this past Saturday I did a day ride out to Horseshoe beach. I rode down to a friend's house to borrow his RDL seat that he's probably going to sell me. I wanted to put a couple hundred miles on the seat before buying it to make sure I liked it. That's an awesome seat. I went back to return the seat and had to ride on mine for 75 miles home. That was the worst 75 miles ever!

I've also been playing with my new SPOT device, using it to track my routes and let my family see where I'm at. It's nice to have and they feel happier knowing I'm being safe on the bike.

TdQWk4l.png

• 2 weeks later...

Jean's 696 is all back to stock, OEM shock spring, .85kg/mm fork springs, standard seat, OEM handlebar and grips. I rode it one last time last week to be sure the mirrors were adjusted correctly and new brake pads run in, about 50 miles.

New owner coming to inspect and pickup tomorrow. I have mixed emotions, both happy and sad at the same time. Happy to be moving on, changing bikes again (for me anyway) but sad to never see that little monster in my mirror again on our trips.

Jean has decided to quit riding and go 2up with me, so I we will sell the 696 and my Griso (fun bike also)!

talimena_st.jpg

3italians.jpg

two days of nice weather, two days of back to back riding. Took my daughter on her first ride yesterday for about 30 minutes, she loved it. Then rode the bike (by myself) for the first time in the dark. The ST headlight sure do work well. No issues with viability. Today rode to San Antonio to visit my (very) sick Godmother who is having kidney issues. Then rode back to the house the long way around.

Put her on the center stand... Nope, ain't fitting right, side stand she went with a couple more LBS of air in the rear tire and that be that.

I know not very exciting, but we have like three inches of fresh snow soooo.

Merry Christmas Eve all

All is good now.

Not sure if we've heard how the slippery situation turned out for ya? Bike/Bones all better?

Pat

Bones are mostly good, & a settlement was agreed upon last week, so all is good.

All is good now.

Not sure if we've heard how the slippery situation turned out for ya? Bike/Bones all better?

Pat

Bones are mostly good, & a settlement was agreed upon last week, so all is good.

:clap: Great to hear.