IGNORED

Mid Atlantic Coffee Club

Formerly known as Virginia Coffee Klatch!

The mods asked that I create a thread specific to this event now that it is established and the first meeting is set. So Please follow this post now and keep up to date with future events.

Inaugural meeting of Mid Atlantic Coffee Club:

When: November 16th, 2013 at 11am

Where: Blackstone Coffee

1113 Jefferson Davis Hwy.

Fredericksburg, Va. 22401

www.blackstonecoffee.com

This is a very informal event. Just a good time to have a cup of Joe and tell stories. We will have highly intellectual conversation about the meaning of life. <---(for those that don't know me I have a tendency to be sarcastic) So join us for some coffee and BS! See you in a couple weeks.

I'm going to try and give Don at the coffee shop a heads up on how many might be coming. Please comment if you are planning on attending. Thanks.

Let me qualify my previous statement. I'm in either way - rain or shine - hot or cold. Terri, I feel certain will be there only if it's not raining.

Blind Squirrel

Update: The Mrs. will be out of town on business travel, so I will be solo. I too will be hitting Morton's either before or after.

Maybe I should just call Jeff and ask him to put on an extra pot of coffee at Morton's. Scott and Bob- keep me posted if you are going before or after. I'll be passing Morton's on my way to and from the coffee shop...I'm sure there is something there I need to look at. That's the one downside to passing Morton's everyday, way to easy to just stop by and find something to buy.

Sorry but I'm out. :(

Long time friends just told us they are coming to DC on Friday and will be staying with us until Sunday morning.

You all have a good time - I'll certainly try to make the next one. :thumbsup:

I'm still in, but the missus is out. We've got grandkid duty (the wife will fetch while I caffeinate with you good people). I'd better find a nice toy to bring her at Morton's, though, to avoid prolonged stays in the doghouse.

Well, I'm still planning to come and believe my better half is still good to go.

Scott (Blind Squirrel),

When I head up that way, I do head up 17 initially ... but about 7.5 miles past Walter Reed Hosp (on the north side of Glouster CH) I peel off left onto 14 (Adner Rd > Buena Vista > The Trail).

When 14 "The Trail" hits Hwy360, there's several backroad options from there up and around Fort AP Hill to the south and west side. They're all more fun than US-17 and far fewer LEOs (like pretty much none).

Edit: They aren't faster routes, but definitely more fun and prettier.

Edited by TyTass
Blind Squirrel
Of course, as soon as I post that I check the weather and ... well ... all I'm going to say is that I might be going alone.

I looked on Google maps. Looks like a nice way to get up there. I also looked on weather.com. Currently there is a 40% chance of precip. for 8 AM tomorrow. I won't make the trip if it is raining when I am ready to leave. Too great a chance of melting my candy ass if it gets wet.

I'll post tomorrow AM that I am either on my way or opting out.

My wife and I checked the weather ... it looks like rain upon starting (40% showers), which becomes scattered showers at 30% a bit closer to Fred-burg. By the time we leave Fred-burg, it's supposed to have stopped raining there, though we may ride back into some scattered showers around down toward VA Beach.

I'll go either way, not only to help launch this inaugural event but also the check out the weatherproof abilities of my new Klim Kaddidlehopper pants. My wife said her going would depend on how hard it's raining when we leave ... but that she may go anyway as she's been looking forward to this quick trip (having something to do with how rarely we ride short distances).

So, Scott ... if it is indeed raining in the am ... you might want to checkout how far west it's raining before you execute a "candy-ass" cancellation maneuver. ;):rofl:

Edited by TyTass

Still 11:00 am, still Blackstone, yes?

I spent a fair bit of Q-time at Morton's today, and the bike is hummin'. Ditched the wimpy-ass scooter horn for something more, ahh, robust; the 6K is done slightly ahead of sched; and I've loaded up on precious bodily (maintenance) fluids. Now for a nice steamin' hot cup 'o joe....

So, Scott ... if it is indeed raining in the am ... you might want to checkout how far west it's raining before you execute a "candy-ass" cancellation maneuver. ;):rofl:

Craig, I concur! The proper execution of a "candy-ass" maneuver is obtainable only by a select few. It takes years of training to acquire the mental fortitude and degree of skin thickness required to withstand the ensuing ribbing for attempting such a maneuver. :thumbsup:

Fathom- yup, still Blackstone. Still 11.

Interesting factoid I discovered by looking at everyones profile:

All of the people attending our little event enjoy motorcycles and coffee. What a small world.

Sun is shining ... and the radar is looking pretty clear between here and Fred'burg. We're getting ready to leave, having a morning cup, a small bite to eat, and then hopefully leaving by 8:00.

Blind Squirrel

The sun is shining, I am IN! Heading out around 8. GPS tells me my route takes about 3 hours. Looking forward to seeing and meeting everyone!

He y'all

Just joined in the spring, and am happy tp see this event so close by hope you don't mind a last minute addition heading down from the Annapolis area, it's still pretty foggy around here! I like motorcycles and coffee too

Donna

I'm afraid Donna will have to sub for me -- got some bad Indian food last night, and am feeling like I've passed my "sell by" date (as did the chicken in the dumplings, or so it would seem). Very bummed, as I'd g-mapped a nice route that roughly doubles the travel time and dodges the slab. Have a cup for me; I'll try hard to make the next one.

It was nice to meet the brave souls who fought their way through the fog and cold for a cup of coffee, and thanks to James for putting the idea out there!

Donna

I have fresh ground coffee every morning for the guys starting at 0430. I love hosting. You are all more than welcome to come on over for an "Adventure Ride". The coffee is well worth it!

Terri and I enjoyed it as well. Nice group of folks.

Thanks again to James for organizing.

We're looking forward to the next one already.

I have fresh ground coffee every morning for the guys starting at 0430. I love hosting. You are all more than welcome to come on over for an "Adventure Ride". The coffee is well worth it!
Hmmmm ... a kind offer but I'm thinking I'll pass. That's a bit too much adventure for this adventure wuss!

Sounds great! You funding the adventure??

Thanks for the link Steve! I haven't finished the read yet but just from the portion I have read I'm impressed. Stories like this always make me think. Here's a guy traveling in some of the harshest areas of the world both physically and politically and getting it done on POS bikes with little to no farkles. Yet somehow, we feel like we can't get across America without a $1000 GPS, $2000 luggage, a $15000+ motorcycle, $1500 worth of protective gear, thousands worth of tents and camping supplies etc etc. Really makes you appreciate the simplicity of motorcycle travel in its original honest form.

Thanks for the link Steve! Yet somehow, we feel like we can't get across America without a $1000 GPS, $2000 luggage, a $15000+ motorcycle, $1500 worth of protective gear, thousands worth of tents and camping supplies etc etc. Really makes you appreciate the simplicity of motorcycle travel in its original honest form.

+1 Fantastic ride report and pictures!

It is hard for me to believe that in 2013 a "tourist" can actually ride through this part of the world. I traveled in some very remote areas in northern India and Nepal in the early 1970's but would not feel comfortable doing the same now in 2013.

I get what you're saying, overall ... the ride is indeed an impressive accomplishment ... certainly in terms of resourcefulness and obviously in terms of his persistance and resilience.

In regard to motives of us here in the US ... is it really true that "we feel like we can't get across America without all a $1000 GPS, $2000 luggage, a $15000+ motorcycle, $1500 worth of protective gear, thousands worth of tents and camping supplies etc., etc."?

Perhaps it is that some folks actually simply enjoy traveling with all that stuff; that perhaps a large part of those people found all that stuff useful having traveled previously without it. Then perhaps for yet others they simply do not see the need to travel under the constraints of being some form of purist (albeit a specific form of purist ... i.e., motorcyclist). Heck, I'm sure there are nany folks in the US that can afford to buy a brand new high-end adventure bike should theirs break down on a cross country trip (that of course is not me ... not even close ... but it is true for some folks).

Of course, one could try to create a purist sort of adventure in the US by applying some constraints such as choosing to ride only basic 1960/70s motorcycles, carry very little gear along, reduce one's budget, etc. but in the end it is an experiement at best ... a psuedo-adventure. The ease of finding all manner of logistics across the US sort of changes everything. Availability of gas, emergency rooms, ambulatory services, food, etc.; to say nothing of the low probability of running into crime/unrest on the road invalidates any real comparison.

As much as we may try to simulate some conditions with constraints, we can't simulate the risks. The fact is adventure riding here is not the same as adventure riding there.

Personally, I experience no sense of shame or guilt in admitting that adventure riding in the US doesn't resemble anything like this guy's trip. It's enough for me to get off the paved road every once in a while (on my big-assed, unfortunately expensive BMW GSA) ... to (comfortably) see sights/roads I wouldn't normally see ... to camp out under the stars (in my high-tech, lightweight tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bags, etc.) ... to wake up in the morning in a nice little campground with hot showers and hot food (courtesy of my jetboil) ... and get back out on the road again, whether I (comfortably) ride 1500 miles over a few days never straying more than 200 miles from my house or whether I were to go ride cross-country.

My need to rough it decreased dramatically after my Navy career.

My need to rough it decreased dramatically after my Navy career.

Haha,...roughing it in the Navy,....did the ship's A/C go out for a couple of hours ;)

Semper Fi brother,....Semper Fi ;)

Wasn't trying to knock everyone with gear and comforts. I've got plenty of gear and a nice bike too. I was just simply taking a look at the simpler & raw side of motorcycle travel and appreciating where it began in its natural form. As the last sentence said, " Really makes you appreciate the simplicity of motorcycle travel in its original honest form." I'll gladly travel with my bluetooth, good waterproof tent and thermorest. But I also have an appreciation for the bare bones style the writer of the story in the link used.

Please don't everyone get their panties in a wod. ;)

Yeah, I'll second that, for sure. Having missed the first one (which really bummed me out), I'm feeling like it's time for some ~*~*~*~*ice coffee~*~*~*~*~*~* !

I was actually thinking maybe the week between Christmas and new year. Anybody available that Saturday the 28th? Or the Monday the 30th.?