I'm not anti-town, so to speak. I've got a few ways into Fred-burg that don't involve too many traffic lights. Lynchburg or anywhere really where one need not battle traffic and/or a bunch of stop lights/stop signs. Getting out of the I-95 corridor is definitely appreciated. That's all I was getting at.

As for the weekend of 8-9 March, I'm not sure that weekend is free yet.

However, the thought of perhaps camping sounds interesting, whether for that weekend or some other. As for camping around Lynchburg:

• James River State Park (Gladstone) - The primitive sites at are open year round. Not sure about bathhouses, though.
  • Smith Mountain Lake State Park (Huddleston) - The primitive sites at are open year round. Not sure about bathhouses, though.
  • Lynchburg NW / Blue Ridge Parkway KOA (Monroe) - Open 1 March
  • Holliday Lake State Park (Appomattox)

And yes ... there are some excellent roads in that area ... of which 501 is one of the best hands down, especially when you get to run it with absolutely no traffic (which really isn't that impossible as it really doesn't carry much traffic). I'm not a fan US-60 because that is the main trucking route across the Blue Ridge between I-64 and US-460 thru Roanoke. Further north there is VA-56 (one of my favs). And for you folks like me who LOVE the hidden back road gems, there's quite a few in the area: Cifax Rd, Coffee Rd, Tolers Ferry, Buffalo Springs Rd, Puppy Creek Rd, Tye River Rd, and some others you won't find on anyone's published ride map.

Speaking of camping ... much further southwest in Meadows of Dan is my favorite camp ground ... Willville Motorcycle Campground. I can't even begin to describe how beautiful and perfect this campground is for motorcycle camping. Will did a fabulous job clearing the area and creating the perfect setting, whether you wish to gather round the communal bonfire or wish to keep to yourself at you tent. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Last edited by TyTass; 01/25/14 06:18 PM.

Craig
11 R1200GSA (aka Big Bird)
04 R1150RT (Sold)

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca