IGNORED

Mid Atlantic Coffee Club

Nice to meet everyone today, Despite the bad weather I was very impressed with the turn out , ltljohn all the way from Pennsylvania , fathom and riding buddy, good coffee great conversation ..then I was off to the motorcycle show ...so many bikes so little time

Donna

It was great meeting John & Donna as well; we did manage to run into Donna again at the bike show, which was better this year than the past few, IMHO. Hope to see some more folks at the next coffee GTG.

Just a request from the peanut gallery, James ... and I promise I won't complain if you can't work it out on short notice and will try my utmost to make it this next time either way, but ...

Could we try to find someplace more out in the country or more on the outskirts of town ... so the ride is less like a commute?

This winter all I've been riding is in and around the traffic and stoplight-laden sprawl that is the Tidewater area.

Thanks for the consideration.

Edited by TyTass
Just a request from the peanut gallery, James ... and I promise I won't complain if you can't work it out on short notice and will try my utmost to make it this next time either way, but ...

Could we try to find someplace more out in the country or more on the outskirts of town ... so the ride is less like a commute?

This winter all I've been riding is in and around the traffic and stoplight-laden sprawl that is the Tidewater area.

Thanks for the consideration.

Would Mudhouse be of interest. Never been there but I just searched for middle Virginia coffeehouse and this one came up.....just a thought, Crozet looks small enough.

Here it be!

Edited by Living the Dream
Blind Squirrel

Depending on weekend and weather, I may be in. I am supposed to have hyneria surgery a week from Friday. I'm not sure how long I will be down because of that.

Thanks for the input and ideas. I certainly am open to meeting up wherever. The two previous locations were chosen because I go to Blackstone a lot and the Alexandria one was chosen because it looked like a cool spot, just did a google search to find it. If anyone knows of a coffee shop or restaurant that would be a good spot I'm definitely open for ideas.

February is a crazy month for me. I will be out of town 3 of the 4 weekends and at work the 4th weekend. If someone else wants to plan a February get together I think that would be great.

I'm going to look into March and get something set for then.

Craig..how about this place in March? I've never been but some folks I know in Lynchburg recomend. I know it's in the downtown area of Lynchburg, but the ride to Lynchburg should be easy to make a nice non-commutelike ride.

Maybe we can even morph into an overnight camping. I'm looking at March 9th. I know it's a Sunday, but I'm going to be in Lynchburg for a conference on the 8th. Thought maybe camp saturday night and coffee sunday.

Does that work for anybody or are Sunday's a bad day to schedule. Also, if anyone else is interested in the camping idea thats cool too.

The White Hart & Blackwater Coffee

1208 Main St.

Lynchburg, VA 24504

www.thewhitehartcoffee.com

Does that work for anybody or are Sunday's a bad day to schedule. Also, if anyone else is interested in the camping idea thats cool too.

Sundays are actually better than Saturdays for me. :thumbsup:

Camping, coffee, and riding are three of my favorite things to do, so yeah, this has potential for sure. Might have to dust off the winter sleeping bag in March, though. Right now, the weekends of March 8 & 22nd look like they could work for me. Now to break out the G-maps and figure out where the heck Lynchburg is at.... ;)

[some time later...] Oh yeah, 60 & 501 look like they'd offer up some good fun. I have several of the "The Best in Tent Camping" books, including the Virginia edition (highly recommended -- the subtitle is "A Guide for Car Campers Who Hate RVs, concrete slabs, and Loud Portable Stereos"). I'll scope a few options, but your personal experiences / recommendations hold more water, esp. where bike camping's concerned.

Edited by Fathom

I'm not anti-town, so to speak. I've got a few ways into Fred-burg that don't involve too many traffic lights. Lynchburg or anywhere really where one need not battle traffic and/or a bunch of stop lights/stop signs. Getting out of the I-95 corridor is definitely appreciated. That's all I was getting at.

As for the weekend of 8-9 March, I'm not sure that weekend is free yet.

However, the thought of perhaps camping sounds interesting, whether for that weekend or some other. As for camping around Lynchburg:

• James River State Park (Gladstone) - The primitive sites at are open year round. Not sure about bathhouses, though.
  • Smith Mountain Lake State Park (Huddleston) - The primitive sites at are open year round. Not sure about bathhouses, though.
  • Lynchburg NW / Blue Ridge Parkway KOA (Monroe) - Open 1 March
  • Holliday Lake State Park (Appomattox)

And yes ... there are some excellent roads in that area ... of which 501 is one of the best hands down, especially when you get to run it with absolutely no traffic (which really isn't that impossible as it really doesn't carry much traffic). I'm not a fan US-60 because that is the main trucking route across the Blue Ridge between I-64 and US-460 thru Roanoke. Further north there is VA-56 (one of my favs). And for you folks like me who LOVE the hidden back road gems, there's quite a few in the area: Cifax Rd, Coffee Rd, Tolers Ferry, Buffalo Springs Rd, Puppy Creek Rd, Tye River Rd, and some others you won't find on anyone's published ride map.

Speaking of camping ... much further southwest in Meadows of Dan is my favorite camp ground ... Willville Motorcycle Campground. I can't even begin to describe how beautiful and perfect this campground is for motorcycle camping. Will did a fabulous job clearing the area and creating the perfect setting, whether you wish to gather round the communal bonfire or wish to keep to yourself at you tent. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Edited by TyTass

I'm going to be passing through Lynchburg this weekend. I'm going to try and scope out the coffee shop and the surrounding area a little for the possible March gathering.

Thanks James, and also Craig, for the excellent road & campground rundown. I will check out the latter for sure -- I think it may have been written up in one of the (um, 6) MC magazines I subscribe to, where it also got some glowing reviews.

If anyone knows of a coffee shop or restaurant that would be a good spot I'm definitely open for ideas.

If/when folks may feel like heading back to Old Town Alexandria, I'd suggest Misha's for (best) coffee & baked goods; Hank's Oyster Bar for their namesake, as well as their (not cheap but pretty amazing/authentic) lobster roll sammiches. On the cheap, there's Austin Grill for fairly decent Tex Mex. For better Tex Mex, there's Cafe Poblano, but that's down the road just a bit in the Del Ray neighborhood -- also a cool place to hang out.

I'm really going to miss this if it turns into a camping/coffee event next month. However, considering the out-of-town town I will be in will be Asheville, I won't be too depressed for missing.

Asheville is a town I just can't get enough of.

Agree wholeheartedly. Have you tried staying at the Princess Anne Inn? It's very, very cool, and breakfasts there are the Nazz.

We're going to the At Cumberland Falls B&B. Never been there before, so we'll have to see what it's like. Looks amazing.
  • 3 weeks later...

March Meeting!

Sunday March 9, 2014 @ 12:00pm

The White Hart & Blackwater Coffee

1208 Main St.

Lynchburg, VA 24504

www.thewhitehartcoffee.com

Please post if you plan on coming.

Looks nice, 6 hrs one way is a bit long for me. I will keep looking and when things move north a bit north I will jump in.

Blind Squirrel

I had surgery Thursday and can't lift anything for a few weeks. Looking forward to the April get together.

Sorry James, I'm out as I'm heading to Asheville next weekend.

Scott, take care ... don't want to be out of commission any longer than necessary.

I'm going to be out for tomorrow. Sorry for the late notice. Having some issues with the house that I have to get taken care of.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's almost April, and I'm hoping that others, like me, would like to bank the embers and roast this coffee club back up to 'full perk'. How's Saturday the 5th looking for everyone? And maybe the Crepes place in Clifton? I ride out that way quite a bit, and their food is great, their espresso even better....

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, lets get this thing back on track! We'll chock March and April up to weird weather.

But May is going to be awesome, I just have a good feeling about it.

Saturday May 10, 2014

11 am

The Art of Coffee

15722 Kings Hwy, Montross, Virginia

Please respond to let me know you're coming.

Blind Squirrel

Out. :( I'll be in Texas that weekend.

It looks like a good riding destination.

Edited by Blind Squirrel
If I'm not out doing a ride & camp weekend, I should be in.

Great!

I'm looking forward to checking this place out. I've heard a couple people mention that its a nice spot.

• 2 weeks later...
Blind Squirrel

*BUMP*

I won't be there this weekend, but that shouldn't stop the fun! Looking forward to the June get together.

Looking forward to a nice ride Saturday morning. After the craziness of work lately it will be nice to relax with friends and coffee.

Hate to do this to you, but with a bike/camping trip next weekend I've got to get homework and yard work done this weekend. So, I've got to cancel. Sorry!

Anybody joining me? Bueller...Bueller
I'm feeling really guilty. If we could meet up earlier, I could find a way to cram in all I need to get done this weekend.

(Going to college at 54 is much harder than I thought it would be.)

Anybody joining me? Bueller...Bueller

Sorry - again I will not be able to attend - have had good intentions but have yet to make it to a Mid Atlantic Coffee Club gathering.

Dropped off my bike today to have an intermittent failing rear brake problem diagnosed and hopefully solved. Will likely not get the bike back for a week or two.

No worries Craig. I know you've got a lot going on. At this point I'm still planning to make the ride. If anyone is there, great. If not I'll enjoy my ride and some coffee.

Had a nice ride and coffee Saturday. The coffee shop is very nice. Its actually a converted mechanic garage, so a little fitting for those of us that like the occasional wrenching. I'm planning to set another one of our get togethers there..maybe a Sunday brunch. I didn't partake but the food looked delicious.