IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Took my brand new '14 R1200RT yesterday up to Ellijay, GA for some break-in and familiarization miles - did a trip over to Chatsworth and return on hwy 52, plus some other side roads before the ~60 mile return. Put about 215 miles on it. Very pleased!

Put the GS back together as much as needed till the shaft gets here so I can move it around the garage easily. I also pulled the carb apart on the DR650 so I can fix a sticky needle seat.

A good day of wrench therapy.

Yesterday put my Air Hawk pad on my bike. Today I plan on putting some miles on it to check it out. In a couple weeks I am going to the Austin MotoGP rally races, but I am riding to Louisiana to meet up with some friends then down to Austin. looking at 1200 miles in 4 days so the butt is going to get sore.

Cleaned the carb on the DR and degreased the motor. I'll have it finished up with a new valve cover gasket, and ready to go anywhere in another day or so

Put 2 hours on my new Air Hawk to see how it fit. On I - 10 between Comfort and Kerrville I stopped and helped a family change a flat, then in Kerrville I stopped at a nice park across from the VA hospital and dropped my seat to the low setting. This felt a lot better. With it in the high setting it was uncomfortable. So the ride from Kerrville to the house felt great. So now the Air Hawk is dialed in. Almost ready for my "long" ride.

Actually got out and rode for 2 1/2 hours on Saturday. Mixture of smooth pavement and small side roads with "Mill" in the name.

I needed that...

Laid it down. About 25 miles per hour turning from a side street onto route 1 and hit a strip of oil while trying to swing wide to avoid sand. Tore up my jacket arm and my foot is pretty sore. Broke the turn signal cover and scuffed up the cylinder guard and side case pretty good. Overall not too bad. Guess it's not to bad considering I've been riding over 10 years and lots of miles and this is my first get off. Thankful it wasn't worse and that there weren't more cars around to hit or get hit by.

Put the airbox back on the DR last night after the carb cleaning. Really amazed me how odd the stock jetting was on that bike. I tried to run it in the garage, no airbox, no air filter, etc. Wouldn't idle.

I put it back together, oiled the filter, etc. Thing purrs like a kitten. Crazy how that over lean jetting needs the extra vacuum to pull gas into the motor.

Reconnected PIAA's.

Added some teflon tape in the mirror edge gap to stop a slight vibration.

We'll see how that works.

Washed the GSA for the first time. ( Had it since June) While I like it better dirty, I revealed signs of rot on the rear boot. Time to schedule a tech day.

Laid it down. About 25 miles per hour turning from a side street onto route 1 and hit a strip of oil while trying to swing wide to avoid sand. Tore up my jacket arm and my foot is pretty sore. Broke the turn signal cover and scuffed up the cylinder guard and side case pretty good. Overall not too bad. Guess it's not to bad considering I've been riding over 10 years and lots of miles and this is my first get off. Thankful it wasn't worse and that there weren't more cars around to hit or get hit by.

Sorry to hear that, but glad it wasn't more serious.

Was on a short ride with a buddy Friday and he also had a slow speed drop in a gravel patch. It's tough to see damage on the bikes we care for. The silver lining was that he used the scratches on his exhaust as an excuse to upgrade.

Washed the GSA for the first time. ( Had it since June) While I like it better dirty, I revealed signs of rot on the rear boot. Time to schedule a tech day.

We can order a full set and do them together since i need to replace my front one

We can order a full set and do them together since i need to replace my front one

I figured on doing both & a lube job at the same time. Let's talk.

Today road into town and my GPS battery failed. So I said enough is enough and I stopped by the local shop and picked up a power cord and took the battery minder SAE connector and hooked it into the other cord, took all the side panels off and ran the power socket up to my bars. Zip tied it all in nice and pretty and put it all together. Plugged in the phone, power check good, pulled the phone, plugged in the GPS and power check good. No more of that BS battery failure. Man that really was starting to piss me off.

57000 miles and I finally took it in to get the brakes flushed,.....guess I'll wait until 114000 to do the next flushing ;)

Added a functional, but hopefully never needed, accessory this evening.

Picture%20126-L.jpg

In case you rear end catches on fire? :grin:

I met up with a few friends for the 2014 Round Britain Rally "Annual Rally Start Event"

ARSE%202014%20Group%202-XL.jpg

For any Brits, (or visiting non-Brits) it is not too late to sign up as the rally runs from today until 31st October at your own pace. Details at http://www.roundbritainrally.co.uk then click the "about" button.

Andy

Got 'ol Black Betty ready for several weekends of playing around in the garage. Motor and gear oil changed, got the tank off, and replaced the fuel filter, submersible lines and fuel pump.

20140330_202934-M.jpg

Lots left to do. Replacing the fuel sender, got a new throttle cable thingy on order, got the Spieglers waiting (black on black), need to get some brake fluid so I can spill it all over the place, new air filter, and thinking of putting a pair of Works Performance boingers on it. Oh yeah, the blasted HES, doing that too.

15 min taking tupperware off.

20 min removing canister.

15 min checking throttle balance

90 min putting tupperware back on. arghhhh (its enough to make you want to buy a GS). You get to the last speed clip and its all bent or something, so you have to take the whole panel off to get to it. I can't sleep at night if its missing a screw.

I actually got to ride to work today, the first time since the middle of December that the roads were without ice spots or piles of sand and salt. 33 degrees is very tolerable early in the season.

Went to the Morton's BMW Spring open house. I helped lead demo rides and got to talk to perspective buyers about BMW. Plus I bought a used Aerostitch that fits well for a great price.

Sunday I got out for almost four hours, 150 miles of mostly backroads, including six one lane bridges. One of those was a covered bridge, which was a first for me. :)

Then when I stopped at a 7-11 for some Gatorade, I must have stepped in some bubblegum, as I found out several minutes later when my left boot really didn't want to move around on the footpeg. :rofl:

Joe Frickin' Friday

The weather and my own schedule finally coincided yesterday to allow me the first ride of the season. :clap: Nothing huge, just 70 miles on local roads. This winter was murderously tough on roads in the area; there were some big potholes to dodge in town, things that would have shattered my bike. But out in the countryside, not so bad. Nice to finally get out, just ten days before leaving for START. :grin:

The weather and my own schedule finally coincided yesterday to allow me the first ride of the season. :clap: Nothing huge, just 70 miles on local roads. This winter was murderously tough on roads in the area; there were some big potholes to dodge in town, things that would have shattered my bike. But out in the countryside, not so bad. Nice to finally get out, just ten days before leaving for START. :grin:

All of that sounds good, especially the very last part! See you next week at START! :)

Rounding the bend there she was with eight chicks in tow little legs a blur making their way to port and the relative safety of the pond. I and the apposing car stopped, watched this little family proceed, smiled at one another, and continued on with our lives.

Gave the GT a second over, all lights, horn, tire pressure, etc. for START.

Did not look at the oil.

It's a brick.

;)

rode to work on the RT. 60 miles each way. a little cool. Should have donned the heated vest, but good to feel Mother Nature in control. OK, so I cheated a little bit, heated grips turned on low.

The motor seems to run perfect. Smooth and begging to run at 100+. Suspension feels perfect. New Yacugar's working out very well. I exit the freeway, the motor settles into a perfect idle and I talk out loud to myself, again, "I love this motorcycle".

RPG

Went out Sun. for a quick 1st of the year shake down run.100 miles. With fresh gas and the new AF-XiED the bike was running sweeet. :thumbsup: Most of the other improvements I made over the vinter were good too.

The new Russell is great. I cut down the rear rubber bumpers and tossed the front ones so the seat sits as low as it can get. Had issues with sound cables , yea I'm in the dark ages. :dopeslap: Gave them a good cleaning when I got home and seem to work now.

Dialed in the refurbd Zumo, miles to empty, home address etc.

Nice to have a working GPS again :clap:. Got XM turned back on.

Today I was cleaning out my desk drawer, the one I couldn't get closed, and found the 2014 registration and plate tag that was supposed to be on 3-30-14. Oh well, close enough.

After about 5 and half months, finally got my RT out of storage on Sunday. Rode to work today then picked up a few 'double down' towns. (For a Glacial Lakes Motorcycle Club Grand Tour event.) Felt very good to ride! :grin:

Here's a sample pic:

13977938474_670aa17618.jpgP1050211 by mnTwin, on Flickr

JerryMather

Just installed another set or tires, checked the brakes, cleaned & lubed the chain & topped off the coolant.

Oh..... and actually wiped down the bike while waiting for the UPS guy to drop off my new tires.

Put 280 miles on it in north Georgia. Rode it up to Ellijay, attended a firearm carry bill signing ceremony with about 200+ other responsible carrying citizens all packin while the gov and house sponsors all made quick remarks. Then I rode a bunch more. Included GA highways 136, 52, 60 (blue ridge to dahlonega) more 52, stopped at Amicalola Falls, 183 and 53 to Tate. Absolutely the most perfect sunny spring weather day. Temps in mid 60s to upper 70s, and very little traffic on the featured roads.

Edited by tkrandall

Rode to work today & barely beat the storm home. It was dark & sprinkling when I pulled in at 5. Let the dogs out , put food in their bowls, & by the time they were chowing down it was pouring.

Almost forgot. Spooned on a set of Karoo 3's Sat afternoon. I like them, but they howl bad at 70 (& above:cool:). I'll prolly replace them with a set of Tourances since most of my time on the bike is commuting & strafing county roads. I'll keep them for the occasional CADS adventure.

In another thread Chris K was right, I need another set of rims. $$$$ :P

" I like them, but they howl bad at 70 (& abovecool)."

Great, you won't need a radio for entertainment.

You're right. It's interesting how the song changes in corners. Makes me want to play more. icon10.gif

Get better ear plugs.

:grin:

Have a friend here that I sold a GSA to and he has 3 sets...

much easier.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced the howling Karoo's with Tourance's yesterday. I had the priviledge of doing the front twice. Double checked it for rotation, then checked it again. Should've stopped at the second check.

Anywho, did a nice heat cycle route this afternoon. Much quieter, better sticky. :thumbsup:

Marty Hill

Rode into traverse city, mi. Beautiful town! Dinner at the Apache Trout restaurant on the lake. Over the bridge and down into fish creek, wi. tomorrow.

Mrs. Caddis

New Cee Bailey windscreen taken for a test drive around Boulder County. Amazing how much quieter it is than the stock.

Glenn Reed
Rode into traverse city, mi. Beautiful town! Dinner at the Apache Trout restaurant on the lake. Over the bridge and down into fish creek, wi. tomorrow.

I was lucky enough to be scheduled to attend training at one of our vendors in Traverse City in October two years ago. I convinced the real boss (wife Rina) and other boss (owner of the company I work for) that travel to and from should be via motorcycle. I took my time getting there, and then rode every evening. The weather cooperated and I enjoyed the area a great deal.

Keep us up to date Marty! :wave:

Plugged in Battery Tender.

:(

Ride scuttled when the leak in our playhouse turned out to be a basketball sized hole in the roof.

Spent most of weekend on it and I've just started...

:eek:

Matts_12GS

Put about 1500 miles on a birthday trip up to the smokies with a couple good friends. Ride tale is in work

John Ranalletta

Took a short (150mi) ride through Brown Co, IN. It was a check out trip for the trailer rebuild.

Bought a hand grinder and cut off as much heavy metal as possible including the fenders and expanded metal decking. Yes, you can see pieces of a lug nut wrench in the pile. I only needed one size and cut of the other 3 to mount the wrench on the trailer.

IMG_1372.JPG

Only the rear section of flooring was replaced with 1/4" aluminum thread plate and the fenders were purchased from a trailer supply. All very much lighter than the steel.

IMG_1373.JPG

The frame was painted, wheel bearings repacked, wheels cleaned and painted and new tires mounted.

Would still like to replace steel ramps w/ aluminum but maybe later.

The Execuhitch for the 335d (which is evidently made from Unobtanium) should arrive this week.

Capture.JPG

I'm anxious to see how towing this rig impacts mpg. It robs about 2 mpg with the WRX's already shitty mileage. Here's hoping.

Getting it ready for a long trip out west. I towed the bike and trailer setup with our WRX. Rock solid, straight and steady at speeds up to 90mph.

I've arrived at a combination of the Condor and four Jeg's ratchet straps to fasten the bike to the trailer. I've had the bike go to 45 deg using thin straps. The Jeg's are overkill, but provide peace of mind.

555-80137_2.jpg

As we were about to leave, Ruth appeared wearing this shirt. Coupled with Jake's ride report, the shirt brought back some great memories.

IMG_1374.JPG

Edited by John Ranalletta