IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Marty Hill
Rode into traverse city, mi. Beautiful town! Dinner at the Apache Trout restaurant on the lake. Over the bridge and down into fish creek, wi. tomorrow.

I was lucky enough to be scheduled to attend training at one of our vendors in Traverse City in October two years ago. I convinced the real boss (wife Rina) and other boss (owner of the company I work for) that travel to and from should be via motorcycle. I took my time getting there, and then rode every evening. The weather cooperated and I enjoyed the area a great deal.

Keep us up to date Marty! :wave:

Crossed the bridge into the UP of Michigan. The last big chunk of the US I had not ridden in. In Fish Creek, Wi for the night. Try the White Gull Inn for dinner and cherry pie/truly amazing. Years ago I rode in on my choke, harley from milwaukee just for pie and coffee.

Tomorrow I'll bug RAAAN!

Later.

• 4 weeks later...

Got out for a fast dash on Sunday and realized what a great machine I have :clap:. This year will be a low mileage one due to a home sale , move and medical issues. I can't justify being gone for several days while my dear wife is in recovery and a unexpected home buy, sell and move is happening Next year will be much different with a new location and new areas to ride.

Besides this post needed a bump :thumbsup:

The rest of you ride the wheels off and have fun. :grin:

Rode to work both yesterday and today (yesterday being Ride to Work Day). I miss my longer commute I had in Maryland, 15 miles with a beautiful river crossing was a lot better than my 8 mile run, only 2 miles of which I could consider fun if I don't have traffic. Seems like it takes me more time to don my boots, jacket, and helmet than does the ride itself.

Also, rewired my electrified tackbag over the last couple days as some part arrived. What I had was a Ycable running a combination of cigarette lighter sockets and usb adapters to charger various devices (Sena, SR10, cell phone, FRS radio). That left me with a tangled wad of wires in my tankbag and left me needing to leave these devices on my bike to charge (and in many cases I wasn't comfortable leaving those expensive devices on the bike.

So now, I will have a Mophie PowerStation XL (extended usb battery pack being charged from the tankbag power. Then the mophie will serve as the power hub. I have some very short USB cables with a variety of terminations to provide power to my devices.

Now, when I need to leave my bike (say for lunch) and am uncomfortable leaving the device unlocked in my tankbag, I can either take the Mophie and the device(s) needing charge with me or lock them both up in my top case to continue charging. The biggest benefit is that when I camp, or even spend an evening in a hotel, I don't need to bring a bunch of chargers. I just need the Mophie.

The last part I'm awaiting is a Mini-usb to micro-usb adapter.

I now have room in my tankbag again.

And yes ... I know ... if I got rid of all those devices I wouldn't have had a problem to solve. However, I then wouldn't have the capabilities I enjoy when traveling.

And yes ... I know ... if I got rid of all those devices I wouldn't have had a problem to solve. However, I then wouldn't have the capabilities I enjoy when traveling.

Maybe you should just work on changing the headlight bulb faster? :rofl:

I too participated in Ride to Work Day. Then I got home and stared at the right fairing trying to figure out how to glue that "tab" piece back together. You know the little piece that sticks in on the fairing and screws (2) to the body just in front of the cylinder. I can't be the only one that broke that thing.

Maybe you should just work on changing the headlight bulb faster? :rofl:

I will remind you that we discovered that the hold-down tab was broken. So there! :P

I too participated in Ride to Work Day. Then I got home and stared at the right fairing trying to figure out how to glue that "tab" piece back together. You know the little piece that sticks in on the fairing and screws (2) to the body just in front of the cylinder. I can't be the only one that broke that thing.

Really? You're surprised that staring at that piece didn't fix it? Now I see that aside from my broken retaining clip hold-down slowing me up while changing my headlight bulb, I had YOU helping me! :rofl:

Really? You're surprised that staring at that piece didn't fix it? Now I see that aside from my broken retaining clip hold-down slowing me up while changing my headlight bulb, I had YOU helping me! :rofl:

I wasn't staring so much as I was imagining a MacGyver fix involving ABS cement, an expired credit card, and a soldering gun. It's a good thing it's in an inconspicuous location because it's sure to look like a bull's ass.

And as I recall, I did come up with some sort of metal or plastic clippy washer thingy I thought was helpful....all while holding a beer in my right hand. More of a casual observer than actual help. ;)

Yep-

Yesterday was ride to work and I did just that on my Sidecar rig. On the two wheeled Stoner, I changed out the 2 year old Odyssey PC 680 battery which somehow went bad last fall. Don't know what is up with that or if I can gain a warranty refund. Maybe give it a good dose of amperage to wake it up. My ADV Monster LED light also went south on the ride to work and is now removed. Maybe I should be admiring the bikes in the garage instead of riding them, It would cost me less out of pocket but, then again, what price can you actually put on the freedom to two or three wheels?

Well instead of Ride to Work yesterday, I "worked on my ride". :)

12000 mile service (136317 miles) was due and this has been the first service I have done since my accident. Also changed front brake pads, and of course one of low beam light bulb blew, during the TBS procedure. So I changed both bulbs today, waxed the body panels and reassembled the bike. Now it's time to get the fuel pump recall done.

Rode from seattle to sequim. Beautiful day/heading south tomorrow along the coast. Found a grey restaurant in sequim named Nurish/give it a try.

And as I recall, I did come up with some sort of metal or plastic clippy washer thingy I thought was helpful....all while holding a beer in my right hand. More of a casual observer than actual help. ;)

You are correct, sir. Your plastic washer thingy is what I used to fix it! Nice assist (and I thought you had scotch in your hand)!

roadscholar
Well instead of Ride to Work yesterday, I "worked on my ride". :)

12000 mile service (136317 miles) was due and this has been the first service I have done since my accident. Also changed front brake pads, and of course one of low beam light bulb blew, during the TBS procedure. So I changed both bulbs today, waxed the body panels and reassembled the bike. Now it's time to get the fuel pump recall done.

No grass growing under your tires! I got your old 1100RT back from Doc last month, still runs like a champ with 117k. It had 106,000 when I got it from you so between the two you're pushing a quarter million in 14 years. No wonder that 'stich' is sprouting stuff! :thumbsup:

First go this evening with my brandy-new GS-911. Reset the service light, ran quite a few diagnostics (all clean, save for a small issue with it not liking how my aftermarket horn was installed)... and freaked out just a bit because using the device seems to have somehow turned my heated grips on full blast (no indication of them being on on the dash). Couldn't get the fan test to cycle the fans, so that's something to look into.

Anyone else experience the weird heated grip issue or fan test fail when running the tests on a 2013 RT? Or any 2013 R model?

roadscholar
I replaced it this spring. The old one had a ripped pocket on the right leg.

G0050130.JPG

Yikes, think I'll need new sunglasses! Lemme know if anyone pulls out in front of ya. :grin:

I replaced it this spring. The old one had a ripped pocket on the right leg.

G0050130.JPG

Yikes, think I'll need new sunglasses! Lemme know if anyone pulls out in front of ya. :grin:

Oh, that happens all the time, this is more to help the folks following me to be able to find me, and don't get lost. Hi-Viz doesn't prevent blind folks form running over you, it just makes sure they did see you before they hit you. LOL

But I kinda like bright colors, it more cheerful. :wave:

Rode 480 miles for lunch.

:Cool:

Great time.

First ride since START...

:dopeslap:

the GT was flawless, again.

Paul In Australia

Took the bike for a 350 km spin on the new rubber.

Over Mount Glorious ( very slippery this morning, past Sommerset Dam

B422656D-C6BF-4188-BA81-C3F4E2243AD3_zpspilmjz4v.jpg

4D65AD94-2816-4F2E-9C5A-37FAA64550C9_zpsipdqua6z.jpg

Edited by Paul In Australia

Had coffee with the queen of lean and vlad in pt. reyes, ca. Then went to see the pacific/beautiful as usual tho a bit chilly. :grin:

I followed some inspiration from another rider and dropped my seat to the low position on the GS. It feels really different, a little more compact and more "in" the bike than on it. I guess after 5 years it's worth trying something new.

Dean Wirsing

Today I flushed my brakes on the 07RT. Once my auto mechanic friend loaned me his 8mm bleeder wrench, the job was a piece of cake! Without that wrench, though, my open end 8mm wrench was not gripping the bleeder nut at all!

Next up, valves and gear oil.

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

Started the maintenance process on my RT tonight with an attempt at flushing the clutch. Cleaned a lot of dirty fluid out using a turkey baster on the reservoir, a Dremel-shortened bleed screw on the flush port and a MityVac. Not 100% satisfied with the result though. I will pick up the BMW bleed screw on Friday when I take the bike to Pandora's in Chattanooga for a full brake system flush.

Not getting the Speed Bleeder screw since I have the MityVac and can follow the IBMW Oilhead manual procedure.

Will do the engine and FD oil tomorrow evening with the trans oil early next week.

Guest Kakugo

Rode the local twisties today back and forward to get to a place and was absolutely shocked on my way back to come across a brand new GSX-R750 with no license plate on it. Like in the rest of the civilized world this is a major, major offense that can result in far more than a large fine and a suspended license.

On the other side I am happy to report I was able to make the CB sing again... :grin:

Rode the local twisties today back and forward to get to a place and was absolutely shocked on my way back to come across a brand new GSX-R750 with no license plate on it. Like in the rest of the civilized world this is a major, major offense that can result in far more than a large fine and a suspended license.

On the other side I am happy to report I was able to make the CB sing again... :grin:

Perhaps the license plate was stolen? It has happened to me twice...

Guest Kakugo

Perhaps the license plate was stolen? It has happened to me twice...

I very very much doubt it. ;)

I flipped it the bird as I swung a leg over my bicycle for the ride to work. :dopeslap: 60 miles a day round trip to work allows me to eat like a teenager again.

Did some PM on my RT, all the fluids, filters and spark plugs. I was going to do the alternator belt but ran out of time...next oil change. Decided to try Motul 7100 10W-40 (I know waste of money). The bike seemed smoother, less vibration coming into work this morning. Next up is a new front tire.

Put a new front tire on yesterday, PR4. Today I decided to break it in and go for a little spin. I ended up going almost 500 miles. Found myself in Lost Hills off the 5 getting gas. Headed towards Paso Robles but took the Bitter Water Valley cutoff which came out on the 46. Went through Paso Robles and got on the SB 101. Stopped in Avila Beach for lunch. Went down to the 126 in Ventura and went home. But not before trying to find that cafe in Santa Paula some of the guys are talking about without success.

Long day.

put down 170 or so miles chasing Bernie Saturday and then did another 150 today looking for some photo ops. Sadly the rain and no shelter kept me from getting any photos, but I had a nice ride just the same.

Computerbob

I moved the bike out of the way so I could work in the garage to build a shed in the backyard. I haven't ridden in a couple of weeks and I'm starting to become an asshole (shutup Matt!).

Next weekend I'll go riding, for sure...hopefully... maybe....

140562925726.jpg

I thought boston green was the fastest....that doesn't look fast?

Hey now, it's in stealth mode so the LEO's won't see me coming.

You know they know that Boston Green is the fastest color and will give out a performance award in a heart beat.

Rode to Wildflower Bread on the bohemian highway. Wonderful bread and cake. About 10 miles east of the 1.

2 new Pirelli Angel GTs and a new clutch cable. First time for Pirellis on this bike. Georgi runs Pirelli MT 75s all the time.

PCIII on my 2006 1200RT

Was thinking of getting some pics of it naked. I wanted to ride it too much to take pics though.

140607341585.jpg

Picked up the sock, in box, from Autozone for $9.78. Airtex FS30.

The rubber bumper on the bottom of the pump broke off into pieces when I tried to remove it. U hose was cracked. Hoses from top of tank were rotted at the bottom end. OEM and not submersible hose??????

Thanks to forum members here, I ordered the correct hose and will pick it up in St. Louis tomorrow at Gateway. About $25.00 for a piece long enough to reach from the filler to the connections at the pump plate.

With the use of a highly modified (and really cheap) 17mm box end wrench, I was able to remove the old one.

Notice the high tech stack of rare earth magnets used to get the old piston out.

140616024864.jpg

It's not how much you do at one time, it's if you do something every day. Well until tomorrow that is when I need to do a lot!

With the use of a highly modified (and really cheap) 17mm box end wrench, I was able to remove the old one.

I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago. I saw Chris on the youtube video use the same type modified box wrench. I was all set to grind one down but didn't need to. I was able to get the old one out one tooth at a time. Just enough room.