IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

I got up at 5:30 AM so it would be cool enough to ride...it was only 90F so I was good to go. I just finished a major 24K miles maintenance and then some so I wanted to make sure everything was OK. Took about a 65 mi ride on surface streets and freeway up to 80 mph. Sure runs smooth now. I think the TB sync really made a difference. It was worth all the effort.

With the use of a highly modified (and really cheap) 17mm box end wrench, I was able to remove the old one.

I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago. I saw Chris on the youtube video use the same type modified box wrench. I was all set to grind one down but didn't need to. I was able to get the old one out one tooth at a time. Just enough room.

I wasn't so lucky with my made in China Harbor Freight wrench! But I don't have a 15 MM box end to tighten up the new one so it's another trip to the store. :dopeslap:

Installed SS brake lines.

Finished installing the new hoses inside the tank, new fuel sock, new fuel filter, new rubber bumper on bottom of pump.

New external lines with QD's. Brake fluid flush.

I removed the TB as suggested to get better access but it was a real bitch to get that plastic tube back out so I could reconnect the throttle body. Must be some kind of trick I don't know about. had the clamps completely loose. Hope to not have to do that again.

Hooked up AFXied (tapped the wrong white wire for power :rofl: ) of course that was after I had the tank back on and put in fuel to see that it would start and run.

I rode to work today, heat be damned. Then again...

I put my 2 month new Galaxy 4s on the top case whilst I geared up after lunch. You know the rest of the story. :dopeslap:

Yes, I went back an hour later after I missed it when I got home. No luck. :P

I've never lost a phone before, & this is the first up to date phone I've ever had. Always took The Wife's hand me downs. I have insurance, but it'll still cost.

But, hey. At least the storms were all around me, & not on top of me. Even in the heat, it was nice to ride. :thumbsup:

Danny,

Sux.

Could happen to anyone.

I've got an app that lets me use a computer to track mine,

maybe put that on your new one.

I'm using Lookout,there are others.

I put my 2 month new Galaxy 4s on the top case whilst I geared up after lunch. You know the rest of the story. :dopeslap::thumbsup:

Once when I dropped the RT at the dealer for service, my wife came by to give me a ride home. I loaded all my ATGATT in the back of her Mini, and I drove off. Left out of the lot, left onto a four lane, and then right hand ramp leading to a bigger road. Then I thought, "Where's my phone?" and pulled over.

It was still on the roof of her car, right where I left it. :dopeslap:

Danny, sorry yours didn't hang on. I hope the insurance thing takes care of it as well as possible.

Guest Kakugo

On Friday evening I went out for the first time in months (my lifestyle has been variously described as "monastic" and "reclusive").

One thing I noticed is how terrible HID conversions look on most vehicles. Light is "wasted" instead of going exactly where it should, meaning on the road. Overtook a Yamaha T-Max running HID's and was literally blinded by the light in the mirrors.

By contrast you won't hear any complaint about the Osram bulbs I run... work better than a HID conversion and cost a fraction. :grin:

It was still on the roof of her car, right where I left it. :dopeslap:

If I had a quarter for everytime I drove to work with my coffee mug on the roof.....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kakugo

Yesterday evening went to dinner to some of my friends.

Rode back on the local twisties, on a starry, cool night, not a soul in sight for miles and miles and as I was approaching the first turn my Walkman started playing The Call of the Mountains... :grin:

Coupled with the fact I just had a great evening, it made me realize I am one thing shy from a perfect life. ;)

320 miles chasing Bernie; good Q at a new to us place; started in the high 70s and finished in the high 90s; ran outa gas, leaned it over, it started and made it to the gas station a mile away; then coffee. Good day.

Bill

320 miles chasing Bernie; good Q at a new to us place; started in the high 70s and finished in the high 90s; ran outa gas, leaned it over, it started and made it to the gas station a mile away; then coffee. Good day.

Bill

:thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Came up on the scene of yet another crash. It happened probably a minute or less before I arrived.

Very young rider on a ZX10R missed the braking point by a mile and hit the Armco barrier. Judging by the bike conditions he wasn't that fast.

Me and another rider directed traffic for over half an hour: police surely took their sweet time arriving. Not impressed at all at how my tax money are being spent. This is not the first time I do this and, sadly, I fear it won't be the last.

Ambulance was on the scene in about five minutes. It seemed the rider was pretty banged up so they called in a MEDEVAC chopper. Luckily by the time the chopper arrived the paramedics had found he had just a broken leg and maybe a couple of cracked ribs and didn't move because of the shock.

Another rider who had stopped to help told me he overheard the injured boy's riding buddies making some "weird talks" and they were in an indecent haste to make the bike disappear. Pretty sure there was something fishy at work but I am happy to leave that to law enforcement professionals.

All of this happened on the local twisties, just behind my home. Over the years we've had far more crashes and fatalities than I care to remember. After a few years of peace this year we've already had three fatalities, a very negative record given the number of bikes has dwindled to a fraction of what was a few years ago due to economic conditions and police breaking up a clandestine racing ring.

Being imbued with Classic Greek culture, I am pessimistic by nature and these things surely don't help...

• 2 weeks later...

On Friday nine of us from work took a ride for some Julien pie. There were six HDs, two Yamahas (one FJR), and one beemer. We met at Flappy Jacks in Orange. From there we went to Banning and fueled up. We took the 243 through Idylwild. The HDs stopped for gas again! From there we motored down and came out at Anza-Borrego. It was pretty hot there, 97! From AB we went to Julien stopping at Buffalo Bills for lunch. After lunch we went to the Julien Pie Co. for a slice of pie. Pretty good. At the end of the day my trip odometer read 485 miles. I left at 5 am and got back at 8 pm. Long day, fun though.

Trying to get ready to FART, I swapped the rear wheel/tire for another that I had bought from Eddd. I thought I had everything I needed after I bought a breaker bar, set of metric hex bits, and torque wrench to supplement my existing stock of tools.

Fortunately, I remembered that the tire had been shipped uninflated (to save me on shipping I suppose :grin:) and I took it down to the local gas station to put air in it.

When I went to take the wheel nuts off, I discovered that I did not have a 1/2" drive, 17mm socket. Off to the local hardware store and back home in 20 minutes and I could proceed.

Everything came off as I had expected, and went back on fairly straightforward. Then it came time to torque down the wheel nuts. ;) That's when I figured out that the torque wrench would need an extension to get the newly purchased socket down into the recess. Off to the local hardware store again, but they didn't have one. :dopeslap: Off to local big box store, and got one! :thumbsup: (I'm a big believer in buying local if possible, something I remember hearing about from David Wilcox in his song

Torqued down the wheel nuts (then turned the clicker back to zero, I got that message loud and clear). Pumped the brakes and all seems good.

Now to buy the bolts to attach the rotors to the new to me spare front wheel, so I can go through the slightly more daunting process all over again on the front wheel tonight!

Provided moto support Sunday for the inaugural Ironman Chattanooga. 2600 cyclists jammed on to very small roads with no shoulders. 28 motos total carrying officials, media, spotters, VIPs, etc. I carried a Timex photographer for most of the time. He liked to move around on the back A LOT getting shots of Timex athletes and pros. At one point he was standing. What is this Tour de France?

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

Replaced the rear tire on the RT. Picked up a self tapping sheet metal screw that self tapped itself into my PR4. Damn! Got a new one at Ken&Joes. Back on the road.

I took a little Fall ride on the bike. A Iron Butt Association long-distance ride, a SaddleSore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours). I did 1,037 miles in 19 hours! Lots of deer out at night, so had to take it slow coming back in. Temps from 34* to 70*. This was on my F700GS.

I took a little Fall ride on the bike. A Iron Butt Association long-distance ride, a SaddleSore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours). I did 1,037 miles in 19 hours! Lots of deer out at night, so had to take it slow coming back in. Temps from 34* to 70*. This was on my F700GS.

Nice ride - is this your first SaddleSore 1000? Was the ride mostly in your home state of Wyoming?

I spent most of the day scraping Bugs off the Wee Strom and giving it a bath, after the trip home from Mercer Island Wa. :thumbsup:

Edited by Norm 79

A couple of weeks ago while FARTing, I noticed a bit of grinding noise coming from the starter bendix after releasing the button. It was most prevalent on the first start of the day (especially the cold Sunday morning). I pulled the starter yesterday and cleaned all of the crud off the starter gears and "plunger" assembly. Re-lubed it all and put it back together. It is releasing much better now with no more grinding.

82K miles so a through, down to the frame cleaning, replaced the right headlight bulb without blood letting (a first), and will replace the OEM battery tomorrow before our cold winter sets in.

Bill

Picked up my freshly serviced bike.

New oil and filter, throttle body sync and valve clearance adjustment (both sorely needed).

Also had new front wheel bearings installed: I had told the dealer to check the FD bearing (clean bill of health) because of a "rumble" I felt in the footpegs but turned out it came from the front... bike is smooth as silk right now.

Could have done the bearing change myself but dealer cut me such a good deal (using genuine parts) I could not turn the offer down.

I have this lingering feeling they may be trying to mollify me to buy a new bike. :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Drained the final drive, added new fluid, and had a new tire mounted on the rear wheel, so I put that back on. Not a difficult job at all!

Dean - 07 RT

back and forth to soccer tourney, yesterday and today, once on RT, once on GS. Went to the dealer for grins on saturday, looking for quote on throttle cable replacement on the RT.... wait for it......

$1100.00

are you F&*^%^*( kidding me?

Went to Willow Springs by Rosamond on Sunday to watch a couple of friends try their luck on track day. It was pretty cool until my friend on his Aprilia crashed on turn 4. Broke his collar bone and shook him up pretty good. The right side of his bike is damaged. His helmet really saved him. Still, he doesn't remember crashing, only coming to in the ambulance. A little worrisome. Shortly after we got him off the track, another rider went down and slid into the infield. Dangerous stuff.

I got drug around the TX Hill Country by Limecreek, MarkGoodrich, SWMckinley and Bob. It was an awesome day of riding and a great introduction to the area.

The Moto museum in Vanderpool and the Apple House in Medina were definite treats.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Paul In Australia

New tyres. PR4 at a $100 saving on Angle Gt's . Hope you guys know what your talking about on these PR4's?

Now just have to "break them in"

best regards

Test rode the heated seats hookup from last week. Also heated grips on the 1190. Installed the Uni-filter aircleaner while tank was off. 10,325 miles, slight dusting in the intake stacks with oily residue from PCV system. Not bad, but decided to replace OEM filter with Uni-Filter.

Heated seats worked good, also the heated grips, and the grips retain the setting after stopping and cranking again.

I was not able to see the light on the heated seat switch unless in shade or garage.

Did a 6K service at 144K today. During the spark plug inspection I found a loose ceramic sleeve around the electrode of one of the bottom. So I also replaced all the spark plugs, they where do in another 6k anyway. Checked valves, TBS sync changed air filter, oil and oil filter. Now it's time to clean it up a bit and reassemble all the Tupperware. And it be ready to go.

Eat, Ride, Service and repeat. :wave:

Visited my daughter and her family in Carlsbad yesterday. Nice ride going down there. Coming back was another story. Worst traffic I've ever seen. I made the mistake of taking the 5 home. Horrible. I had to split lanes for over 40 miles, semis everywhere. Got home OK though. Next time I'm taking the 405, it has a car pool lane.

Went to the Motorcycle Show in Long Beach last Saturday. Stopped at Long Beach Motorcycles and had breakfast first, pretty cool that they did that. Bought a pair of KLIM WindStopper gloves. Pretty good so far.

Sat on a K1600GT, what a nice machine.

The Rocketman

Went to Cycle Gear in Hicksville, NY to try on the Dainese 4 Stroke short cuff gloves. Like them a lot, but waiting for the 2015 improved EVO model to come out. These will be my next Summer gloves. Also a good excuse to get out and enjoy some non-freezing temps. 40 degrees felt like a heat wave.

repositioning day today. I swapped out the side car bike to be the first out and the two wheeler C to the rear bay of the garage.

Winter is officially here!

Had a little time today to ride in my new home area. Nice 70 degrees but a little windy, 30-35mph. Well it is Oklahoma.! :rofl:!!

Had not been on the bike for 4 weeks.

What a great bike. Bags on, suit up, mount, push start and off I go. Fires up like it was only run yesterday. :thumbsup:

I can't believe my good fortune for location. Only 1/2 mile from the house to a real gas store, no ethanol, and next to it is a German sausage store that also has a restaurant :grin:. Ach du liber.

Had a little time today to ride in my new home area. Nice 70 degrees but a little windy, 30-35mph. Well it is Oklahoma.! :rofl:!!

Had not been on the bike for 4 weeks.

What a great bike. Bags on, suit up, mount, push start and off I go. Fires up like it was only run yesterday. :thumbsup:

I can't believe my good fortune for location. Only 1/2 mile from the house to a real gas store, no ethanol, and next to it is a German sausage store that also has a restaurant :grin:. Ach du liber.

Glad your enjoying!

Paul In Australia

Installed new sintered brake pads front and back at 40K km. have yet to test ride.

Rest of this week, oil change, fd change,

Got a trip on next weekend

regards

paul

Rode about 150 miles from my house to Maricopa to Gila Bend and back. This is a great time of year to ride the desert roads in Southern AZ where it's too damned hot to ride in the summer.

Paul In Australia

Rode about 50 kms with new contact lens on my eyes. Never had them before. Great not having the glasses routine anymore. Need to keep shield in place as it feels like the wind will dry the contacts out.

Regards

Paul