IGNORED

Putting the G back in G/S

roadscholar

There were two Adv. groups (big bikes) at this year's N. Florida Polar Bear Rally in early January, A and B. Danny and Matt did a great job leading and sweeping the B group which was the larger and somewhat more 'user-friendly' of the two. No video of them but here is the

Been watching your weather woes on TV, relentless! I guess almost anything would be more fun than that. :grin:

Yep, that's Johnny Africa (from S. Africa), he piloted the Ural camera car rig last year and the Triumph XC on the 1st Trans-Fla. Also, the guy holding the helmet at the end is Kyle B, pretty sure he's a member here.

Here's a couple other vids, didn't get to meet these guys at the rally (I think we had about 160-170) but looks like they had a lot of fun. The second one is long but nice music and some funny commentary : ) Nicely documents the ferry crossing near the end too.

Been watching your weather woes on TV, relentless! I guess almost anything would be more fun than that. :grin:

Yep, that's Johnny Africa (from S. Africa)

Thought he looked familiar, seemed like an interesting guy for sure! :thumbsup:

Yup, figures the year I sell the sled we get hammered. Thanks for the vids, they help! :thumbsup:

Pat

Yup, figures the year I sell the sled we get hammered. Thanks for the vids, they help! :thumbsup:

Pat

On second thought, shoveling snow might be more fun than what these guys encountered on last year's Trans-Fla. ride, they took a slightly wrong turn! Pat you might appreciate this but I know some will say, "that's exactly why I don't ride a motorcycle off road". :grin:

Luckily they had a ratchet strap just long enough to reach a tree and eventually got back on route.

Wow, now that's what you call a friend! I'd probably have my brother lobbing rocks just to see if he could soak the inside of my helmet. :rofl:

I've done something similar to that on an old TS-185, I was by myself though. To this day I still don't know how I was able to drag that bike from the mud.

Pat

Shore: I retired, remember ?

Yup, remember. :thumbsup: My joke was...would you be filming from the shore or gopro-ing it from the mud-hole alongside of me? :grin:

BTW, are you staying in Virginia? :wave:

Pat

Alright no more sand, it's obvious people just don't want to talk about it. :grin:

Here's one for ya'll stuck in the great white North this year. Might as well enjoy it.

Edited by roadscholar

Well, at least there would be a "soft" landing if the bike decided to take a nap! :rofl:

Hey Pat, is this how it looks when you ride to work these days?

Would of sworn he had a track system mounted up. Must have been very fluffy snow because I tried that one time and it didn't work out so well.

Pat

Great.

No problem.

And maybe a drive thru donut window so we can calibrate radar detectors....

Bill,

I can only wish to ride off road like some of you bears.

:wave:

Great.

No problem.

And maybe a drive thru donut window so we can calibrate radar detectors....

Bill,

I can only wish to ride off road like some of you bears.

:wave:

It's not that hard Tim. Although a prerequisite is seemingly sub-standard intelligence (the suspending of logical thought, i.e. there's a decent chance you're going to hurt yourself). :grin:

Actually just a different mindset. Dirt naps happen fairly frequently and usually do light damage to bike or rider, although sometimes worst cases can result in a broken ankle, collarbone, or cracked ribs.

The best way to avoid hurting oneself is to roll as you hit the ground, and not put your hands or legs out to stop momentum. It deflects energy letting you gradually come to a stop.

Here's one that's an exception, not much he could do after leaving the trail. It has a little strong language but probably justified under the circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

If you're bored or stuck inside over the weekend you may be able to ride along vicariously on this. This is an experiment so we have no idea how it will work out :grin: but participants are awarded points for posting bonus photos DURING the event. Then again you may find it more boring than what you were already doing, I don't know. :)

I started the link back several pages for some background, pertinent info, and a little exposure for our sponsors.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031663&page=12

• 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

10-4 Pat. One of the few towns we route thru on day 1 and even fewer that have real food. I was concerned about where we'd get lunch on day 2 until I found this little nugget in Ft. White, surprisingly good. Nooner's Cafe, the entire motif is...you guessed it. :grin:

Betty opened Sunday just for us, we had about 85 come thru at intervals.

IMG_7307-XL.jpg

10-4 Pat. One of the few towns we route thru on day 1 and even fewer that have real food. I was concerned about where we'd get lunch on day 2 until I found this little nugget in Ft. White, surprisingly good. Nooner's Cafe, the entire motif is...you guessed it. :grin:

Betty opened Sunday just for us, we had about 85 come thru at intervals.

IMG_7307-XL.jpg

Thanks for the idea Bill, another place for me to try and add to the list. :wave:

roadscholar

I thought about you when posting that, i.e a good spot for Bernie and Co. Heck if you could get the Georgia gang down there I'd ride that far on a streetbike. :grin:

I thought about you when posting that, i.e a good spot for Bernie and Co. Heck if you could get the Georgia gang down there I'd ride that far on a streetbike. :grin:

You don't have to ride a street bike or a paved road to come to one of the SECFF lunches. There are plenty of dirt roads in GA. The idea behind SECFF is it gives folks a place to meet up for lunch, but you can get there anyway you like or take as long as they want too. :wave:

Keep in mind Alamo is in the middle of the woods. LOL

Edited by Bernie
roadscholar

I'm well aware of the concept, and believe we first discussed it at least ten or twelve years ago when you and I were doing the NEF rides. Glad you and Ken are making it happen. :thumbsup:

roadscholar

This isn't our group but one from the panhandle we hook up with from time to time.

My kind of group ride these days, and Vico does a nice job with the videos.

roadscholar

We interrupt this program for a special public service announcement. Next thing you know he'll need a Gelande Wagon or Range Rover. :grin:

Thinking some of those herbs of which he speaks may have lodged on top of that rig's hot manifold. :grin: That being said, a KTM 390 enduro might just be the perfect sized herb getter. :rofl:

Pat

roadscholar

Pat.. :grin:

Tim, super! :thumbsup:

Every year I spend some time in central Colorado, last year I was lucky enough to make it out three times, in May, July, and October. Over the next weeks I'll post some photos of those trips.

On the way there in May, things were looking iffy.

IMG_0857-L.jpg

IMG_0860-L.jpg

But soon my buddy Dave and I were off to some favorite haunts.

IMG_0884-XL.jpg

IMG_0888-XL.jpg

IMG_0893-XL.jpg

IMG_0898-XL.jpg

IMG_0925-XL.jpg

]

Hwy 50. See the trail on the right side, it's the old RR bed, perfect two-track for an adv bike or dual-sport.

IMG_0916-XL.jpg

There's a road that goes over that ridge but but didn't look too inviting just yet. We'll come back to it later.

IMG_0931-XL.jpg

roadscholar

Every time we'd get to about 9 or 10,000' it looked like this.

IMG_1024-XL.jpg

IMG_1052-XL.jpg

IMG_1057-XL.jpg

Mt. Shavano or Tabequache in the background, either way a 14-er.

IMG_1040-XL.jpg

Not long after this we came out on 50, Dave went north back to the campground and I went down the mtn. a mile or so to get cell service.

IMG_1061-XL.jpg

I called Larry who was still in Torrey and told him where I was, he said Calvin (no socks) ought to be coming thru there any time. I started heading back and in just a minute or so I see a headlight coming down the pass. I waved but he didn't notice cause there were deer in the road. I turned around and caught up tho and told him we'd pick him up for dinner in town. Big place, small world.

IMG_1070-XL.jpg

I called Larry who was still in Torrey and told him where I was, he said Calvin (no socks) ought to be coming thru there any time. I started heading back and in just a minute or so I see a headlight coming down the pass. I waved but he didn't notice cause there were deer in the road. I turned around and caught up tho and told him we'd pick him up for dinner in town. Big place, small world.

IMG_1070-XL.jpg

Hell, I don't even see him In Jax. Guess I need to get out more. :P

roadscholar
Thinking about opening a Starbucks with a dirt driveway for y'all.

:P

Tim, I got a customer for ya..

Danny, there's a new one opening in Mandarin, we could meet up for some seriously overpriced coffee to go with our $900. jackets. :grin:

That's what I'm talking about!

:thumbsup:

Drive up window will need some whoop-de-doos and maybe a water crossing.

roadscholar

This just surfaced from the Trans-Fla. ride a few weeks ago. Keep in mind these guys are young, a little crazy (fearless), and bounce well. But, as most adventurers eventually discover, "a man has to know his limitations" : )

This just surfaced from the Trans-Fla. ride a few weeks ago. Keep in mind these guys are young, a little crazy (fearless), and bounce well. But, as most adventurers eventually discover, "a man has to know his limitations" : )

Fun video.

Somebody help the GS guy out of the swamp. :D

roadscholar

Somebody help the GS guy out of the swamp. :D

Yeah I think he got in the wrong group. :grin:

Loved the guy on the Electraglide going the other way, almost as fast..

roadscholar

Meandering off target a little (will get back to it), it's fun to keep an eye on where the state of the art is.