IGNORED

Putting the G back in G/S

roadscholar

This just surfaced from the Trans-Fla. ride a few weeks ago. Keep in mind these guys are young, a little crazy (fearless), and bounce well. But, as most adventurers eventually discover, "a man has to know his limitations" : )

Ya know, I remember catching flack for not taking a certain bridge. Now these clowns are heroes? hmmm.gif

It's okay, I can deal with it. I'll call my crossing "inspiration". :grin:

roadscholar

Ok you're right, this thread is worthless without those pics, but this is it. :)

goin in :lurk:

IMG_3366_8-L.jpg

the agony :eek:

IMG_3370_12-L.jpg

oh really, there's a bridge? :dopeslap:

IMG_3375_13-L.jpg

all's well that ends well :Cool::clap:

IMG_3379_17-L.jpg

While I was rootin around in there I came across this classic too. :grin:

IMG_1953_18-L.jpg

Edited by roadscholar
lawnchairboy

I watched David and whip spend more time off their 500's than on going up to Antora meadows one day....

The DR went over once, but it was a bitch to pick up at 12k.

While I was rootin around in there I came across this classic too. :grin:

IMG_1953_18-L.jpg

That was a fun ride. But I don't care whom says what, the Quota is not an adventure bike.

Then again, there's that 1100RT that finished on street tars. :Cool:

IMG_3370_12-L.jpg

That's not agony. It's the realization that my boot is filling with cold Tennessee creek water.

Well...that & the vision that if my foot slips, I & the GS are flooded. :P

roadscholar

They must've been having a bad day because I don't remember Dave having any problems the day we went. Antora Meadows in July, lots of pics (I get easily side-tracked) : )

IMG_2132-L.jpg

I went down once on that little uphill 180, hit a big rock while looking back down the trail to see if we had everybody (that's my story).

This looks like the spot in your video where ya'll were having problems. In Colorado they have an acronym for this, MSTIL (much steeper than it looks).

IMG_2123-L.jpg

This was at the 180

IMG_2126-L.jpg

This old mine was kind of cool

IMG_2138-L.jpg

IMG_2141-L.jpg

I think Colorado has the right idea, fences keep the cows out, not in.

IMG_2160-L.jpg

Thank you sir.

IMG_2167-L.jpg

No, this man was on his game all day.

IMG_2173-L.jpg

IMG_2180-L.jpg

IMG_2187-L.jpg

Everybody made it up "the hill" first try

IMG_2201-L.jpg

IMG_2204-L.jpg

Except Jimmy on the DR650

IMG_2214-L.jpg

So Scott and Dave kept going back down and up the hill to check on him :grin:

IMG_2211-L.jpg

IMG_2210-L.jpg

Or maybe this is why those guys were riding instead of walking up and down the hill (12,000' in full gear) : ) Dave, Alex, and Chris

IMG_2217-L.jpg

Anyway, took a break and had lunch

IMG_2234-L.jpg

IMG_2237-L.jpg

We made two versions of this pic, this isn't the one we put on Advrider. :grin:

IMG_2245-L.jpg

IMG_2248-L.jpg

IMG_2260-L.jpg

IMG_2285-L.jpg

Scott and Alex

IMG_2288-L.jpg

then heading back down

IMG_2301-L.jpg

we ran into Josh who was out celebrating his 21st birthday

IMG_2308-L.jpg

who showed us the shortcut down, Dave said he could keep him in sight, but we have no way of knowing that for sure : )

IMG_2309-L.jpg

Anyway it definitely fell into the top ten category of riding days.

IMG_2324-L.jpg

IMG_2331-L.jpg

roadscholar

IMG_3370_12-L.jpg

That's not agony. It's the realization that my boot is filling with cold Tennessee creek water.

Right, that's what I meant. The agony of da feet. :wave:

IMG_3370_12-L.jpg

Right, that's what I meant. The agony of da feet. :wave:

Very funny. :grin:

roadscholar

Nothing to be ashamed of, neither did Edd.

053-L.jpg

He got stopped halfway up then took a novel approach, he just zig-zagged the side of the hill the rest of the way : ) I felt real lucky to make it both times I tried.

IMG_2199-L.jpg

Nothing to be ashamed of, neither did Edd.

The 29 year old Honda and the 63 year old rider needed to find a way to compensate for those 92 total years.

I got stopped, then started again only to be bounced off the trail. Once I had a little momentum I pinned the little 250 and made a sweeping arc to the top.

orig.jpg

roadscholar

026-L.jpg

Now that I think of it that was probably your only option because I had both the DRZ and the WR pretty much pinned in 1st and just trying to hang on! I still can't believe we were up there at the same time and missed each other.

lawnchairboy

I'm sure someone with mad skilz could muscle a big GS up to antora meadows and the steep loose crap you have to go through to get there.

God help them when they inevitably would have to pick up the &*^$%! whale. Then again, fuel injection would have most certainly been helpful on "the hill". Probably wouldn't been enough to overcome my lack of skill!

I believe I could get that big pig just about anywhere......its just so much more enjoyable doing it on the proper equipment.

Some of the best motorcycling pictures ever put out, right there! :thumbsup: Not sure what order it will show but the X-Challenge doing wheelie up the dune makes me miss this view, a bit.

100_7299.jpg

Pat

I don't miss that damn air shock.

Bingo! That thing _ucked and was probably the reason I traded it for the GS.

Or....maybe, smiley-think005.gif it was some guyBill on the Internet posting beautiful Colorado backcountry photos that undoubtedly coaxed some of us east-coasters west. ;) Man, I do hope he got his commission! :grin:

Pat

roadscholar
Mostly new set of revolving photos on Adv.

http://www.advrider.com/

Adrian%20B-S.jpg

It's hard to find a seat that fits your ass...

Good one Larry, one of my favorite shots of the bunch!

Yep guys, the old air shock was the Achilles heel of that bike, woulda been great otherwise. :dopeslap:

Pat, the check never showed, must've gotten derailed in the postal systm. :grin:

Here's one more vid from the PB that was just posted.

roadscholar

Back to last May, in Colorado Dave and I kept getting turned back at about the 10k' level from snowpack, so we figured it would be a good time to lose some altitude. Neither of us had been to Moab other than passing thru so Moab it was. On the way, there were two things I wanted to see but we only enough time to fit one of them in. One's a road that's part of a 1400 mile Colorado D/S loop I've been working on called Land's End I need to check out, so far I've only ridden about half of the loop. It runs up the side of Grand Mesa from US50. We could unload the bikes and make a run up and back, but had no idea how long it would take. As you can see it looks interesting.

google maps

The other was to drive thru the Colorado Monument which in the end, won out and proved to be worthwhile. When you get to be an old geezer (over 65) stuff like this is almost free, and besides it looked like a shortcut...Not. :grin:

IMG_1077-XL.jpg

IMG_1079-XL.jpg

This is where Colorado turns into Utah, geographically and geologically.

IMG_1080-XL.jpg

IMG_1081-XL.jpg

IMG_1082-XL.jpg

IMG_1083-XL.jpg

We ran into Justin and company of Butler Maps at a gas stop in Fruita. He remembered talking to both Dave and I at different times on the phone. They were on their way back from the Overland Expo in Arizona and weren't at all happy about how the Pinzgauer had been treating them on the interstate. :grin:

IMG_1086-XL.jpg

The Colorado at dusk, just getting warmed up for it's amazing journey through southern Utah and Arizona.

IMG_1087-XL.jpg

roadscholar

Dave had been reading up on the Moab area on Advrider and found a thread by Bigdog who said, if you only do one thing there, ride the White Rim trail. All we had to do was find it. Actually it wasn't that hard plus we discovered our rig was just short enough to park in one of the 15 or 20 spots at the visitor center. This is fairly significant on a DS bike with a stock tank because anything bigger has to park about 20 miles away and the loop itself is 100 miles. The math isn't favorable.

IMG_1092-XL.jpg

Dave is a great guy to ride with because he is always prepared. He carried our lunch, extra fuel, all kinds of tools, probably protection (I don't ask-he doesn't say) : ) extra batteries, camera, and who knows what else.

IMG_1096-XL.jpg

Me, I travel light.. :grin:

IMG_1128-XL.jpg

When we pulled up here I was thinking, man what a cool road down there.

IMG_1099-XL.jpg

Then it dawned on me that it was our road! You can make out the white rim along the canyons edge, thus the name.

IMG_1102-XL.jpg

The whole thing is a big peninsula cut off by the Colorado and Green Rivers at their confluence. Again, you can see the white rim which the trail basically follows.

google maps

The Shafer switchbacks take you down.

IMG_1108-XL.jpg

IMG_1111-XL.jpg

IMG_1113-XL.jpg

The place just keeps going and going, it is a real eye opener.

IMG_1117-XL.jpg

IMG_1118-XL.jpg

We saw few other people on the route, mainly cyclists, it takes them 2 or 3 days, some of them have support vehicles they meet at days end.

IMG_1122-XL.jpg

We'd stop every once in awhile for a break or to take pictures

IMG_1127-XL.jpg

roadscholar

IMG_1133-XL.jpg

IMG_1149-XL.jpg

IMG_1151-XL.jpg

IMG_1154-XL.jpg

IMG_1165-XL.jpg

IMG_1173-XL.jpg

IMG_1174-XL.jpg

Had we been thinking we'd have had lunch here because it is the only shade the entire trip, although temps were comfortable in the low 80's.

IMG_1180-XL.jpg

I zoomed in a little on some shots because the camera falls short of conveying the vastness.

IMG_1184-XL.jpg

IMG_1185-XL.jpg

IMG_1186-XL.jpg

This was our lunch stop

IMG_1188-XL.jpg

I think this is close to where the the Colorado and Green River converge. With telephoto.

IMG_1192-XL.jpg

And without.

IMG_1190-XL.jpg

roadscholar

You definitely should Mike it is more impressive in person. And it's quite doable on a big bike with average skills, it was just easier for us to transport the small ones over there. :thumbsup:

roadscholar

IMG_1196-XL.jpg

IMG_1197-XL.jpg

We finally reached the Green River

IMG_1202-XL.jpg

and rode along next to it for quite a ways

IMG_1206-XL.jpg

then up onto another plateau

IMG_1207-XL.jpg

IMG_1212-XL.jpg

IMG_1215-XL.jpg

and back down to that road

IMG_1216-XL.jpg

then the climb up and out

IMG_1217-XL.jpg

and the 15 or 20 mile slog back to base

IMG_1222-XL.jpg

All in all a memorable day of riding and highly recommended. It was almost exactly 100 mile loop from the visitor center and took us 5 hours and 45 minutes, which from reports appears to be on the quick side but we didn't take any side trips. We never had to refuel but the DRZ was on reserve the last 20 miles and the WR's low fuel light came on near the end, so that is something to consider. Thanks for riding along, hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

IMG_1094-L.jpg

"We never had to refuel but the DRZ was on reserve the last 20 miles and the WR's low fuel light came on near the end, so that is something to consider."

That surprises me. Do you know what type of mileage you get? On my recent ride to the remote edge of the Grand Canyon I got 58.4 mpg and didn't hit reserve until 144 miles or so with the stock tank.

I'm going to do a longer off-road ride on my KLX300 to see what I can expect out of it. That bike has a small tank and doesn't lend itself to carrying my one gallon Rotopax.

roadscholar

I don't Edd, seems like there are several factors, probably the big one is how you ride it. I've never heard of a DR650 going that far on fuel so you're doing something right. I have seen them run out between 120 and 130, although that included some speedy highway use. I've gotten 140 out of the WR (about 70mpg) on 50-50 dirt and highway w/o running out but it seems to be less on all dirt particularly using higher rpm's.

The DRZ400 evidently doesn't do nearly as well but it's set up for sea level. It seems there's no magic formula but as far as the KLX you might try carrying several small fuel bottles. One of the girls we ride with here buys Sea Foam because it comes in metal bottles and she uses them for fuel containers on her DRZ, which I thought was a great idea. Maybe you could tie-wrap a couple to the sub frame somewhere.

Part of the DR650's good mileage was due to the road surface...some areas of sand that were difficult to spot, some hardened truck ruts, and especially the areas of washboard. These conditions kept my speed down and mileage up, though the DR650 has always given me at least 50 mpg.

I need to look into the fuel bottle idea.

roadscholar

Thanks gents!

Temporarily heading back down South for a DS run before returning to Colorado (where I think there is actually a GS involved). :grin:

Perry Mountain is one of the most southern mountains in the Appalachian chain and Perry Mtn. Motorcycle Club is one of the older DS clubs in the country. A little history.

http://perrymountain.com/about.asp

The Pensacola Area Riders along with a PMMC member organize a weekend ride in early April each year, here is a video. I didn't make it this year but plan to, it looks like fun.

Edited by roadscholar
roadscholar

Fun day of riding guys (we picked up Keith after lunch too). No pics though, my camera inexplicably jumped off the Tallulahatchee bridge. :(

Oh if anyone wondered, the water wasn't as cold as it looked. :grin:

roadscholar

Well I did get a few shots of Steve and Chris crossing the Tallulah River with my phone.

IMG_0597-L.jpg

IMG_0598-L.jpg

You have to ride down the river a ways because the two roads aren't across from each other.

IMG_0599-L.jpg

IMG_0600-L.jpg

IMG_0601-L.jpg

IMG_0602-L.jpg

IMG_0603-L.jpg

IMG_0604-L.jpg