Quote:

I transferred the old fluid from the catch bag back into the now empty bottle and tossed it into the garbage.

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forgetting for the moment that I have an obligation to report illegal hazardous waste dumping, I feel compelled to remind you that if you are caught illegally dumping HazMat, the fines can range upwards of $1000.00 (in California, at least).

Every city is obligated to provide you a way to safely dispose of your Household Hazardous Waste. I would contact your local municipality or county waste authority and find out where you can take it. The Fire Station is also a good place to start if you can't get the answers from the desk jockys on the other end of the phone.

My current bugaboo is M/C tire disposal. There are places to take car tires to be recycled, but they don't take M/C tires. You can throw them in the regular garbage if you first cut them into 12" sections (they float to the top in landfills!), but the steel beads are a pain to cut through and cutting through that much rubber is a smelly, stinky mess. A local M/C shop may start taking tires from non-tire customers for a nominal charge, but so far I'm letting them pile up for a while!