Gelande, Strasse, nicht wasser.

:wave:

Neue nass kopf modell?

:Cool:

Nein! Testa Rossa :)

036-M.jpg

Gelande/Wasser, nein strasse :grin:

roadscholar

We talked about both of them. #4 was off Standing Indian, in that vid we'd taken a wrong fork (actually two) which ended up being a very long dead end, although no one complained : ) #7 was Charlie's Creek Rd. on the other side of the river. We'd come to a fairly steep spot with some nasty ruts and the boys didn't want to risk the big girls ( I don't blame them), so we were heading back.

did you ride Germany RD? is so how is that road. Current plan is to head up memorial day weekend and ride the whole area. getting some good information on some great roads, east and west of Dillard, GA.

roadscholar
did you ride Germany RD? is so how is that road.

Yes, it's smooth as glass, between it and the east end of Warwoman could be the best 3 miles of asphalt in Ga.

roadscholar

Alright, flattery will get you no...well, some more pictures.

IMG_0549-L.jpg

I believe it rained pretty much all night but by the time we got going the pavement was starting to dry. First stop Subway for some sammies to go, then up the Highlands road. I'd lost my pretty decent camera the day before when we stopped on a bridge for a shot down the Tallulah River. As I was getting off the bike the camera fell out of my jacket, hit the seat, went thru a 4x12 inch slot in the railing, and bounced off a perfectly angled boulder 30 feet below into the middle of the wide and fast moving river, the odds were astounding. It all happened in a flash, but I had grabbed a not-that-great back-up when I left the house, so this is better than nothing. I compensated by taking a lot of pictures. :)

IMG_0429-L.jpg

IMG_0423-L.jpg

Went through a cloud..

IMG_0436-L.jpg

IMG_0442-L.jpg

got the cats herded up for the mini-waterfall pose, you can tell they were really happy about it. :grin:

IMG_0445-L.jpg

IMG_0448-L.jpg

then headed south on a forest road back into Georgia.

IMG_0453-L.jpg

IMG_0455-L.jpg

it's kinda pretty down in there.

IMG_0458-L.jpg

IMG_0462-L.jpg

and then we emptied out on the good end of Warwoman Rd.

IMG_0467-L.jpg

IMG_0469-L.jpg

IMG_0472-L.jpg

I think Keith was starting to dig the Husky along here.

IMG_0476-L.jpg

IMG_0485-L.jpg

roadscholar

By now some have may have figured out where we're headed. We took a north on 28 back into N.C. then veered east bypassing Highlands down into the Horse Cove valley.

IMG_0489-L.jpg

IMG_0492-L.jpg

IMG_0493-L.jpg

IMG_0502-L.jpg

IMG_0520-L.jpg

Where we reached he Chatooga River. On some days you might think you hear the faint sound of banjo music off in the woods, the movie 'Deliverance' was filmed not far down river. Or you might think back further to when the Cherokee Indians lived in this beautiful remote wilderness. Or possibly millions of years ago when the river helped shape this part of the Appalachians, maybe the oldest mountain range on Earth. Also Ellicott Rock Wilderness is nearby, the survey point where the three states come together. For me it is a special place, been coming here a long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattooga_River

IMG_0518-L.jpg

IMG_0519-L.jpg

IMG_0523-L.jpg

Then it was down to the S.C. border, up thru Cashiers and the beltway around Highlands.

IMG_0525-L.jpg

IMG_0527-L.jpg

IMG_0528-L.jpg

IMG_0532-L.jpg

Picked up a few more riders while being detained quite awhile by a nice little old lady in her Mercury.

IMG_0542-L.jpg

But made it back to Dillard safe and sound, all in all a really nice day of back and forth between dirt and twisties, which I think is my favorite kind of riding, particularly with the company of some stellar riding companions. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

IMG_0543-L.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bill - great pictures and ride report! You should post this again under "Ride Tales" so more people will view it. :thumbsup:

roadscholar

Thanks Bob. I don't know I think the ones interested will find it alright, it's sort of an ongoing story of getting off the beaten path and why some of us ride adventure and dualsport bikes.

I would like to see some others contribute their off-roading sagas, be it good, bad, or ugly. It's really all good.

I would like to see some others contribute their off-roading sagas, be it good, bad, or ugly. It's really all good.

Helped my buddy Mitch bang out some break-in miles today on his new Tiger. Nice bike, Triumph! :thumbsup:

Success Pond Rd outside of Berlin NH.

image.jpg1_zpsibu6zc6i.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsaulg0jts.jpg

The GS seems to find good BBQ almost every time I take it out. I should fix that, naw! :grin:

image.jpg1_zpspwmldrtd.jpg

Yes, it was really good! :clap:

image.jpg3_zpsirruxcb3.jpg

Pat

I love the exo-skeleton armor over mesh.

Gives him a Power Ranger look as well!

IMG_1096-XL.jpg

Thanks for posting the ride report. I've stood at the top of the rim and wished I was on a bike and not in the cage.

Edited by Bud
roadscholar

Nice Pat, looks like some great dirt/forest roads in that area. Was looking on the map and noticed The Unorganized Territory of South Oxford, sounds like my kind of place. :grin: Love the parking lot Q palace and outdoor Coke machine, perfect adventure food. :thumbsup:

Bud, the White Rim is a scenic ride, if ya come through Salida sometime I'll loan you a lightweight bike to do it on. That guy Dave is my main riding buddy, he always has the coolest equipment/gear. The goofy tail bag setup was my idea not his. :grin:

I did have the GoPro but was a little too tired to hobble something together last night. If I do, I promise to keep it short. An almost AFV moment happened at the Q stop that I was going to keep quiet but what the heck I'll tell you, Bill. :grin:

I set the camera on the table to try and capture us enjoying lunch. Just as I was reaching for # 1 rib, the picnic table bench broke. I fell on my arse but was able to tuck and roll and jump up all in one motion. Two elderly couples sitting at the next table stood and applauded. :clap::grin: I checked the camera after regrouping and sure enough, the camera died just before the bench broke. :dopeslap:

Pat

roadscholar

I set the camera on the table to try and capture us enjoying lunch. Just as I was reaching for # 1 rib, the picnic table bench broke. I fell on my arse but was able to tuck and roll and jump up all in one motion. Two elderly couples sitting at the next table stood and applauded. :clap::grin: I checked the camera after regrouping and sure enough, the camera died just before the bench broke. :dopeslap:

Pat

Aww I hate it when that happens. Sounds like you ordered one too many ribs. :grin:

Sounds like you ordered one too many ribs. :grin:

It was not so much the extra rib that time but the many extras that came before it. :rofl:

Pat

Sorry about the crappy quality of the picture. YouTube takes away many pixels on the upload. Or, could just be I have no idea what I'm doing. :D

It's not too long anyway. I had the Strasse vid all done this morning an the darn computer froze up on me! :dopeslap:

Pat

roadscholar

Good stuff Pat, nice scenery and terrain, watch out for those slow movin varmints. :)

A couple of videos after yours this one popped up, it's one of the best instructional videos I've seen, although have only seen one other : )

ANYONE, if you've even considered taking a GS off-road, watch this! At least the first few drills (they get more technical as it progresses), it is long (45 min) but well worth it. Any level, novice to experienced, can benefit and Jim Hyde does a great job of explaining.

Then a little practice and bingo you're Marc Coma. :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbNSWOZazaA

roadscholar

A couple of videos after Pat's this one popped up, it's one of the best instructional videos I've seen, although I've only seen one other : )

ANYONE, if you've even considered taking a GS off-road, watch this! At least the first few drills (they get more technical as it progresses), it is long (45 min) but well worth it. Any level, novice to experienced, can benefit and Jim Hyde does a great job of explaining.

Then a little practice and bingo you're Marc Coma...Not :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbNSWOZazaA

Edit: Title change.

Edited by roadscholar

Not quite as fancy as Smokin' Good's orange trailer in Maine, but, some pretty good BBQ can be found in VT. too. :grin:

100_2499.jpg

Pat

You can kinda tell not quiet as adventurous by the type of motorsickles parked in the pic but, Curtis is due for another visit sometime before the snow fly's again. :thumbsup:

IMG_1036.jpg

Pat

Hoping to do a cook what you can carry in early July, adventure bike style though. :thumbsup:

Pictureday4540.jpg

Pat

roadscholar
You can kinda tell not quiet as adventurous by the type of motorsickles parked in the pic but, Curtis is due for another visit sometime before the snow fly's again. :thumbsup:

IMG_1036.jpg

Pat

Hey I know that tall guy, man he gets around. Kyle posted a video awhile back but it is worth repeating, heck it could spawn a whole new segment. Big bike blues. :grin:

Edited by roadscholar

Yeah, he rode up to say hi to a family member or something like that. Timing worked out and we met for coffee and then on to the Q meet, or meat. :grin:

Pat

Somebody needs to post pics of the general store in pitkin.

I know I have a few from when we stopped there. I still remember the ridiculous amount of humming birds that were buzzing around everywhere.

roadscholar

015-L.jpg

I probably have others but this was a make-up ride for Edd after he missed the Unrally. Still determined to get Whip up Cumberland and Alpine Tunnel (tried twice now : ) ) so he can enjoy the cuisine and scenery. They've got nice outdoor covered seating and a grill now that can accommodate a group. Food's quite good too.

313-L.jpg

roadscholar

Smokin D's US1 at SR206, good stuff.

046-L.jpg

Take out only so you need to get creative. :grin:

042-L.jpg

Haha, thought the food nose trick thing was a Wolfgang / Carson exclusive! :grin:

042-L.jpg

And let us not forget the go anywhere Spamburger. :P

spamBurger-KCOR.jpg

Pat

lawnchairboy

brothers day weekend 2015

G0110524-M.jpg

sorry, apparent technical difficulties in posting the video and making it work...

Edited by lawnchairboy
lawnchairboy

that did the trick I think...

thanks Craig, Matt, and Alan. an enjoyable weekend.

G0110524-M.jpg

roadscholar
Haha, thought the food nose trick thing was a Wolfgang / Carson exclusive! :grin:

042-L.jpg

One would think : )

724-L.jpg

roadscholar
that was a lot of fun yesterday on the gravel. I'm ready to go do it again!

Good stuff fellas looked like a great weekend, nice to see Alan and Craig out in the woods too. :thumbsup:

A few of us were in Dillard two weeks ago riding around also, hard to get enough of those roads. A few pics:

IMG_0589-L.jpg

IMG_0603-L.jpg

IMG_0609-L.jpg

IMG_0601-L.jpg

IMG_0627-L.jpg

IMG_0625-L.jpg

roadscholar

And more from day 2, headed over Patterson Gap

IMG_0632-L.jpg

Tallulah River, this bridge is where I lost my camera at START, it went thru that slot the railing. :dopeslap:

IMG_0643-L.jpg

Mike lovin the new ride

IMG_0649-L.jpg

IMG_0659-L.jpg

Don't remember why some were walking and others riding, must've been something :grin:

IMG_0667-L.jpg

IMG_0668-L.jpg

No worries, they weren't open yet

IMG_0672-L.jpg

This is a great road over Tusquitee Gap thru a fairly large wilderness area (and is partly where Eric Rudolph hid out for so long).

IMG_0677-L.jpg

Although at the north end we found a locked gate so we had to improvise a little.

IMG_0683-L.jpg

Craig gettin a little lazy :grin:

IMG_0705-L.jpg

Had lunch at the Burger Basket in Andrews (mmm good burgers, great catfish) then crossed the Nantahala and up Winding Stairs (thanks Ken for letting me know it's open again).

IMG_0708-XL.jpg

IMG_0710-L.jpg

IMG_0729-L.jpg

Then over Tellico Gap

IMG_0734-L.jpg

The mother of powerline roads (or maybe Old Monarch Pass, hard to say)

IMG_0747-L.jpg

IMG_0756-L.jpg

Made it to Cafe Rel too early for dinner so we took back roads almost into Ga. again and rode Standing Indian south to north and then old 64 into Franklin.

IMG_0759-L.jpg

One extremely fun forest road.

IMG_0761-L.jpg

IMG_0769-L.jpg

As always dinner was superb, as was the riding.

We did have a mishap on Friday, one of the guys got a little wide on a downhill switchback was sucked in the ditch and went down trying to ride it out (BTDT). Broke both bones in his ankle, we got him into Cherokee Indian Hospital they fixed him up and one of the other guys drove him home Saturday. Had surgery the next day and is recovering nicely, and planning on riding from Colorado to the MOA Rally in Billings this July.

Well, it took me a while to put this video together of Chris, Matt, Alan, and me sharing our "Brothers' Day Weekend." Had quite a few technical problems to include finding the culprit of a long-standing intermittent problem on my desktop computer ... a loose power supply cable. Really nagging problem that was causing un-commanded reboots at the worst times.

Here's the link:

Brothers%27%20Day%20Wknd%20%28720%20HD%29-L.jpg

Edited by TyTass

The link seems to be bogged down worse than an overweight GS, and its operator, foot paddling through let's see, approximately eight inches of Florida sugar sand. :eek:

Bill, yes, that left a mark! :rofl:

Could just be an iPad thing, I'll check later.

Pat