This was originally posted on January 22, 2016.

I got a call from Michelle at the Chuckwagon Lodge in Torrey, UT. Apparently the word has spread around the globe as to what a wonderful place Torrey is, the Chuckwagon in particular, and how it's centrally located to so many scenic areas. So she's been getting swamped with reservation requests for spring/summer/fall of 2017 already! German tourists, French tourists, Italian tourists, Scandinavian tourists, and of course we good old American tourists.

So she has asked me to confirm that we're going to have both a Spring Torrey event and a Fall Torrey event in 2017. Now that Chuckwagon patriarch Randy Austin has passed away, Michelle is helping Randy's son Jamie, and son-in-law Mike, keep the place humming just like it did when Randy was in charge. And, as we all know, the Austin family has been incredibly generous and hospitable to BMWST members.

Right now, she just wants to know if we're coming, so she can block those weekends. If they're blocked, the tourists will come before us and after us, but on those two weekends, we'll have the area a lot more to ourselves. So I've confirmed with her the following dates:

Spring Torrey 2017
May 18 - 21.

This is Thurs-Sun (with departure on Sunday). Officially, Torrey is a Fri/Sat/Sun event, and arriving on Friday is fine. But some people like to arrive on Thurs so they're ready to go riding first thing on Friday. Therefore, we've blocked Thursday as well.

Fall Torrey 2017
September 21 - 24.

This is Thurs-Sun for the same reasons stated above.

Now, the reason I bring this up so early is not to get any commitments to be at these events. However, it would be a good idea for members to start planning now, to make mental notes of the days, and to come and enjoy with your BMW friends an area that is getting a worldwide reputation for its spectacular beauty and appeal. And of course, for its wonderful and challenging roads.

If you want to get in a beautiful scenic western U.S. ride, meet up with friends and see what the world wants to come to Torrey to see, put a mental checkmark on those dates. As we get closer to the actual events, reservations will open and you'll all be able to get rooms at the CW (if you are quick). But for now, I just wanted you to know that the world apparently wants to go to Torrey, but we've got it blocked on those weekends just for us.

Cary, Gleno, Rodger, Paul,
Godspeed, my brothers.
We will never forget you.

Teach your children about taxes. Eat 40% of their ice cream cone.

Do you have a MotoReflective Reflective Kit (Link) for the rear of your BMW?