IGNORED

Spring and Fall Torrey 2017. YES, 2017!!!!!

This was originally posted on January 22, 2016.

I got a call from Michelle at the Chuckwagon Lodge in Torrey, UT. Apparently the word has spread around the globe as to what a wonderful place Torrey is, the Chuckwagon in particular, and how it's centrally located to so many scenic areas. So she's been getting swamped with reservation requests for spring/summer/fall of 2017 already! German tourists, French tourists, Italian tourists, Scandinavian tourists, and of course we good old American tourists.

So she has asked me to confirm that we're going to have both a Spring Torrey event and a Fall Torrey event in 2017. Now that Chuckwagon patriarch Randy Austin has passed away, Michelle is helping Randy's son Jamie, and son-in-law Mike, keep the place humming just like it did when Randy was in charge. And, as we all know, the Austin family has been incredibly generous and hospitable to BMWST members.

Right now, she just wants to know if we're coming, so she can block those weekends. If they're blocked, the tourists will come before us and after us, but on those two weekends, we'll have the area a lot more to ourselves. So I've confirmed with her the following dates:

Spring Torrey 2017

May 18 - 21.

This is Thurs-Sun (with departure on Sunday). Officially, Torrey is a Fri/Sat/Sun event, and arriving on Friday is fine. But some people like to arrive on Thurs so they're ready to go riding first thing on Friday. Therefore, we've blocked Thursday as well.

Fall Torrey 2017

September 21 - 24.

This is Thurs-Sun for the same reasons stated above.

Now, the reason I bring this up so early is not to get any commitments to be at these events. However, it would be a good idea for members to start planning now, to make mental notes of the days, and to come and enjoy with your BMW friends an area that is getting a worldwide reputation for its spectacular beauty and appeal. And of course, for its wonderful and challenging roads.

If you want to get in a beautiful scenic western U.S. ride, meet up with friends and see what the world wants to come to Torrey to see, put a mental checkmark on those dates. As we get closer to the actual events, reservations will open and you'll all be able to get rooms at the CW (if you are quick). But for now, I just wanted you to know that the world apparently wants to go to Torrey, but we've got it blocked on those weekends just for us.

Good job Nando.

Torrey was full all summer last year, pretty much from May to mid October. The Mighty Five ad campaign (5 National parks) by the State Tourism people was amazing and showed all over Europe, then at the end of the year Fodor rated Southern Utah as the Number 1 destination in the world!

As some of you know I drive commercial 4x4 trips in the Capitol Reef area, last year they continued into November, we had only ever had a couple in October before. I'm already booked for one in early February! It's going to be a busy year and 2017 is apparently going to be no different.

Thanks for the heads up.

Its been a couple years since my last Torrey,so planning for this year or next.

One of my all time favorite riding areas:thumbsup:

JR356

Edited by JR356

Time to move the venue. When u start calling something Paradise everybody shows up and you end up with Palm Springs. Or Jackson Hole. Or Scottsdale. Or Sturgis. I say move it up the road to Fish Lake. The Euros will show up at the Chuckwagon and go "What zee hell?"

• 2 months later...

Visitation is already picking up, the park counts vehicles in a number of places, at the visitor center the March numbers were up from 7,824 last year (a record), to 9,845 this year.

What really amazes me is that traffic at the north entrance (above Cathedral Valley) is up from 146 last year to 248 this year in March - I haven't even been through that counter yet this year!

• 2 weeks later...
JerryMather
I was over there last week. There was no shortage of people.

dc

That's sad to hear. Too many cars make for a less enjoyable ride if your used to it being the way it was not that long ago (our secret spot ). Oh well, it'll still be beautiful as always & the get togethers are great fun.

What really amazes me is that traffic at the north entrance (above Cathedral Valley) is up from 146 last year to 248 this year in March - I haven't even been through that counter yet this year!

I found out what this was about, there was an antler shed hunt up there with a lot of vehicles.

• 2 months later...

I spoke with Michelle recently, and will be having dinner with her and her husband on the first night of my trip to Salida just before the Un. She says she has a few rooms left for Spring 2017, and that Fall 2017 is starting to fill up.

Again, not pushing for people to book needlessly, but if you know these dates are clear on your calendar, and you are planning on going, I do suggest you give her a call at the Chuckwagon.

• 4 months later...

I believe they are booked up at the Chuckwagon. Is there an alternate place to stay of good repute? Sounds like a great spring destination.

Larry

• 2 months later...

I've mentioned it before, but I will not be at Spring Torrey. Two grandchildren are graduating from college, one from Columbia Law the other getting her Masters in a teaching specialty, and those ceremonies are on the same week. What with travel to/from NYC, there's just no way for me to sneak in a weekend getaway.

My plans are to be at Fall Torrey, as well as to go so far as Whip's pre-Un gathering in Salida this summer. I'll stay in Colorado, though, and attend to some business I have there.

I believe they are booked up at the Chuckwagon. Is there an alternate place to stay of good repute? Sounds like a great spring destination.

Larry

The SchoolHouse is just a stone's throw away and recommended, although a bit pricey. GREAT BREAKFAST!

Any chance on scuff kits being available by Spring Torrey? :)

They may be available by Spring Torrey, but they won't be available at Spring Torrey, since I unfortunately won't be attending until Fall Torrey.

• 3 weeks later...
Aufevermike

See you guys at the Chuckwagon on Saturday only.My wife and I will be coming in from Moab. then head to Vegas on Sunday.

• 4 weeks later...
Danny caddyshack Noonan

In for Spring with my fav pillion. Looking forward to meeting all of you people to prove you aren't digital ghosts. Sort of the same for me!

It's getting closer! Yesterday, my daughter and I saw this Utah tourism video on TV (Utah: The Road To Mighty). How many places do you recognize?

Cathedral Valley even makes a brief appearance!

Here's a picture (stolen from my brother Rick) to whet your appetite.

32812174685_221b01b092_c.jpgFall Torrey 2013 by rick vegas, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Indy Dave

if you act quickly - you might could get my room for Spring 2017 Torrey at the Chuckwagon! Just 2 mins ago cancelled.

Good luck!

Any idea of a head count? I plan to make and bring brisket, if the head count is low enough. Last time, I made WAY too much pork shoulder. I could have brought half the amount.

• 2 months later...

Not much chatter out there about Fall Torrey. Here, in SW Ohio the hot humid weather is starting to abate a bit, tonight is perfect. Must be getting time for a Fall ride. My bike is well shod and up to date in the service dept. Went to the UN in East Tennessee/West N Carolina and had a great time riding down there and I am ready for more. This being my first Torrey will someone have some routes written down to fill my days when there? Or destinations within reach in a day ride?

Larry

Kenny Haynes

Torrey newbie but hope to make it next month for at least part of it. Any hope for a room at this point?

Not much chatter out there about Fall Torrey. Here, in SW Ohio the hot humid weather is starting to abate a bit, tonight is perfect. Must be getting time for a Fall ride. My bike is well shod and up to date in the service dept. Went to the UN in East Tennessee/West N Carolina and had a great time riding down there and I am ready for more. This being my first Torrey will someone have some routes written down to fill my days when there? Or destinations within reach in a day ride?

Larry

There aren't any designated GPS routes or maps of rides that I know of, the kind offered or handed out... I've never seen them if they exist.

Great roads in the area. There will be different groups and one day rides. You'll enjoy what ever you choose, it's a great area!

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=971807&page=2

The Gooseberry-Fremont Road to Hwy72 is an easy one day ride. The Burr Trail and Boulder Mountain another. There's much to do and great riding!

If you have time there are the national parks, Zion, Bryce etc.

How many days are you coming out for?

:wave:

I have room booked 22 thru 24. Thursday night was booked up when I made my reservation. May call Michelle and ask if anything opened up Thurs night.

Larry

There used to be on this very forum about 5 "official" rides. How to access them, where they are, where the link is, or if the rides are still listed here, no one seems to know.

dc

I don't remember the rides being posted here, but they were on Bob Palin's web page "How long to Torrey?"

However, it looks like Bob didn't renew that domain registration, so that page is no longer available.

On that page, there were links to Google Maps of those rides. I think Twisties made the maps.

I think the rides were:

Huntington Canyon

Fish Lake

Sweeper Madness

Burr Trail

Highway 12 to Escalante

I believe you are right that those are the rides. And perhaps that Bob Palin set up the link from the calendar or something. I wonder if they could bring those back.

dc

Doug_Baliko

I asked to be put on the wait list for a cabin or a room. Hopefully something will open up. Looking forward to meeting some of the people on this board.

Doug

Are these roads paved? If some, which ones? On my Garmin Case Camp some look like trails. Not interested in trail riding with my R1200RT.

Edited by fastlarry
Are these roads paved? If some, which ones? On my Garmin Case Camp some look like trails. Not interested in trail riding with my R1200RT.

The Burr Trail is paved for about 30plus miles from Boulder.

Then it turns to gravel... then it can turn to sand in some areas... then some deeper sand...

Not really recommended for a touring RT.

DAMHIKT :burnout:

Yes, they're paved with the exception of the 2nd half of the Burr Trail. I've ridden the first part on my RT. I think it's a must-do.

Here's a pic from this spring:

36255845932_4cea2494ee_c.jpgIMG_0013 by mnTwin, on Flickr

They are all paved, except for parts of Burr Trail. And you can enjoy the paved part of Burr Trail if you approach from the north, thru' Boulder and then stop and turn back where the pavement ends.

dc

Highway 261 is all paved too, except for a small part, which is the switchback part.

I never had any problem on Burr Trail with my RT. But then I did not take the Notom cutoff. And there was a lot of Harleys out there also.

dc

Edited by David13

Tight uphill switchbacks on a narrow gravel road take practice. Ain't risking my shiny R1200RT to get some practice. On pavement I stay off the brakes and add a little power to get through these in an elegant fashion. When there's no traction, I haven't a clue. Riding 50 years I never rode in the dirt except as necessary, and at 70-1/2 ain't going to start now.

• 2 months later...
Are there dates set for the 2018 spring and fall Torrey rallies? Much appreciated.

Doug

Always and forever: Spring Torrey is the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. Fall Torrey is the last full weekend in September (i.e., last weekend with all days still in September).