IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Took about a 75 mi ride this morning with a brand new set of PR4GTs. Quite a difference from the old tires. The turn-in is much smoother and it seems to take less steering effort for the same lean. No howl from the front end at 65+ any more either...I guess I was right in my suspicion that it was tire noise...the old front tire (a PR2) was pretty badly cupped. So far so good. Now to start wearing these out...

Fixed my dark speedometer. Needed Two bulbs and the tachometer needed one , so I just put in all new since it takes a day to tear into it and another day to put everything back. Don't even want to know what dealership would charge.

91ick5.jpg15zjwk5.jpg

Edited by Bigfish
Took about a 75 mi ride this morning with a brand new set of PR4GTs. Quite a difference from the old tires. The turn-in is much smoother and it seems to take less steering effort for the same lean. No howl from the front end at 65+ any more either...I guess I was right in my suspicion that it was tire noise...the old front tire (a PR2) was pretty badly cupped. So far so good. Now to start wearing these out...

Mark, I got really bad cupping on a couple sets of PR2s and not sure if it was the way I mounted the tire. On those sets, I would put the tire on and torque everything to spec. Then I read something to the effect of a bounce test. Before tightening everything up, (hand tight only) get on the bike and push down and pull up really hard for 5 or six times. In theory, it better sets the tire before final torque. Not 100% sure if this works, but I've had zero issues with cupping since doing this method. My last set of PR4s got 12,000 miles too.

Took a break from drywall mud in my house with the need for speed!

Took the K out for a quick 110 miles..........per hour.

Too bad you didn't get it in 5th and 6th gear...

2bikersandabordercollie

Building a new seat for two 45lb Border Collies (when Skye grows up)to commute to work with me.

When she was smaller (November '15) they fit into Tobi's seat:

IMG_0714.jpg

The new seat is a 'bit larger' and still needs some upholstering:

IMG_0743.jpg

Rode for the first time with my new, large, metal, custom knee brace.

Just a 100 miles, but seemed ok.

townsendside.jpg

Lone_RT_rider

We need to put an Aerostich logo on that thing and paint it hi-viz. ;)

townsendside.jpg

Edited by Lone_RT_rider

Townsend, Peter

townshend-300x300.jpg

to reduce weight bearing load and move it slightly inboard since surgery has not worked as well as we hoped.

Bit harder to throw a leg over the saddle.

:wave:

townsendside.jpg

can you still dunk?

Rode to work for the first time this year (60 miles). I had the Yacugar shocks rebuilt by Ted Porter over the winter and it was a noticeable improvement. Either that or Governor Snyder finally laid new pavement on I96 to stave off that impending recall this fall. :)

Some work on the '04RT over the winter which added to the placebo effect of a great ride this morning.

re-painted valve covers with new gaskets

new Paralever bearings, used a new special tool to accurately torque inside pivot pin. (think it was over-torqued before)

remove driveshaft, re-grease front and rear u-joints

Spline lube tranny output shaft, rear drive input shaft

Powder Coat center stand, side stand, replace center stand O-rings and grease

Oh, and new BMW riding pants and boots.

I'm ready!

RPG

Lone_RT_rider

I'm ready!

RPG

Yeah, well I am working on it too. On Saturday the charge up the mountain began. It may be a different bike than you think though. Back in the fall of 2013 I put my well loved R1100RT down in traffic. I rode the bike home, but it had a busted headlight, bent subframe and a couple of panels of tuberware that needed to be replaced. Well....it took a while, but....

We (special thanks to Chris Kinney!) are making it happen. :)

12798847_1661418170789761_156158693749257289_n.jpg

20160305_122338-XL.jpg

We got the subframe replaced and then re-installed all the wiring harness, windshield platform and motor, speedometer and anything around all that put back in place. I made a list of things that need to yet be purchased and piled the panels into the truck this morning. I am off to the painter after work today. :)

We got so much accomplished and had so much time left over that we went for a ride in the North GA mountains on Sunday. :) It was in the mid 60's and just a beautiful day for a ride.

12799356_1661418000789778_8630556613996899294_n-XL.jpg

12814646_1661418100789768_2155363911961448868_n-XL.jpg

12814308_1661418117456433_3228211676026348650_n-XL.jpg

12799104_1661418027456442_1650365916188571819_n.jpg

Saturday and Sunday I did the 12K service (163,000+ miles) and relocated the Autocom Logic from it's temporary location in the tank bag into the glove/radio box.

The amount of wires going into and out of the box was like a rats nest, but eventually I got it all stuffed into it.

But the test ride will have to wait until either this Saturday or next one on the way to the March SECFF lunch.

Here are a few pictures:

20160305_210359.jpg

20160305_210407.jpg

20160306_112247.jpg

Bottom of radio box.

20160306_112351.jpg

The final product inside the box.

20160306_112212.jpg

Oh, the rest of the 12K service was just the normal routine.

The reason for replacing the old Autocom unit with this battery powered unit is to try to tame the noises the new Garmin Zumo 590LM creates.

My old Autocom has served me well for over 260K+ miles.

2bikersandabordercollie
Now that has to change things! :eek:

Pat

It is definitely a little different, as the bike likes to

stand up" a little faster, and requires a little more counter-steer to initiate a turn. Once leaning, you can't tell at all.

Heck, I've had MC tires with big flat spots in the middle, three of them last year. (No don't do burnouts).

Jess_tobi_Dragon2-2.jpg

2bikersandabordercollie
Is that an auto tire ? Referring to the picture on page 222.

How's that working for you ?

We have different page numbers, but I caught on anyway. Yes, it is a Car tire, often called 'Dark Siding' when you use one instead of a MC tire. I am happy with it. I'll be happier if it outlasts my regular rear tires. I was getting about 5k or less from the Michelin PR4 GTs. I fully expect to get 25-30 from this tire, maybe substantially more; it costs less than $100 ($120 mounted).

2bikersandabordercollie

Added cushioning to the Dual Doggie Seat today. I was going to order some online, but the shipping cost was over half of the cost of the foam, and would have costs $85 shipped form sailrite.com

IMG_0753.jpg

Instead I went to Joann fabrics (joann.com) and purchased Nufoam, which is basically just Open Cell foam. The only problem was that I was limited to smaller size pieces, and had to assemble them. It still costs me less than half of having the correct size stuff shipped (and it wasn't even open cell foam).

Quick aside: Open cell foam does not sponge up water like most foams (which are called closed cell). Water just flows right through the stuff.

I used Super77 spray adhesive between the parts, then added the pipe/plumbing insulation on the outside edge when the dogs like to rest their chins when lieing down in the seat. I am currently waiting for it to dry. I made it so that the entire cushion, once the glue is dried, will come right out of the seat.

Next step is to start measuring and cutting the marine vinyl (also from joann fabrics) so we can sew the cover. I am planning for the cover to wrap over the edges of the seat and use stainless steel snaps, like the ones used for boat covers.

I re-discovered Huron River Drive. Running out of Ann Arbor, MI west, northwest about 18 miles, it's a nice meandering two laner along the beautiful Huron River.

RPG

Dean Wirsing

I installed DDM HID on my 07 RT. It was a pretty easy job, much easier than I thought it would be. Good thing I had ordered the kit in the winter, as both H7 bulbs just burned out.

Dean

Santa Clarita BMW had a ride sponsored by KLIM. About 30 bikes showed up. We ended up in Chilao campground off the Angeles Crest Highway for lunch. Along the way one of our group crashed into a canyon wall. His bike burst into flames and burned to a cinder. He was in some pain, shoulder injury. Ambulance took him away. Put a damper on the whole thing. Good weather. A total of 142 miles.

I did quick round trip to Phoenix, including a stunning, isolated romp through Anza Borrego Dessert State Park last night under a full moon. It was the most delicious part of my ride, and it was near the end of the ride, so yes, it's dessert, not desert.

It was an easy 800 miles on the little brick after getting it mechanically sorted and partially restored. Been trying to decide whether to go all-in and get the frame and wheels powdercoated.

Here's a pic from Glamis SVRA on Monday afternoon.

IMG_4683.jpg

With the great weather we've been having I decided to head north up the 5.Going down the Grapevine both sides of the hills were covered in flowers. Went as far the cutoff to McKittrick on the 58. Stopped at the Penny Bar and had lunch (a not so great chile verde burrito).

Went over to the 33 and went through Taft and Mariposa. Back on the 166 to the 5 again. About 240 miles.

Rode up onto Mogollon Rim, near Woods Canyon Lake (AZ). It was a lot colder up there than at home. Love those heated grips.

IMG_0164.jpg

My friend who lives in Temecula was taking a test ride on his first Beemer. I went with him. He got a 2016 GS. We went to Hells Kitchen off the Ortega Hwy for lunch. We switched bikes. I was way impressed. That GS was awesome. He liked my RT but I don't think he was that impressed.

• 3 weeks later...

Put new tires, PR4 GTs, on in anticipation of my trip to Manzanita, OR. My friend who lives there says the rain has slowed down a bit, but it still rains just about every day. The rubber was getting thin on the back tire but still good for a another trip. I chickened out. Why take a chance.

And.......raced home last night to install my new Odyssey 680 and rode to work in the pouring rain this morning. Ohh, it felt so good. :)

RPG

Got the Doctor's okay to ride again earlier this week. After prepping the bike, today I went for a short (84 mile) loop out to the coast and back on a beautiful spring day.

Marty Hill

Rode about 50 miles and looked at the pacific ocean. Will do it again tomorrow.

Lunch at my fave oyster joint, the Marshall Store on the 1. Life is very good! :thumbsup:

Norcal_Rider

A new AGM battery and an oil change for me today. I also ran circuits for a mini fuse block for future farkle usage.

lawnchairboy

PR4's and an oil change for the RT. Did it alone, probably won't be able to walk tomorrow...state inspection as well.

Edited by lawnchairboy
Marty Hill

Rode to lunch at Duartes Tavern in Pescadero, Ca. Cioppino and Ollieberry pie.

Best meal in years. 54 temp on the 1 headed south. Gotta love this place.

Didn't ride a single mile...but did finish loading for my trek to Alaska. I'm only 66 so in Marty years I've got a long ways to go.

Nobody should rush retirement but dang nice when you arrive.

I rode 200 miles in AZ and hit a snake crossing the road. That is a first for me. Nonetheless a great day to ride

Steve...where'd you go? I'm always looking for new rides around here.

I ran over a rattlesnake on my CB350 on my way to work many years ago, up on Bell Road in Scottsdale west of the airport. It was open desert then...all housing developments and shopping centers now.

Back in the late '70s I lived off Litchfield Road north of Luke AFB. My girlfriend lived just off Bell Road and 43rd Ave. Took me 20 minutes on my Honda 750 (obeying the speed limit). About 10 years ago I retraced that route with my kids - total time 1:20.

The Rocketman

Installed a set of Beemer Boneyard upper windshield arms on my '09RT (just in case).

I forgot how much fun it was to pull the nose off the bike. Woo! Hoo!

Oh yeah...also adjusted the shift lever to better fit my new boots.

One spline up resulted in an inch difference which was too much. Adjusted the threaded rod, and got to about 1/2" which is where I really wanted it.

Edited by The Rocketman

Quality time in the garage. Stripped off all the plastic of the RTW, changing the air filter, oil and filter, and cleaned up the Clearwater wire routing.