IGNORED

Putting the G back in G/S

roadscholar

Was everyone running 3 gal. tanks or are some stock? I can't believe KTM puts such dinky tanks on these bikes. Now the WR was little, but we got almost 60mpg on our trip two years ago.

roadscholar

Some were stock but we didn't go much over 100 miles in a sitting. You'll need a break from one of those before you need gas : )

I checked the WR's mileage one tank in Co. after a mixed bag of riding including some 75+ mph hiway cruising and it got 83mpg, I couldn't believe it.

It was the 16 up in New Hampshire with 950 miles. The young guy that had it was on the ball, no reservations buying from him! :thumbsup: 5k! :clap: Just a few miles so far but I owe you for nudging me this way! :thumbsup:

Pat

Marty Hill

Pat, don't fill up the garage. I'm coming in sept. :dopeslap:

PS, enjoy the new bike. :thumbsup:

Edited by Marty Hill

Great buy. A 16 for 5k. :clap: now you should feel bad for not spending enough money. Call and I will tell you how to spend 2-3k on farkles. :rofl:

I'm thinking I can get out of this farkle business with a tail rack & bag, case protection and maybe a seat. Heck that should be less than a grand! ;)

Doug... :rofl:

employee-performance-review-not-listening.jpg

Pat

roadscholar
I'm thinking I can get out of this farkle business with a tail rack & bag, case protection and maybe a seat. Heck that should be less than a grand! ;)

I've got an extra aftermarket seat around somewhere. Not as good as the Sargent here (for me) but you're welcome to it, I think it's better than stock (a little lower too).

IMG_1130-XL.jpg

I had the Sargent seat on my WR and liked it. Also I liked the Moose plastic skid plate. Very little reflected sound from motor. My friend had an aluminum one and he did not like the noise.

This followed me home yesterday.

IMG_2983%20Custom_zpsfdeic984.jpg

Now, since I can't mount the bike or touch the ground, today it looks like this.

IMG_3324%20Custom_zpsc5lxvn3x.jpg

So far I added the KTM comfort seat,larger rear sprocket, footpegs I like and an aftermarket side stand that will be cut down and new foot welded on when I get the bike lowered a bunch. :dopeslap: Heading to the suspension guru tomorrow. Hope I can get it ready for the Blackdog Dual Sport ride near Mt.Hood, OR June 4th and 5th. Lot's to do.

Thanks Bill, the Sargent looks like the ticket though! :thumbsup:

Doug, was looking at the MR plastic skid plate but then came across this one. http://www.evotech-performance.com/yamaha-wr250-r-2008-onwards-black-sump-guard

I like the clean look and was thinking with the holes cut in it, you wouldn't get the engine feedback that I've heard about. That would drive me nuts! :eek:

Love that KTM, BTW! :clap:

Pat

Bill was that pic taken within a day's ride from camp for you? Wouldn't mind getting over that way also! :thumbsup:

Pat

roadscholar

Pat, that's white rim trail near Moab, it's best to do it Spring or Fall when it wouldn't be so hot, but I guess you could check the forecast. You're exposed at least 6 hours with no shade. The other thing is you have to call or email for a reservation now, they're limiting the number of people each day, but have heard they make it pretty easy.

Pat, the guard is cute but does not protect the front side of the motor as well as the Moose or most of the aluminum ones I have seen the way they wrap around. I had an aluminum one on my DR that was Line-X coated. Not bad on noise.

Bill, how do they limit White Rim use? When we rode it years ago, 107 that day, we went in thru the Park entrance and then down Shafer Trail. I have looked at a map recently and thought if I could do it again, I would turn left at the river just outside of Moab and follow the river to the potash ponds and go around from there. Would not go down Shafer but maybe could make the turn and go up and turn around and come down. However, it is not really that big of deal. Just a downhill wide road. Neat to see, sort of like the Burr Trail switch backs.

White Rim would almost reach the limit of the WR's range with it's small tank. My KTM will be worse so don't know how to handle that since there is no frame to mount side racks or such. The WR was much easier to deal with as for my bucket trip I had a left side only rack built to carry a Rotopax. Worked great and counter balanced the heavy muff. Guess if I ever ride that far I will have to carry a couple bottles in my backpack of just install a 3 gal tank on the KTM but that makes the bike illegal as you have to remove some legal parts as no aftermarket tank fits with the evaporative cannister on the bike. Sure wish KTM made a larger tank that fit with all the legal stuff intact. The stock tank does?

Maybe we need to plan a White Rim ride someday? But at 71 I may run out of riding time. I'm getting pretty stiff and weak these days and too lazy to do much about it. That's why I usually try to go with my young friend to pick up the bike when I screw up. On last years trip it took two of us to pick up my neighbors DR the three times he bailed. Twice within a hundred feet going up Engineer. :dopeslap: Sometimes you just need to air down. 30 psi is a little much! :grin:

roadscholar

107 is getting a little warm for my liking but I know it's a dry heat. It was 82 when we did it in May two years ago which was about perfect, I wore normal gear (non mesh) and was fine.

You can take Potash Rd w/o having to talk to anyone but you may run into a ranger somewhere and they'll probably want to see your permit, plus it's more miles that way. This is something they started this year to limit traffic because it was likely getting crazy on weekends, no more than 3 motorcycles in a group. They're checking sound too, 80 decibels I think?

We went in the park entrance and could fit the short car and trailer in a slot at the visitor center.

IMG_1090-XL.jpg

Also never having seen it, it was kind of daunting pulling up here and thinking, dang what a cool road down there. Then it hit me, 'you bumpkin that's where you're going' :grin:

IMG_1101-XL.jpg

From where we started it was 100 miles r/t, the wr fuel light came on at about 95 miles (which means you've only used about 1.2 or 1.3 gallons) and the drz was on reserve the last 15 or 20 miles but it made it. I think you could squeeze 160 out of the wr (on one tank I checked it got 83 mpg in mixed use) and WRT is all scenic, fairly slow speed stuff.

Anyway my buddy Dave is the kind of guy that's going to take everything whether I do or not so I let him : )

IMG_1157-XL.jpg

The Shafer switchbacks are the way down (or up) and yes easy, but pretty cool if you've never done them.

IMG_1108-XL.jpg

The other end took a little more concentration (don't look down) because the road's only a lane wide in places but still no biggie (just don't attempt when wet).

IMG_1220-XL.jpg

Doug I hear ya about getting old, I'm probably about ready for the t-shirt that says "just put me on the bike" : ) But yeah I'm up for doing it again, let's discuss it.

Edited by roadscholar

Check out my international farkle. I've got a German BMW Zumo with an American Harley Davidson GPS mount plate on a Japanese Yamaha WR. Man if this keeps up i'll have to dig out the old Ricky Nelson vinyl! :grin: Are there GPS maps on some of the not so traveled routes in Co? Or, are we talking paper & don't lose sight of Bill? :D

image_zpsb4psuytx.jpg

Pat

Pat, looking at your bike pic, that skid plate you linked is probably ok if you leave the white deflectors on. I had to remove mine to use the Moose.

As I remember, most of the roads Bill sent me to on my Bucket Ride were numbered county roads and I think they were on my gps with City Maps only. I had the Topo but did not use it. But I'm old and may be wrong. :(

Bill, good pics.

You get better mileage than the two WR's I bought. 60 mpg was best. The first dual sport ride I did in OR, we both hit low fuel light at about 92 as I remember. I think when we finally filled up at about 110 miles they were nearly empty. Also my CA WR tank held less gas than the other 49 states. 1.9gal. for CA. I'm hoping the KTM get's about 50?

Somewhere on the White Rim, my computer hit 65. We were not wasting too much time and we took a couple side trips down to the river. Back in the time when we did the ride we did not see anyone. Except at the far end by the Green River there was a load of drunk kids in a Jeep with a couple half naked girls. Did not get pics :dopeslap:

If they check for 80db, I have no bike that will do that and they all have stock mufflers. My DR was slightly louder than that at idle. I never tested the WR. I'm told a KTM 350 blows about 92-93 db at the tested 5k/20" test. Wnen I get the KTM suspension back on, I will do an idle and 5k test. I have a good sound meter. If I get to OR for the Blackdog, they test for 94db.

Pat, looking at your bike pic, that skid plate you linked is probably ok if you leave the white deflectors on. I had to remove mine to use the Moose.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I know they're only plastic but should do the trick if need be.

Pulled this pic from TT.

DSCN2843.JPG

Pat

Good pic. Only problem I could maybe see is a good CO rock could damage the frame as it is not protected. But then again, Bill has pics of his super moto and it has no plate.

roadscholar
Check out my international farkle. I've got a German BMW Zumo with an American Harley Davidson GPS mount plate on a Japanese Yamaha WR. Man if this keeps up i'll have to dig out the old Ricky Nelson vinyl! :grin: Are there GPS maps on some of the not so traveled routes in Co? Or, are we talking paper & don't lose sight of Bill? :D

Nice Pat, plenty of GPS stuff there in fact just about everywhere there's a jeep or atv trail, tho not much singletrack. No need to follow me but I like the company : )

roadscholar

You get better mileage than the two WR's I bought. 60 mpg was best. The first dual sport ride I did in OR, we both hit low fuel light at about 92 as I remember. I think when we finally filled up at about 110 miles they were nearly empty. Also my CA WR tank held less gas than the other 49 states. 1.9gal. for CA. I'm hoping the KTM get's about 50?

If they check for 80db, I have no bike that will do that and they all have stock mufflers. My DR was slightly louder than that at idle. I never tested the WR. I'm told a KTM 350 blows about 92-93 db at the tested 5k/20" test. Wnen I get the KTM suspension back on, I will do an idle and 5k test. I have a good sound meter. If I get to OR for the Blackdog, they test for 94db.

A couple things on the mileage. It was in Colorado and I believe it's better at higher altitude, maybe. Plus the 250X is geared longer than the R and the windshield probably helps with aerodynamics some.

I saw the 80db on a website somewhere, sounds crazy, I doubt any bike could pass that. Maybe a phone call is in order.

The 60 mpg was in CO on the routes you were kind enough to give me for my trip. But we both were geared down some. Don't remember how much on the rear and whether we also went down on the counter. I remember revving the poop out of 'em going up Schofield. :) Seems to me we were also spinning the revs in first on part of Imogene near the top. Even with our gearing we could not stay in 2nd.

roadscholar
Seems to me we were also spinning the revs in first on part of Imogene near the top. Even with our gearing we could not stay in 2nd.

Did Imogene on a drz250 last year with one tooth up on the counter (longer gearing), bad idea! Not only that but it was jetted for sea level which made it touch and go in a few places. I'd rev it as high as it would go popping and sputtering then slip the clutch in 1st and hope for the best. It really was close to not making it but I think there might have been some Divine Intervention or something going on : )

IMG_1685-L.jpg

I was looking at the pics from our first trip up Imogene in '95. Two DR 350's, a XR650L and a KTM 640. We went up from the Ouray side and down into Telluride. We had met up with another rider in town and he joined us on a Suzuki 250 something or other. We spend some time helping him push it thru a few steep spots. It had NO giddy-up. We felt in those days our DR's were the smallest motors for the job.

Now almost 20 years later on the WR250's, even though we wished for more low end power, we have talked that they probably worked as well or better than our old DR's. Even with the lack of power, the fuel injection motors ran well. Gotta spin em.

I really liked my DR650 the way it was set up last year. I will probally miss it for it's low end power. But to me it is not a trail bike if lots of tight stuff is added. But I don't ride enduro type trails anymore. It's biggest problem was I have to take along a young, strong co-pilot to pick up the heavy beast when I BIFF. :eek:

I spent a lot of time pooh poohing the little 250, I shouldn't have. I'm wearing a grin like you would not believe right now! :grin:

image.jpg1_zpsdvatmp8e.jpg

image.jpg2_zps7tkirzpu.jpg

Pat

roadscholar

I usually try to avoid saying "I told ya so", but I told ya so. :grin::thumbsup:

btw that was a smokin' deal on a great looking bike!

Edited by roadscholar

Ok, the kick in the arse is deserved & accepted! :grin:

I ordered a tail bag yesterday from Wolfman that was recommended because it fit the Yamaha OEM rack near perfectly. Come to find out this morning, the rack was discontinued from Yamaha for whatever reason! :dopeslap:

A little bike shop in town did a nation wide search for me using the part # and found two, one in MT. and one in WA. I got the one in MT! :clap:

Pat

I try putting factory things on my bikes for the most part, just me! :dopeslap: I do think it's a better looking unit than most out there.

Ride Motorsports 1 425 487-3881 talk to Shawn in parts.

I just called & he does have it there, 12 bucks cheaper than what I just paid. Sit down, it's $259.00. :eek:

Pat

This rack fits the WR perfectly and the Wolfman tailbag. I used mine for the bag and my friend carried his Rotopax there. My side rack on the left side only balanced out the bikes heavy muffler. My friend would not carry a Rotopax there again. He would do like I did. We both used the narrow rack.

http://www.scaggsmotodesigns.com/wr250r---x.html

However, the tail bag is what caused me to crash trying to get off the bike on my "Bucket Ride" the first day. :dopeslap: No more tail bags for this guy. :P

photo%204%20Custom_zps8w1uni77.jpg

No kidding! :grin:

37%20WR250R%20RackSideView.JPG

Doug......you just made me feel really stuuuuupid! :rofl:

That one looks very nice! :thumbsup:

Pat

Did you order it? Can it be cancelled or sent back? I have never seen one of those. One advantage also to the Skaggs is it weighs almost nothing. I bought mine when he was first going into business and trying different designs.

roadscholar

Well they're both nice but I like the Rotopax/Givi compatability option on the Skaggs, good find Doug.

Did you order it? Can it be cancelled or sent back?

I'm not sure how quickly they boxed it up but did say a 20% restocking fee and obviously return shipping. I guess I'll stay the course on this one.

Pat

roadscholar
Need another GIVI box? I have an almost new one I bought for the KLR and then upgraded to a larger one for riding with the wife on both the KLR and GS.

http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/cases/monolock-cases/e340na-34ltr-matte-black-case-detail

No I'm good Doug but thanks, have a couple of the older style. It's what caught my eye on that rack, the little kit that lets you mount them. Although I do have an old style KLR rack sitting around too so may delve into some fabricating shenanigans before making the investment, we'll see how that works out : )

From the reviews so far, this is probably almost as bad as "A Story Worth Living" but hey, at least it's free. :grin:

My WR in and around Tewksbury.

I've been playing with loading maps into my old Zumo 550 and issues with updates and me not knowing what I'm doing have me less than confident the routes are going to be correct.

Doug or Bill, does 21 miles from Silverton to Telluride via Black Bear sound about right?

Thanks,

Pat

roadscholar

Oh boy, we're in trouble now! :grin: Nice to see you have some trails close by Pat.

21 miles sounds about right but most of the roads/trails are marked so with a local map you can find just about everything.

Actually I just checked, 21.8, I think you're on it.

As I remember, the turn off to Ophir is about 22 from Ouray and Black Bear is before that. Heading back out of Silverton sounds about right.

Nice video. Glad you are pumped. And remember, you can make it work a little better in the dirt by dropping the counter one or the rear 3-4. It will still do about the same top speed as the lower gearing helps the motor pull in 5th and 6th.

Getting delusions of grandeur are we? :grin: Not for me anymore. Actually in '95 we went up it. I had an older map that said it was 2-way. So my young friend went right up on his DR350. Then a deputy sheriff showed up and threatened jail time. :dopeslap: So, Erik came back down. We were at the top of the last switchback before the steps when we were nabbed. Think it was '97 went I went down it.

Getting delusions of grandeur are we? :grin:

I've been subscribing to that most of my life, why stop now? :rofl:

Yeah, I may crap my pants half way up but I think it's something I must try! No, not crapping my pants, riding Black Bear. :grin:

Will no doubt work up to B/B on other routes first.

Thanks guys!

Pat

Getting up to the top of BB is no big deal from 550. It's the elevator drop down the steps getting to the switchbacks that would freak me out these days, especially on a tall bike that I can't touch the ground

The gold silver ok ok, steel rack from Yamaha showed up today. :/ Nice piece but it should have been a hundred dollars less. Then again, it was one of only two left in the country and they're not making any more of them. See, it's all about the spin. I feel much better now! :grin:

image_zpsbfk7bsw0.jpg

image_zpsw4msigfl.jpg

Pat